Bring own food on?

Just to hopefully set your mind more at ease, I will tell you what I witnessed on a February, 2012 cruise on RCL(Serenade).

We were eating in the dining room when I became aware of a woman breathing very laboriously at a table very near ours. I found out later that she was allergic to pepper. However, she ate off a table mate's plate. The kitchen staff were aware of her problem ahead of time and had done an excellent job of accommodating her needs. She really should have not eaten off someone else's plate!

She was obviously in respiratory distress. I was amazed that in less than 2 minutes, a doctor and her staff were at this woman's side. The doctor had an oxygen mask on her and gave her an epi pen injection. They loaded her into a wheelchair and had her out of the dining room within 5 minutes. I got up and started to ask people to get up and make way for her removal.

The medical team came and went from the back of the dining room. I figured that they must have an elevator back there.

She was happily eating dinner the next evening.

If this had happened on land, at a restaurant, I very much doubt that this lady would get such prompt attention. Rest assured that the medical staff is well trained in such emergencies. I agree with previous posters that you should contact the special needs department to inform them of the situation.

I have emailed special needs dept for Royal Caribbean (my Dad heard they are REALLY good with accommodating these needs) but I have not heard back yet. Also, I read the complete review that someone posted here of a family that went on a B2B cruise who has a daughter with severe food allergies.

Many people cruise with food allergies so I am sure my nephew can too. My sister, one who only cooked simplicity foods for her and DH, now cooks a wide variety of foods for her, her DH and son.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Forums mobile app

A cheap, small microwave doesn't draw any more power than a hair dryer.

Again, its not about the electrical power, its about USPH requirements. I'm frankly surprised to see a microwave onboard, as this would tacitly encourage people to bring food onboard. Generally, only ready to eat food in factory sealed packaging is allowed. I understand that suite guests may want to reheat things that the ship has provided, but generally, cooking outside of the ship's galleys is not allowed (crew are not allowed to cook, or even have food stored in their cabins). While many would say that the kitchen and microwave is strictly for the use of the suite occupants, and this could be the case, there is nothing to stop them from having a party and giving other guests food cooked (possibly improperly) in the microwave, that was tainted without their knowing it. A stretch, I'll admit, but I will have to look at the USPH VSP to see how this is covered.

Archived