Driving inSantorin, anyone done it?

ellie1145

NCL have changed the time and day of arrival at Santorini which we are really upset about as this is the port we hoped to see most of.

We do not arrive until 2.00 pm and after tendering we will undoubtedly have little time to see this beautiful island. They have also change the timing of Mykonos so leave mid afternoon. Another disappointment.

Has anyone hired a car in Santorini and what is the driving like? Are drivers fast, aggressive etc?

I realise roads are small but how feasible would it be to hire a car so we can see as much of the island as possible?

We did not rent a car but rented an atv and drove on the road with the cars. I don't think the driving there was aggressive at all. Nothing compared to the area i am used to driving. A lot of the roads we were on were not heavily traveled as well which made it quick to get around.

NCL have changed the time and day of arrival at Santorini which we are really upset about as this is the port we hoped to see most of.

We do not arrive until 2.00 pm and after tendering we will undoubtedly have little time to see this beautiful island. They have also change the timing of Mykonos so leave mid afternoon. Another disappointment.

Has anyone hired a car in Santorini and what is the driving like? Are drivers fast, aggressive etc?

I realise roads are small but how feasible would it be to hire a car so we can see as much of the island as possible?

We have rented a car. Easy to drive from town to town. Didn't experience aggressive driving.

We have driven, many times, on Santorini and love the convenience of a car since we like to go afar to places like Red Beach and some of the wineries. Driving is quite easy and traffic is never too heavy (except right around Fira). But with a 2 pm arrival we would not recommend getting car. Until you get ashore and up to town, and then walk through town to where most of the rental car agencies are located, it will probably be at least 3:30. By the time you do the paperwork it might be as late as 4 until you actually are good to go...and this is just too late to justify the hassle.

By the way, we have oft been critical of some of the cruise lines (NCL and HA in particular) for their scheduled port times. The cruise lines have been slowing down their ships in order to save on fuel costs (a slower ship burns much less fuel per mile) at the expense of port times. In fact, we now look very closely at the port times (and where a ship might be on Sundays) before we book a cruise.

Hank

We have driven, many times, on Santorini and love the convenience of a car since we like to go afar to places like Red Beach and some of the wineries. Driving is quite easy and traffic is never too heavy (except right around Fira). But with a 2 pm arrival we would not recommend getting car. Until you get ashore and up to town, and then walk through town to where most of the rental car agencies are located, it will probably be at least 3:30. By the time you do the paperwork it might be as late as 4 until you actually are good to go...and this is just too late to justify the hassle.

By the way, we have oft been critical of some of the cruise lines (NCL and HA in particular) for their scheduled port times. The cruise lines have been slowing down their ships in order to save on fuel costs (a slower ship burns much less fuel per mile) at the expense of port times. In fact, we now look very closely at the port times (and where a ship might be on Sundays) before we book a cruise.

Hank

Had a feeling this would be the case, as its too short a time, we are SO disappointed as now both Mykonos and Santorini have been messed up and are hardly worth going to.

We haven't been with NCL for years. Think it could be a big mistake. Never had this happen in over 30 cruises.

Had a feeling this would be the case, as its too short a time, we are SO disappointed as now both Mykonos and Santorini have been messed up and are hardly worth going to.

We haven't been with NCL for years. Think it could be a big mistake. Never had this happen in over 30 cruises.

DW would tell you that anytime in Santorini is good time :). Nothing wrong with spending a few hours in Fira, doing some shopping, enjoying the views, and sitting in a nice café.

Hank

DW would tell you that anytime in Santorini is good time :). Nothing wrong with spending a few hours in Fira, doing some shopping, enjoying the views, and sitting in a nice café.

Hank

Unfortunately I don't fly all that way just to do shopping for souvenirs! Nor do I want to sit in a cafe, beautiful though that may be.

We wanted to explore this beautiful island and see the amazing views, take lots of photos and dip our toes in the sea. We wanted to see the real Santorini not gift shops with stuff made in China!

It alway amazes me when people cruise the beautiful Caribbean and all they want to do is buy cheap alcohol and tatty souvenirs, rather than experience different cultures and scenery. I certainly don't want to visit Santorini and spend my time in the shops.

But each to their own.

Sorry, am just a bit miffed at NCL. Am sure they have their reasons - -apparently their was going to be congestion at Mykonos. But surely cruise ships decide their itineraries a year in advance so someone should have checked out how many ships there were going to be!

Now our longest stop is katakolon where there really is nothing to do or see unless you want along hot drive to the ruins at Olympia. Mykonos is a 2.00 pm arrival sadly, so with tendering it will be short and sweet.

Now it seems as if Santorini is an early morning arrival, 7.00 am so maybe this will be better than arriving mid afternoon.

Has anyone had experience of tendering here with NCL? Is it reasonably quick and well organised?

Hank

Just had an update on timings its going to be 7.00 am until 4.00 pm so do you think a car is viable on these timings?

Thanks for any advice, feel better now I've got it off my chest!:D

Just had an update on timings its going to be 7.00 am until 4.00 pm so do you think a car is viable on these timings?

Thanks for any advice, feel better now I've got it off my chest!:D

Perhaps. In your situation we would probably just check the various pricing from a few of the local rental car agenices (do this online) and reserve a car with a place that does not require a deposit or impose cancellation penalties. Then you can make your final decision once you get up to Fira. With a 4pm departure your last tender will probably be at 3:30 and you need to allow sufficient time (many would say at least 45 -60 min) to get the cable car back down to the tender pier. So you would have to return your car no later then 2:30 (and this is even cutting it a bit close) since it can take 15 min to walk from many of the rental car offices to the top cable car station. So when you take all this into consideration you would probably get about 5 hours of car time....which does give you a chance to do a few things. Given that rental car rates are pretty reasonable on the island this may not be a bad way to spend your day.

As to the tender situation, there are quite a few factors that are unpredictable. Assuming that your ship does a good job, and there are no other ships in port, things might flow well and most will be off the ship within 1 1/2 hours. NCL (like other lines) will give priority to their own excursions and everyone else will need to report to a lounge (they will tell you where and when) to get a tender ticket. We have found that with very early arrivals (7am is early) it is sometimes easy to get on a very early tender since many passengers are not running to get a tender ticket around 6am :) Keep in mind that once you are ashore you may still have to wait in a long queue to get on the cable car up to Fira (the only other options are to ride a donkey or walk up the donkey trail).

Hank

Thanks, Hank, that is most useful and informative. I have made some enquiries about cars but shall now ask about deposits etc.

It looks like a tight squeeze, but maybe if we are off early it is do-able.

Many thanks!

I wonder if there is any way of finding out how many ships are in Santorini that day?

As an alternative to a car rental, have you considered getting a boat charter? We did that, and boy were we glad we did. It allowed us to avoid the crazy wait in the old port to get up the cliff to Fira, as the boat was waiting for us as we got off the tenders. We went around the caldera, with several stops for swimming including the hot springs, and the scenery of the island from the water is DIFFERENT and breathtaking. Def would not get the same perspective from the land ... After 3 hours of cruising, we were dropped off in Ammoudi port (dock below village of Oia), went up the cliff to Oia (by donkeys), spent two hours in Oia (not to be missed), took a taxi back to Fira (20 min away) and then hiked down the donkey trail to catch the tender. And that's a wrap! Although we were on the island for 6-7 hours, I feel we accomplished a lot! and I have 500 photos to prove it, haha! Feel free to ask any other questions.

As an alternative to a car rental, have you considered getting a boat charter? We did that, and boy were we glad we did. It allowed us to avoid the crazy wait in the old port to get up the cliff to Fira, as the boat was waiting for us as we got off the tenders. We went around the caldera, with several stops for swimming including the hot springs, and the scenery of the island from the water is DIFFERENT and breathtaking. Def would not get the same perspective from the land ... After 3 hours of cruising, we were dropped off in Ammoudi port (dock below village of Oia), went up the cliff to Oia (by donkeys), spent two hours in Oia (not to be missed), took a taxi back to Fira (20 min away) and then hiked down the donkey trail to catch the tender. And that's a wrap! Although we were on the island for 6-7 hours, I feel we accomplished a lot! and I have 500 photos to prove it, haha! Feel free to ask any other questions.

Always learn something on this board! Great idea!

Can you post on how you got in touch with the boat rental place? I am sure many people would be interested.

Until you get ashore and up to town, and then walk through town to where most of the rental car agencies are located, it will probably be at least 3:30. By the time you do the paperwork it might be as late as 4 until you actually are good to go...and this is just too late to justify the hassle.

My ship arrives at 2PM and I intend to pick up a car at 4PM, return it at 8. Won't I see more with 4 hours of freedom in a car then a bus back and forth from Oia?

My ship arrives at 2PM and I intend to pick up a car at 4PM, return it at 8. Won't I see more with 4 hours of freedom in a car then a bus back and forth from Oia?

Am loving your attitude as this is the way we often think :). The only problem is that 4 hours really is going to limit your options. If you drive to Oia you are talking about 35 -40 min round trip...but its easy to spend a few hours just enjoying Oia. If you want to see more of the island you better "hit the ground running" and have a plan :).

Most folks would probably not want to spend the money on a rental car to simply go to Oia, but sometimes you have to go with what works best for you.

Hank

We have done it on a land based trip but never on a cruise. We actually took a motorcycle instead of a car. We had no issues and it gave us the ability to explore the island at our own pace. There are some out of the way places where the tours do not go. We enjoyed these very much. Not sure that I would do it if I only had a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you need an International driver's license in Santorini?

The short answer would be no! But, many would suggest that since the International Drivers Permit is so easy to obtain (at any AAA location) its a good document to have in your possession. We have frequently rented cars in Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and some other countries and nobody has ever asked to see the International Drivers Permit. However, technically it is required in some countries (such as Italy) and can be a minor issue if you get stopped by a cop for some kind of violation. But on Santorini nobody cares.

Hank

Archived