First-timer questions

Marylebone37

Hello everyone,

I just booked the May 31 2014 Hamburg-Stockholm sailing, and have a few questions if you do not mind. I will be new to SD, having sailed predominently with SB most recently. Should I be concerned about the drydock that will immediately precede this voyage? Any risk of SD not completing the renovations in time? I have also heard that large groups (that you're not a part of) can change the dynamic of a cruise on SD quite dramatically. Is that any cause for concern?

Hello everyone,

I just booked the May 31 2014 Hamburg-Stockholm sailing, and have a few questions if you do not mind. I will be new to SD, having sailed predominently with SB most recently. Should I be concerned about the drydock that will immediately precede this voyage? Any risk of SD not completing the renovations in time? I have also heard that large groups (that you're not a part of) can change the dynamic of a cruise on SD quite dramatically. Is that any cause for concern?

In the past, I think drydock periods have not impacted the following cruises other than everything is bright and shiny. I have not personally sailed the immediate post drydock cruise though. I have personally sailed with large groups and yes, they can cause some disruption on board. As can kids on board. In all honesty, it is better without such fellow passengers.:eek::D

Hello Stines, we were on SD's Hamburg-Bergen Norway cruise which came right on the heels of a dry dock sprucing up and all went very well! No delays or hiccups whatsoever.

As with any cruise there can be the occasional large group on board, yes, but I know for a fact that you won't be the only lone couple on that particular cruise. :)

Hope you enjoy your cruise...you will be spoiled by the SD crew while on board and treated to some very beautiful scenery!

Can't say we have had experience with a post-dry dock cruise so defer to the others. That said, I would imagine SD plans these things very carefully to avoid any disruption to the schedule which would be costly in multiple ways.

As to large groups, you can always ask the SD office closer to making your final payment. We postponed what would have been our second trip back in 2009 when SD called to advise half the ship was being taken by a birthday party group. We skipped it. However, on other voyages with groups of various sizes we have not had a problem. There are so many places on the ship to spend time not to mention considerable time off the ship on your own. We have actually made friends and had fun with parts of larger groups. I agree the problem really occurs with too many children which can happen from time to time. Your voyage doesn't sound like one likely to have too many kids. Given the nature of SD's clientele given the expensive fares we have had enjoyable fellow passengers almost all of the time. On the rare occasions that someone was a problem, we ignored them and didn't let it spoil our special time on SD.

We are about to take our ninth voyage in a few weeks so we are hooked for sure. Welcome to the club. We hope and expect you will enjoy your voyage as much as we and others here do. The service on SD and the overall experience are truly special.

Should I be concerned about the drydock that will immediately precede this voyage? Any risk of SD not completing the renovations in time?

Now I learned, drydock for SD I is in May 2014 - what about SD II ?

Ralf

I have made several crossings after dry docks. No issues whatsoever. These started immediately after completion of the dry dock and there were no delays. One time I got to Lisbon a couple of days early and while sight seeing saw SD II out of the water (at least I think it was Lisbon! If someone else on that voyage remembers it differently, please correct me)

FT

Edited by frequent traveler

• 3 weeks later...

Is it true that guests must wait to book shore excursions (through SD) onboard in the Baltics? I know some travelers on other lines recommend using a private tour company, especially in places like St. Petersburg. Is that a good path to take on SD as well?

Sea Dream rarely allows you to book shore excursions ahead of time. I sailed on one of the Baltic cruises the first year SD went there. It was a fabulous cruise. SD docked in the city of St Petersburg, not at the cruise ship terminal 45 minutes outside the city. We could see the gold dome of the cathedral from the yacht. We were 2 blocks from the Hermitage. On that cruise, we had an excursion to the Hermitage on the day the museum was closed to the public. So we were the only people there! Fabulous! We also went to Peterhof before it opened to the public and had a private tour. At Catherine's Palace we went with the masses and it was not so good. But unless your private guide can get you in at off hours, you still have to deal with the masses. Ask SD what their plans are for the tours . We thought they did a great job in the Baltic! Will answer any other questions if I can.

• 1 year later...

Only 15 days left before our SD II cruise departs from Piraeus. Still no travel documents of Seadream.

Do they always submit that late? :o

I know, it's a long way from US to Germany, but I become a bit nervous, because we start our holiday one week earlier on Mykonos island ... :)

Only 15 days left before our SD II cruise departs from Piraeus. Still no travel documents of Seadream.

Do they always submit that late? :o

I know, it's a long way from US to Germany, but I become a bit nervous, because we start our holiday one week earlier on Mykonos island ... :)

We are on the week after you and received ours (we are in the US) by email on August 22.

I have made several crossings after dry docks. No issues whatsoever. These started immediately after completion of the dry dock and there were no delays. One time I got to Lisbon a couple of days early and while sight seeing saw SD II out of the water (at least I think it was Lisbon! If someone else on that voyage remembers it differently, please correct me)

FT

We were on the post dry dock crossing with FT from Lisbon. We missed seeing SD2 out of the water but the dry dock had no impact on cruise.