Is this ridiculous? Advice? TPA to MCO

irky416

We're cruising on the Legend at Christmas with our, then, 9 month old daughter. There's only 2 flights back home from Tampa that are nonstop. I refuse to take a connection for a 2 hour flight, turning it into 6+, especially now that we have the baby. One is 9 AM which we'll never make and the other isn't until 5.

I would hate to wait around until 5 even without the baby, but with the baby just makes this seem even more daunting. Getting up early that morning and then being out until 5 is probably going to be a bit much for her and I'm always worried about a delay, especially flying back to the midwest in December. My husband can't really take another day off to stay the extra night in Tampa and I would prefer not to do that, anyway, but we could if we had to.

There is a flight out of MCO at 2. We are thinking about renting a car (we're bringing a carseat for flight/cruise anyway) and driving to Orlando to take the 2 pm flight. I'm thinking timewise we could make it. And we'd be home before the flight even left Tampa.

Does this sound ridiculous and completely unnecessary? If we didn't do this, we'd probably hang out at the Aquarium and then head to the airport early. Do you think we could make the 2 pm flight at Orlando? Any advice or suggestions are welcome. This traveling with a baby is new to us.

We're cruising on the Legend at Christmas with our, then, 9 month old daughter. There's only 2 flights back home from Tampa that are nonstop. I refuse to take a connection for a 2 hour flight, turning it into 6+, especially now that we have the baby. One is 9 AM which we'll never make and the other isn't until 5.

I would hate to wait around until 5 even without the baby, but with the baby just makes this seem even more daunting. Getting up early that morning and then being out until 5 is probably going to be a bit much for her and I'm always worried about a delay, especially flying back to the midwest in December. My husband can't really take another day off to stay the extra night in Tampa and I would prefer not to do that, anyway, but we could if we had to.

There is a flight out of MCO at 2. We are thinking about renting a car (we're bringing a carseat for flight/cruise anyway) and driving to Orlando to take the 2 pm flight. I'm thinking timewise we could make it. And we'd be home before the flight even left Tampa.

Does this sound ridiculous and completely unnecessary? If we didn't do this, we'd probably hang out at the Aquarium and then head to the airport early. Do you think we could make the 2 pm flight at Orlando? Any advice or suggestions are welcome. This traveling with a baby is new to us.

Yes, I think it's ridiculous and you're overthinking it.

You're going to spend, what, about $100 on rental car, gas and tolls then drive 85 miles to save 3 hours? I think that's just plain neurotic.

If the MCO flight is at 2:00 PM then you need to plan to arrive at the airport rental car return no later than 12:30 PM to have time to return the car, check your luggage, get through security (with a baby) and get to your gate. You need to allow about an hour and a half for the drive so you need to leave the rental agency no later than 11:00 AM which means you should get there by at least 10:30 AM. In order to do that you need to be off the ship no later than 9:30 AM to get through customs (with a baby) and get to the rental car agency. Now all of this is predicated that you will have no trouble or delays. And I'm sure the odds are against any accidents on the Interstate that will delay you, right?

I'm no child expert, but I think all the above would be far more stressful on a toddler (and even the adults) than taking your time with breakfast, being the last to get off the ship and have plenty of time to get to the airport and take your time to get through security and relax. You might even find some time to take in a leisurely lunch and stroll through Ybor City.

Yes, I think it's ridiculous and you're overthinking it.

You're going to spend, what, about $100 on rental car, gas and tolls then drive 85 miles to save 3 hours? I think that's just plain neurotic.

If the MCO flight is at 2:00 PM then you need to plan to arrive at the airport rental car return no later than 12:30 PM to have time to return the car, check your luggage, get through security (with a baby) and get to your gate. You need to allow about an hour and a half for the drive so you need to leave the rental agency no later than 11:00 AM which means you should get there by at least 10:30 AM. In order to do that you need to be off the ship no later than 9:30 AM to get through customs (with a baby) and get to the rental car agency. Now all of this is predicated that you will have no trouble or delays. And I'm sure the odds are against any accidents on the Interstate that will delay you, right?

I'm no child expert, but I think all the above would be far more stressful on a toddler (and even the adults) than taking your time with breakfast, being the last to get off the ship and have plenty of time to get to the airport and take your time to get through security and relax. You might even find some time to take in a leisurely lunch and stroll through Ybor City.

Thank you for posting. I needed to hear the reality of this. I was a little worried about the time constraints and having you repeat what I was concerned about makes me really double think it. However, when we flew with her in July, it took no extra time to get through security or anything else than it usually does just the two of us. We are pretty seasoned travelers and have the airport security down pat.

I will definitely take what you said into consideration. Having to ask if it's ridiculous usually means it is. ;)

Thank you for posting. I needed to hear the reality of this. I was a little worried about the time constraints and having you repeat what I was concerned about makes me really double think it. However, when we flew with her in July, it took no extra time to get through security or anything else than it usually does just the two of us. We are pretty seasoned travelers and have the airport security down pat.

I will definitely take what you said into consideration. Having to ask if it's ridiculous usually means it is. ;)

Have you ever flown from MCO? MCO sometimes has the longest lines I have ever seen to clear the TSA security checkpoints.

Have you ever flown from MCO? MCO sometimes has the longest lines I have ever seen to clear the TSA security checkpoints.

Yes, we fly there a lot. That's actually where we went in July. I've only seen it bad once or twice, but I think we generally fly on off days/times. Sunday might not be the best day. Good point.

I would spend whatever you were going to spend on a car and book a day room at a hotel in Tampa instead. You can put the baby down for a nap whenever so it won't be as long of a day.

Good idea! I'll have to search and see if I can find one. Thanks!

Day rooms:

http://www.between9and5.com/

If the above link does not work for your dates I would search hotels near the TPA airport in the Westshore area -- lots of hotels, chain dining options and a mall nearby if you need to take a walk but stay out of the heat and humidity. Taxi from the port to Westshore hotels should be about $20-25.

MCO flights are an option, but only if they are also non-stop & the total cost (including rental car) is cheaper than your Tampa flight plus day room and cab. Good luck! :)

I would opt for an earlier flight that isn't non-stop rather than sit in Tampa until 5pm. Even if it's a longer travel time, it still may get you home earlier. I definitely wouldn't travel to Orlando.

Good luck.

I wouldn't drive to MCO, I think that would really make the day as long as the flights that involved connections would.

Also, I've been through MCO a few times in the last couple of years, and one of those times it took me 2 hours just to get through security! I was getting nervous about making my flight!

If you can wear the baby out at the aquarium early, then by the time you get to the airport in Tampa at 2-3pm it gives you plenty of time to clear security, get a meal and settle the baby.

I am also a fan of the day room idea where you can play at the pool, have lunch, take a nap, then clean up and head to the airport at 3pm or so.

Lastly, if you do happen to get off the ship extra early (like 6am, which happened to me one time) you could call the airline and see if they can get you on the early plane. While they don't tend to have unsold seats, the early one might actually have them. If you had a rental car booked and were planning the aquarium and the airline could get you on the early plane, you'd be in great shape. Not to count on it of course, but it is possible.

I have done the opposite ( fly out of TPA instead of MCO) and both times I have said it is not worth it.

Both times the drive has been bumper to bumper the whole way and really slow. Get a day room and take the later flight.

It's doable. Rental car should be about $50 for the day. There are $2 in tolls on that route, and it will take three gallons of gas in an economy car. Get off the airport exit and head north on Semoran to get gas. Keep going past the ones with the inflated prices. Go a little over a mile up Semoran and there will be a Racetrack or Raceway on the right, normal prices, fill up there.

Working backwards, for a 2:00 pm flight you need to be walking into the airport at noon. Make sure you book a rental car with a drop off location AT MCO. Most are there. It takes under five minutes to drop off the car and clear out your stuff, then maybe five to get into the airport. That gives you plenty of time to check your bags and clear security and get to your gate.

Add in an extra 15 to get the gas. Now you're at 11:45. Plan on it taking 2.5 hours to get from TPA to MCO--the reality is that it should be under two. That's 9:45.

Car pick up in TPA might take as long as 45 minutes or so, now you are at 9:00 am, the time you need to be off the ship anyhow.

Very doable with plenty of time built in. The reality is that you will likely be at the airport in time to enjoy a nice lunch before it's time to board.

I agree! I love the idea of a day room. I am sure you can find one with a pool. Relaxing by a pool sounds so much better than stressing on the way to MCO. I used to travel by myself with three kids under 5 and the pool option would have lovely. Connecting flights aren't that bad either although they do add to the risk of missed connections and lost luggage.

I have to add another vote to NOT go to MCO. The Tampa-to-Orlando stretch of I-4 is definitely a high-traffic route and you never know if you'll run into an accident or bumper-to-bumper traffic - especially since you'll have to pass the Disney area. That's just going to add stress to your day and you don't need that.

I like the idea of a hotel room for the day, but if that's not good for budget reasons then there are lots of pleasant ways to kill time in Tampa. Plenty of malls, the Aquarium, take a ride across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, etc. It seems easier to me to do something like that, where you can stop and take care of the baby (feeding, changing, playing) whenever s/he needs it - and that's harder to do when traveling on I-4.

I saw somebody suggested getting on an earlier flight, but I would expect the airline would charge you hefty change fees even if they do have available seats. Gone are the days when you could just walk up to the gate and see if there's a seat available on an earlier flight and hop on for free!

• 2 weeks later...

I've never flown from MCO, so can't add a comment there.

I did get bumped from a flight at TPA, then was put up overnight at the Airport Marriott. Excellent hotel. Don't know about a pool, but nice hotel, easy access to airport shops, food and bars. Airport is big enough to be interesting for 5-6 hours. Might be worth looking at it.

Consider the time of year, and events as well. If you leave Tampa to drive and get caught up in traffic after a football or baseball game, or arrive at an airport in the middle of a holiday rush, all bets are off. The same goes for a late ship arrival due to winter fog in the bay.

Bottom line, stay in Tampa and take the later flight. Don't risk the added stress.

I would not worry a bit about the day being too long for the baby, for you and dad maybe, but not the baby. 9 months is a great time to travel with a baby, because they will still sleep well in their infant seat. I am making the assumption that you will have the type of stroller where the infant car seat attaches right to it.

Archived