NCL Breakaway (Getaway)

DISNEY1975

I just quickly read a brief review about the Breakaway. Im considering a trip on the Getaway next year, but saw that the Breakaway (sister ship) does not have freestyle dining. Is this correct, or did I misunderstand?

Thanks

I just quickly read a brief review about the Breakaway. Im considering a trip on the Getaway next year, but saw that the Breakaway (sister ship) does not have freestyle dining. Is this correct, or did I misunderstand?

Thanks

You misunderstood. Freestyle dining is available on all NCL ships and will be available on the Getaway also. It is an inherent part of the NCL brand.

Thanks

They might have been referring to the specialty restaurants, where you need a reservation. But we have walked into teppanyaki on both of our cruises without a reservation and got seated right away..

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Thanks

I have to assume that you saw what you claimed. It might help to understand the confusion to provide a like to what you saw so that it can be evaluated in context. Where is this review posted?

I have to assume that you saw what you claimed. It might help to understand the confusion to provide a like to what you saw so that it can be evaluated in context. Where is this review posted?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1888935

This is what I read, 1st post. It was a bit confusing, that is why I asked. I could have easily misunderstood what they were saying, so if you can clarify, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1888935

This is what I read, 1st post. It was a bit confusing, that is why I asked. I could have easily misunderstood what they were saying, so if you can clarify, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Alright then, THAT explains a lot! :rolleyes:

First...not to worry, Freestyle Dining is alive and well on EVERY ship in the fleet. :D

Second, give that review you read a wide berth. People who join CC and spend their first post on a totally negative rant aren't very concerned with the facts so much as they are about skewing the story 150% in their favor so they can share their "disappointment" with others. You know what they say about misery loving company!

I find the reviews in CC's member review section to be a better representation of the cruise experience. I strongly suggest that you read many more than just one. Individuals may make mistakes, both positive and negative, but by reading through enough reviews the truth should be apparent.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=642

They might have been referring to the specialty restaurants, where you need a reservation. But we have walked into teppanyaki on both of our cruises without a reservation and got seated right away..

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

A couple years ago, I was on the Gem with friends. The day we were in

Port Canaveral, I went to Disney. My friends stayed near the ship. They

Tried to get into the Tex Mex restaurant. They were refused seating

Because they did not have a reservation. And no one was in the room

Eating and all the staff was just standing around.

Thanks

I too am getting this impression of the Breakaway and it somewhat concerns me as we will be on the sister ship Getaway in 2014 and do not like to plan much in advance. We might book 1 dinner ahead of time, and the rest of the cruise just wing it for dinner.

Although I have sailed NCL 4 times and know that "officially" there is Freestyle dining on ALL NCL ship's, I have seen several reviewers and posters comment on the fact that, according to them, unless dinner reservations are booked well ahead, probably before sailing, there are either no reservations available at all, or only for very late dining times when trying to book during the cruise or maybe the day of.

It is difficult to tell what the actual experience would be if you just walked up to Cagney's or Le Bistro at 6:00 or 8:00 and asked for a table. Would it have been available even though technically reservations were "full"? I don't believe

I have seen anyone comment about doing this successfully.

I can understand the need for show reservations, but if you are reasonably flexible, and you still can't dine at a specialty without reservations well in advance, that really takes away from the freestyle aspect we love about NCL.

How about it Breakaway cruisers, anyone eat regularly at the specialties without reservations?

I too am getting this impression of the Breakaway and it somewhat concerns me as we will be on the sister ship Getaway in 2014 and do not like to plan much in advance. We might book 1 dinner ahead of time, and the rest of the cruise just wing it for dinner.

Although I have sailed NCL 4 times and know that "officially" there is Freestyle dining on ALL NCL ship's, I have seen several reviewers and posters comment on the fact that, according to them, unless dinner reservations are booked well ahead, probably before sailing, there are either no reservations available at all, or only for very late dining times when trying to book during the cruise or maybe the day of.

It is difficult to tell what the actual experience would be if you just walked up to Cagney's or Le Bistro at 6:00 or 8:00 and asked for a table. Would it have been available even though technically reservations were "full"? I don't believe

I can understand the need for show reservations, but if you are reasonably flexible, and you still can't dine at a specialty without reservations well in advance, that really takes away from the freestyle aspect we love about NCL.

How about it Breakaway cruisers, anyone eat regularly at the specialties without reservations?

We were on the Breakaway a couple of weeks ago and were able to walk up without reservations and and eat at both La Cucina and Cagneys at around 7pm. La Cucina saw us right away and Cagneys was probably 10-15 minutes of a wait. I can't say that it would happen at every restaurant for everyone, but it worked for us.

I haven't read many Breakaway reviews recently, but I see a lot of comments on these boards and on reviews from people who seem to have assumed that, as you can prebook, you have to.

For example, people book their specialities well in advance, sometimes panicking 45 days out about getting it reserved before they fill up. They then write comments or reviews saying that it wasn't very "freestyle", all the while totally oblivious to the fact that many of he people eating in the restaurant either walked up or reserved earlier in the day.

For the record, other than one time, I have always booked the specialities around lunchtime of the day I am eating. At that time, I have never seen more than about a quarter of the slots booked in any restaurant. That includes the Breakaway, although it was that Transatlantic when the ship was less full.

We were on the Breakaway a couple of weeks ago and were able to walk up without reservations and and eat at both La Cucina and Cagneys at around 7pm. La Cucina saw us right away and Cagneys was probably 10-15 minutes of a wait. I can't say that it would happen at every restaurant for everyone, but it worked for us.

This is good to hear! Freestyle still lives on the BA!:D

Yes...absolutely positively...yes. While onboard Breakaway, I ate twice in the MDR...every other meal was in a speacialty. No advance reservations made, no advance reservations needed.

Now...let me also point out that I am VERY flexible when it comes to dining. I tend to look at what is available and make my choice from that. The people who end up disappointed seem to be those who decide on a time and place and THEN go to get the reservation....ending up disappointed when they find out a lot of other people wanted the same choice and they either have to wait in line or make an alternative choice.

On Breakaway, Moderno seats 124, Le Bistro seats 114, and La Cucina seats 168. With 4000+ people onboard is should seem obvious that everyone can't pick prime time to eat....every restarant only has so many seats! And FWIW...even if there were only 2000 people onboard, everybody can't go to Moderno at the same time! This is why FLEXIBILITY is so very important.

If there is something that you absolutely positively MUST have...make an advance reservation. Otherwise, be flexible and roll with the changes...you'll have a less-stressful, more-enjoyable vacation.

Yes, you can eat at specialty dining without reservations. I ate at Cagney's the first night without a reservation and the place was mostly empty.

I think the only place you're really going to need a reservation for is Teppanyaki and maybe Ocean Blue. Each venue has very limited seating. I made a reservation for Modnero while on the ship but probably could have just walked in without a reservation because it wasn't overly busy.

Please note that I eat dinner early so these were all around 5:30 or 6:00. I think my Moderno reservation was at 6:30. I think you'll have a problem around 7:00pm or so.

I was more concerned about the main dining room. I didn't realize the review I read was about the specialty restaurants. I will be sailing with only my child. First time without hubby and other kids (boys) as they are going to Brazil for the World Cup, which I am not interested in in the least! I chose the Getaway for the amazing waterpark, family rooms right next to the kids club (on the Dawn, there were no rooms next to the kids club and I booked the wrong end of the ship. I was all the way forward, kids club all the way aft. Long walks back and forth to pick up for dinner, drop off for show etc.. Luckily hubby was with me and we took turns going to the club. This time Ill be solo and its a big plus to get a room next to the club!!) and seemingly safe itinerary! I wont be nervous around those ports as Im familiar with each.

Hopefully we wont be "corralled" into the buffet! But I can say, Ive never ever gone hungry on a cruise! It will be what it will be, and there is always room service!

Ive never needed a reservation for a show..that is new to me, but I have plenty of time to make a plan.

Thanks for all the feedback!

We have sailed NCL 4 times; the first two on the Jewel (2010 and 2011). We have done both, we have called down the evening we decided to eat in a specialty restaurant AND we have just walked up and asked if we could make a reservation and usually we were seated immediately (after they asked when we would like our reservation).

Maybe it is just in the presentation? We happen to like to eat early, but I am sure, we have also dined around 8 pm. On the Star last year we hooked up with friends we met on our roll call and never ended up trying out a specialty restaurant.

On the Gem this year, I was in the process of reserving the special prior to sailing (book 3 dinners for $57 and not only were we a bit unsure of when and where we wanted to eat, after much thought and planning, we decided not to pre-book after all, we would only be saving $8 each and getting a bottle of wine). We didn't regret our decision.

We are sailing on the Breakaway next year for 14 days (B2B); maybe we will consider the special again after final payment. Personally, as nice as the specialty restaurants are, we think the dining room is good enough. Usually we make our decision after we see the dinner menu posted for the next day. Doubt it though, because we are sailing with friends that think like us, spend the $57 on drinks :D

:D :confused: :)

So, to answer your question, yes, we have walked up and have been seated, at LeBistro, Tex Mex and the Italian restaurant. We do, however, always politely ask, to make a reservation and when they ask for when, we ask them what they have available, some way, some how, we usually manage to get seated. We are, however, prepared to politely walk away, if they cannot accommodate us, without causing a scene.

:)

Archived