Bring own food on?

My nephew has severe food allergies to eggs, strawberries, watermelon, wheat, soy, etc. The list is pretty long, however my sister has been able to find foods he can eat (most organic), and avoids what he can't have. In his 3 years of life, he's done pretty darn well, not having a reaction.

My Dad and I are cruise-aholics and she's now agreed to go on a cruise, so long as she can bring his food on. There is enough food out there now that she can by and bring on herself, as long as it's closed/unopened. (This I know is ok.)

However, my question would be, how hard would it be to find a microwave for the food? Would a server in the windjammer or buffet area be so kind to heat it up without it touching any other food?

Are there certain rooms that possibly have microwaves (I highly doubt this)?

Thank for your help. I have heard that RCCL is pretty darn good about food allergies and being very accommodating.

Not only are there no microwave ovens in the cabins, having one in the cabin is probably prohibited due to the fact that it's a potential fire hazard. Bringing on food other than pre-packaged items is also generally prohibited. Furthermore the cruise line will only prepare food that it has purchased and will not prepare food that a passenger has brought on board as there are liabilities concerns.

RCCL has dealt with many passengers with severe food allergies. You need to contact Royal's Access department directly to find out for certain what you can and can't bring on board. Also to find out how Royal can accommodate your nephew.

Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622

While I realize that a microwave is a hazard to have in a room, I'm sure they have microwaves behind closed doors. I can't see how heating up a plate of chicken nuggets or something would be difficult/asking too much.

Thank you, I'll call them to see what they recommend.

While I realize that a microwave is a hazard to have in a room, I'm sure they have microwaves behind closed doors. I can't see how heating up a plate of chicken nuggets or something would be difficult/asking too much.

actually it probably won't be allowed.. the microwaves are not for personal use. they will also not likely do it for you.

No microwaves available to passengers. They are not allowed in cabins because they draw an enormous amount of electricity.

As explained, there are liability issues.

You must contact special_needs@rccl.com (mind the underscore)

It is not that it is a lot of work or time consuming for a crew/staff member to microwave your food, but more so that the cruise line likely has a policy (for liability purpose) that they do not handle food not sourced by the cruise line. I agree that it is best you are calling them directly; they are experienced dealing with a vast array of dietary restrictions and most people have had positive feedback on how everything was handled on board.

As a sidebar, I did once have a microwave in my room on sister line Celebrity, but it was in a large suite. Not sure if the large suites on RCI have this feature - but there is a chance some rooms may have microwaves.

It is not an RCI or any line's policy not to handle food that it has not sourced. It is a USPH requirement that all food must be from accredited sources. Your best bet would be to contact RCI with a list of items he can eat, by brand, at least two months in advance, and they MAY try to accommodate you by getting the proper brands of food from their sources. This will all need to be worked out through the special needs department months in advance, and while I know some of the luxury lines will do this, I can't say whether RCI will, it will probably all depend on how restrictive the food list is. You would then need to meet with guest services once onboard, who will probably get you in contact with the Food & Beverage department to set up his diet with your meal times, etc. Whether room service would handle special requests like this, on a spontaneous request (he needs a snack in the evening) would be a different matter.

It is not that it is a lot of work or time consuming for a crew/staff member to microwave your food, but more so that the cruise line likely has a policy (for liability purpose) that they do not handle food not sourced by the cruise line. I agree that it is best you are calling them directly; they are experienced dealing with a vast array of dietary restrictions and most people have had positive feedback on how everything was handled on board.

As a sidebar, I did once have a microwave in my room on sister line Celebrity, but it was in a large suite. Not sure if the large suites on RCI have this feature - but there is a chance some rooms may have microwaves.

Actually the chance is 0 regarding microwaves in any RCL staterooms.

About a year ago, there was a long and interesting thread, posted by a woman who who cruised with a daughter who was extremely allergic to all sorts of food.

Does anyone remember it, or know how to locate it again? It might be interesting and informative for the OP and family.

Yes, I was just about to suggest looking for that thread...couldn't find it. It was a woman who did a review with her daughter's special needs diet. A long one. But there is a lot of information if you'll just do a search for "allergies" on this board!

Yes, I was just about to suggest looking for that thread...couldn't find it. It was a woman who did a review with her daughter's special needs diet. A long one. But there is a lot of information if you'll just do a search for "allergies" on this board!

Do you mean this thread:

B2B Monarch/Brilliance with A SOY DAIRY GLUTEN CORN SUGAR FREE KID*ALLERGIC TO CRAB*

Nope..Food is provided on the ship...Maybe a land vacation would be better where they would be access to a kitchen.

I am well aware food is provided on the ship, I have cruised quite a bit. On RCI's sister line, Celebrity, the largest suites have kitchens with microwaves. I was just curious if RCI's largest suites had the same.

This is in one of the suites on Celebrity's Millennium:

430566_10151360389805441_62182568_n.jpg

I am well aware food is provided on the ship, I have cruised quite a bit. On RCI's sister line, Celebrity, the largest suites have kitchens with microwaves. I was just curious if RCI's largest suites had the same.

Nope, no such thing on Royal Caribbean.

I would be interested to hear how you got on and maybe your research on how they handle situations like this might help others in similar circumstances.

Good luck - I would hate to think your nephew would have to miss out on cruising because of his allergies.

Maybe the OP's nephew should consider Celebrity..

This is in one of the suites on Celebrity's Millennium:

430566_10151360389805441_62182568_n.jpg

Sorry no microwave in any cabin let alone suites and I have been in almost every suite that there is. I bring nuts and candy on board for the crew and myself. Do what ever you wish, it's your vacation not mine. Have a good one.

For your heating needs please contact the special needs desk, they can give you the best answers)

You might want to reconsider the whole cruise thing and try something else.

A large part of cruising revolves around cuisine and it wouldn't be much fun having to prepare meals constantly.

I don't agree; this kid is only three years old, and I don't think his cruise experience will revolve around cuisine. Preparing meals for a three year old is not exactly taxing, IMHO. It sounds as if his mother has adjusted pretty well to his special needs, and will manage OK.

Teddie

Archived