Which rooms should you avoid?

mountainhouse

We talk a lot about the best rooms. I'm guessing over 90% of the rooms are very nice, BUT which ones should you avoid??

On the Grand Princess, I noticed the aft hallway on the Aloha deck was quite noisy. Machinery noise. Maybe there's a gally there. I don't know. This would be about A522 to A633. I'm sure it's quieter in the cabins, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Personally, I try to avoid rooms that are right above a show lounge. I don't care for the thump of the bass (I usually retire early).

I also try to avoid rooms that are directly under the pool deck - don't want to hear lounge chairs being dragged across the deck at 5am.

Too far forward may bring anchor chain and thruster noise, depending on deck.

Given my druthers, I like to have passenger cabins above me, below me, and on both sides of me.

I'm not really sure there is a such a thing as a "bad" cabin. If you like to spend a lot of time on your balcony, the BE and BF balconies on Emerald deck on the Grand-class ships might not be great. These are the ones that have the upper part of the promenade deck going past them, so you will get foot traffic by there for most of the day. I believe it is roped off at night. On Grand Princess, these would be cabins E201-208.

I'm not really sure there is a such a thing as a "bad" cabin. If you like to spend a lot of time on your balcony, the BE and BF balconies on Emerald deck on the Grand-class ships might not be great. These are the ones that have the upper part of the promenade deck going past them, so you will get foot traffic by there for most of the day. I believe it is roped off at night. On Grand Princess, these would be cabins E201-208.

I beg to differ on these cabins...the balconies are HUGE and protected from the environs. Made for a nice "living room". The passengers walking past are 1/2 deck down and can't see in and you can hardly see them. Since the Promenade deck has stairs while walking around, not that many people use it. We love these cabins!!

Is there such a thing as a bad cabin? Let's see.... I'm not at work, I'm being waited on like I'm crown royalty, I can eat 24hrs a day. Nope I don't think there is a bad cabin on a cruise!!!!!:rolleyes:

I would avoid cabins on lower decks anywhere near the disemarkation doors. They are very noisy on port days. I would also avoid cabins next to where luggage is processed as the last night, this is very noisy. Like Michael, I'll never have a cabin again on the top deck of cabins. I was awakened every day at 5:30 by furniture being moved and chairs being stacked or unstacked. It was horrible.

I agree with Michael. I had a room on the Aloha deck right underneath the pool deck and VERY near the Horizon court. Throughout the day and into the night all I heard when in the room was the scraping of tables and chairs above as people came from the Horizon court buffett to sit out by the pool. Granted it wasn't loud, but very annoying. Long story short... I will never, never get a cabin under the pool again. :cool:

I beg to differ on these cabins...the balconies are HUGE and protected from the environs. Made for a nice "living room". The passengers walking past are 1/2 deck down and can't see in and you can hardly see them. Since the Promenade deck has stairs while walking around, not that many people use it. We love these cabins!!

Maybe you should have kept that your little secret. :) I've wondered about those cabins when going past. Some people might not like the traffic, just like some don't like the exposed Dolphin deck minisuite balconies. Those have never been a problem for us.

Spongerob: You are so right...I really think they are great secret! They are also the least expensive balcony cabins!! However, I would always share with fellow CCer's!!! :D Until you see these balconies, it's hard to believe. We had a small table, large table, 2 lounge chairs, plus 2 straight back chairs for "al fresco" dining. All this and plenty of space to walk around. I noticed that on the CB, Diamond and Sapphire, these have been eliminated.

Was reading this thread and became worried. We will be traveling on the CB and are staying mid-ship Aloha deck. I thought Riviera Deck was above us, not the pool. Hard to tell by deck plans. Am I wrong? Don't want to be on this deck if I am right under the pool! Thanks...:(

We loved these cabins, too! All the negative comments about these cabins seem to be from those who have not stayed in them.

Naturally I've really been looking forward to our Island Princess cruise and then I read "Cabins to Avoid". We are booked in cabin Aloha 330 and now I'm worried. From what I've read on these boards its too far forward so we'll really feel motion and also get to listen to scraping chairs from dawn till dusk (oh and of course there's really no dusk). Somebody please tell me its not as bad as its portrayed. Thanks. I guess the covered balcony is a plus on rainy days!

I agree with you that these balconies are huge....and really enjoyed them. But people walking past us could definitely see into our room and balcony...we were E208 on the Golden. Most folks were a little embarrassed to be caught looking in and gave a sheepish "hello". But we didn't care, the size of the balcony was worth it.

If you want privacy in your room, close the drapes! :p

We would probably stay in those rooms again, but they are also directly above the Princess Theatre....and get a little noise during rehearsal and show times....but we're on vacation and who cares! :D

Ali27-We were on the Island two weeks ago in Aloha 218, which is about as far forward as you can get without standing by the Captain. :D Having never cruised before, I was worried about ship's motion, but all we ever felt was a very slow, gentle rocking motion, never bothered us a bit. This wasn't constant either-most of the time we couldn't feel it at all. I took Bonine the first couple of days, but stopped taking it after that and was fine. Although there's no guarantee of good weather, I understand that Inside Passage sailing is more protected, so the seas are mostly calm.

We also did hear some noise from above ( I assume from the Horizon Court) at times, but never enough to bother us or keep us from sleeping.

Don't worry, I think you will enjoy your Aloha deck cabin--and you are right, the covered balcony is a big plus.

You can often find a map of the ship on the cruise line's website.

On our last cruise, we were on the Mariner of the Seas, which is a fabulous ship. However, our room was on deck 2 and sometimes we could hear mechanical noises coming from the ship's engine room. It was only noticeable once, when we were pulling into Nassau and we could hear the azipods turning, speeding up and slowing down, and that was only because we were awake.

On the mornings when the boat docked in St. Thomas and Sint Maarten, we slept in and didn't hear a things.

If you are sensitive to slight noises, I recommend getting a cabin that isn't on the lowest deck where they have rooms.

Was reading this thread and became worried. We will be traveling on the CB and are staying mid-ship Aloha deck. I thought Riviera Deck was above us, not the pool. Hard to tell by deck plans. Am I wrong? Don't want to be on this deck if I am right under the pool! Thanks...:(

The Riviera deck is above you. The CB is the only ship with the Riviera deck, so in CB that is the deck with the pool on top, not Aloha.

travelocity is great for looking at cabin layout, deck by deck (and checking room availability). that doesn't mean you must book there.

also one other note: i booked my parents room---Aloha midship balcony, trying to be thoughtful because they were worried about movement. For the first five days, my mom kept hearing all this music during her afternoon nap time....and only then did she realize it was the pool band up above. They were in A433. I don't think it was so bad with balcony door shut. And eventually, once she knew what it was, she came to like it.

Don't get a cabin next to the engine room! We recently got a great deal on a last minute cruise to Bermuda on the Celebrity Horizon. The price was too good not to take. Our cabin was an inside on the lowest deck possible next to the engine room. Okay, we thought, great deal, we're not in the cabin much only to sleep and change clothes. Man, when that engine starts up, you jump outta bed! But hey, I can put with anything as long as I'm on a cruise!!:D

All rhis talk of rooms under the pool deck has me worried. I was planning on trying to get a cabin in the 700 section of the Riveria deck. Thought it would be nice to be one flight of stairs away from the buffet to get food and bring it down to the balcony. Also very close to the aft pool. Is it very noisy with chairs being moved around? Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins?

I also try to avoid rooms that are directly under the pool deck - don't want to hear lounge chairs being dragged across the deck at 5am.

Isn't that the truth. We learned the hard way about that on our last cruise. That is some kind of loud screeching noise every morning when you're not even awake. Lesson learned.

We were upgraded to an obstructed view on the Emerald deck in May. It was cool to have the window and very very uncool to have the THUMP! THUMP! THUMB! from the Wheelhouse Lounge right below us. It was a case of 40 minutes of play and 20 minutes of lounge music from 6pm to 12:30am and basically sucked. But it is also one of those things you put up with because you are on a ship and cruise.

We met some folks on the Carnival Inspiration who had cabins on the same level as the pool part of the swimming pool. We had some bounce weather and they listened to the waves spash up against their wall for three days. ew.

On some of the really really old ships, the rooms near the engine room had vibrating floors when the engine was running. It was like a foot massage, but it also got a little old.

Still, going on a cruise beats not going on a cruise.

Archived