West Coast Carnival Cruises: San Diego

trekie69

An open "letter" to Carnival Cruise Lines:

Dear Sirs:

You've been gone from San Diego for a few years now, have you had a chance to figure out what your future plans are?

My spouse and I have always enjoyed cruising with CCL, but we frankly don't care to have to budget more funds for non-essential items like paid parking and pre and/or post cruise hotel stayovers. This costs more and consumes more vacation time that can be better spent elsewhere like visiting parents and loved ones.

And for out-of-towners, can San Diego really be all that bad?

Our airport is under 3 miles from the cruise ship terminal;

Downtown San Diego is literally right off the dock;

The San Diego Trolley is a block away with transfers to the San Diego Zoo,

Sea World, Sea World Water Park, and Legoland;

The Gas Lamp District is short trolley ride away as is the Convention Center.

OK, so no, I don't work for the chamber of commerce and no, I'm not a "chearleader" for San Diego, and yes, we certainly have out share of problems, but really, why not come back to San Diego?

Thanks for wonderful memories of the Carnival Spirit and Carnival Elation.

Sincerely, trekie69.

And now - what opinions does the rest of CCL's cruisers have to say? Or am I way out line here or unduly ra-ra-ing?

Thanks for reading!

Guest fyree39

Carnival still cruises out of LA to the Mexican Riviera and Hawaii (and sometimes a repositioning cruise). I don't see why they'd put ships back in San Diego when they have 3 ships a few hours north of you.

I dont think San Diego was the issue. Mexico is the issue, since it is basically the only place a cruise out of SD would go. (except maybe the occassional Hawaii) Since all the cruise lines are afraid to go to ports in Mexico other than PV & Cabo due to the violence and travel warnings in places like Acapulco, there just isnt anywhere for a ship from SD to sail. Just not enough demand for trips to PV & Cabo to justify having a ship in LA and a ship in SD doing the exact same cruises. Once conditions improve in Mexico, and when Carnival develops new ports of call in Mexico, as they seem to be planning to do, I think SD is likely to get another ship at some point in the future. (Most likely not for several years, but eventually)

I would be very happy if Carnival came back to San Diego. The 4 day cruises out of Los Angeles then could include San Diego as a port stop. My first cruise was a 4 day on RCCL out of LA that went to Catalina, San Diego and Ensenada. We had a fun time in San Diego. San Diego has a lot to offer for excursions or sightseeing on your own.

I too would like to see Carnival return to San Diego...

We sailed out of SD. to Mexico and had a wonderful time on the Spirit!!!:D

There are many ports in Mexico that they could travel to, but I feel that might have something to do with the port of San Diego.

Would book a cruise in a heartbeat out of SD., so come on back Carnival!!!

A new pier is coming to San Francisco and I can't hardly wait to see either Carnival or Princess there. We're going to Hawaii in November out of San Francisco on Princess. We don't have far to drive, so we would like to have a breather from S. CA. We do enjoy taking road trips to San Diego and to Long Beach - not so much to San Francisco though - but a cruise YES!.:eek:

A Pacific Coastal could be done out of SD, going to Ensenada then to SF.

I would love for Carnival to do a Pacific Coastal cruise (similar to what Princess offers). I'd try to be one of the first ones to book.

Ultimately for me would be:

LA (San Pedro)

San Diego

San Francisco

Catalina or Ensenada

preferably 2 sea days

At least IMHO

I dont think San Diego was the issue. Mexico is the issue, since it is basically the only place a cruise out of SD would go. (except maybe the occassional Hawaii) Since all the cruise lines are afraid to go to ports in Mexico other than PV & Cabo due to the violence and travel warnings in places like Acapulco, there just isnt anywhere for a ship from SD to sail. Just not enough demand for trips to PV & Cabo to justify having a ship in LA and a ship in SD doing the exact same cruises. Once conditions improve in Mexico, and when Carnival develops new ports of call in Mexico, as they seem to be planning to do, I think SD is likely to get another ship at some point in the future. (Most likely not for several years, but eventually)

It's not fear of Mexico that drove the cruise lines away, it was not profitable to them, or at least that is their line. And then the arguments come in on why it wasn't profitable, fears of Mexico, limited ports etc.

What I am not understanding is why they are bringing another Fantasy class ship to Long Beach to do Catalina/Ensenada. Why not put one ship back in San Diego and resume the short cruise Cabo sailings that everyone enjoyed. I jumped on several times when the Elation was here for a four day weekend jaunt to Cabo. Of course, now that I live part time in Cabo I probably would only do it to re-stock items I can't get there, mostly doggie treats.:p But I was know to book because I liked the piano guy or I wanted to watch playoff football with a bunch of other people. See Carnival, this is what you're missing, someone like me. Sorry, but I won't drive to Long Beach for a short cruise that goes to Ensenada.

i feel as us westcoasters are trapped sometimes... especially here in the northwest.. it does take quite a bit of money to get to either to gulf coast or east coast to hit the caribbean cause we need a break from the doom and gloom during the winter.. lol. i too wish we had more options but we make the best of it as we can. :-)

for example i think this next year we are going to for-go the eastern caribbean like we originally planned but go on a 4 dayer out of LA... we are going to do touristy stuff 3 days leading up to the cruise as well.. and we are going to be able to splurge on a suite... all for what we were going to spend just on the cruise itself on the liberty.. not my first choice because i want beaches and water i can see my feet touch the bottom. ;)

It's not fear of Mexico that drove the cruise lines away, it was not profitable to them, or at least that is their line. And then the arguments come in on why it wasn't profitable, fears of Mexico, limited ports etc.

What I am not understanding is why they are bringing another Fantasy class ship to Long Beach to do Catalina/Ensenada. Why not put one ship back in San Diego and resume the short cruise Cabo sailings that everyone enjoyed. I jumped on several times when the Elation was here for a four day weekend jaunt to Cabo. Of course, now that I live part time in Cabo I probably would only do it to re-stock items I can't get there, mostly doggie treats.:p But I was know to book because I liked the piano guy or I wanted to watch playoff football with a bunch of other people. See Carnival, this is what you're missing, someone like me. Sorry, but I won't drive to Long Beach for a short cruise that goes to Ensenada.

Have you seen the prices of those short cruises out of Long Beach? Clearly they are very popular, and very profitable! Which is why the second ship is coming!

I would love for Carnival to do a Pacific Coastal cruise (similar to what Princess offers). I'd try to be one of the first ones to book.

Ultimately for me would be:

LA (San Pedro)

San Diego

San Francisco

Catalina or Ensenada

preferably 2 sea days

At least IMHO

Carnival will def not be doing a costal anytime soon with the new fuel restrictions. No way they would want to do an entire cruise when they have to burn the cleaner, more expensive fuel.

Have you seen the prices of those short cruises out of Long Beach? Clearly they are very popular, and very profitable! Which is why the second ship is coming!

Yes I have and I don't think they are that great. Are you saying they are cheap? They seem expensive to me for what you get, and again, bottom line, I will not drive from San Diego to Long Beach for a cruise that goes to Ensenada. I've gone from cruising 10+ times a year from the West Coast to one cruise this year and the only reason I went on that is because I had a friend get married on the Inspiration. I am one of CCL's Diamond Cruisers and they have lost business from me and several of my friends due to the lack of itinerary and the product offered.

1. Attention Carnival: My next cruise is on another line because I can fly to Seattle for the same cost as driving and parking in Long Beach.

2. The Port of San Diego spent millions on a new cruise port... I will look to those lines that sail out of San Diego for future cruises.

3. There is NOTHING to do except tour the parking garage and board at the terminal in Long Beach... expensive and unattractive. A good port as far as it goes, but there is more to our vacations than just driving to the ship. San Diego offers so much more!

4. Mexico is the most visited foreign tourism destination for US citizens. They are driving and flying there in droves... it is safe and attractive. Grow up.

5. It is easier and cheaper for the majority of southern CA residents, i.e., Orange County, Inland Empire, San Diego, etc to get to San Diego then to brave the traffic mess in LA.

Give us San Diego back!

I dont think San Diego was the issue. Mexico is the issue, since it is basically the only place a cruise out of SD would go. (except maybe the occassional Hawaii) Since all the cruise lines are afraid to go to ports in Mexico other than PV & Cabo due to the violence and travel warnings in places like Acapulco, there just isnt anywhere for a ship from SD to sail.

The last Spirit cruise I took out of San Diego went to Cabo, Manzanillo, PV, and Ensenada. There are no travel warnings about any of these cities.

Also, HAL is showing a few 7 day cruises on the Veendam going to PV, Cabo and Mazatlan and leaving out of San Diego.

It would be nice if Carnival did a Sea of Cortez cruise similar to HAL or Princess.

1. Attention Carnival: My next cruise is on another line because I can fly to Seattle for the same cost as driving and parking in Long Beach.

2. The Port of San Diego spent millions on a new cruise port... I will look to those lines that sail out of San Diego for future cruises.

3. There is NOTHING to do except tour the parking garage and board at the terminal in Long Beach... expensive and unattractive. A good port as far as it goes, but there is more to our vacations than just driving to the ship. San Diego offers so much more!

4. Mexico is the most visited foreign tourism destination for US citizens. They are driving and flying there in droves... it is safe and attractive. Grow up.

5. It is easier and cheaper for the majority of southern CA residents, i.e., Orange County, Inland Empire, San Diego, etc to get to San Diego then to brave the traffic mess in LA.

Give us San Diego back!

Totally agree with this post. Too many people buy into the violence in Mexico without doing a bit of research. Most of the crime is around the border cities and not places like Cabo. I do understand Carnival's hesitation to cruise down there if the passengers don't book.

I also don't understand the lines' love for Long Beach and San Pedro except possibly the love for the mouse. I suspect there is more crime in Long Beach than the Mexican ports the ships visit. I've cruised out of Long Beach and my hometown. I'd much rather view Point Loma than oil platforms.

As someone mentioned before, I would love to see a return of the short cruises down to Cabo. They could bring either Imagination or Inspiration to do that, rather than having the itineraries overlap. I also like the idea of ports in the Sea of Cortez like Holland does. Another way to diversify the itineraries would be to have longer cruises (8-11 days) that travel farther south to visit other ports.

If Carnival and other lines are so concerned about having to use the more expensive fuel while in US waters, wouldn't San Diego be an obvious solution to their concern? San Diego is only miles from the border, where it would no longer be required to use the expensive fuel. A compared to leaving from Long Beach, the ship has to travel much farther through US waters where the special fuel has to be used.

Maybe cruises out of San Diego to Panama, Costa Rica or Guatemala and maybe Mexican port on way back would be something to consider

You can do a cruise on Carnival to these ports... Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta at a minimum. But they are forcing us to drive through Los Angeles to Long Beach to do so.

Further, HAL and Princess, under the Carnival corporate umbrella, also sail even to more ports in Mexico. Right now they port two Carnival ships in Long Beach...

Hey Carnival... port one ship in San Diego!

Why not port one ship in San Diego? HAL is higher priced than Carnival, but I am looking more and more at the HAL cruises out of San Diego because of the better selection of hotels, cheaper parking, and better transportation connections.

Guest fyree39
You can do a cruise on Carnival to these ports... Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta at a minimum. But they are forcing us to drive through Los Angeles to Long Beach to do so.

Further, HAL and Princess, under the Carnival corporate umbrella, also sail even to more ports in Mexico. Right now they port two Carnival ships in Long Beach...

Hey Carnival... port one ship in San Diego!

Why not port one ship in San Diego? HAL is higher priced than Carnival, but I am looking more and more at the HAL cruises out of San Diego because of the better selection of hotels, cheaper parking, and better transportation connections.

I have to drive just as far as you, if not farther, and through LA. I don't whine about it. If you haven't noticed, cruise companies are bailing on the SW coastal areas. Be happy with what you have.

I have to drive just as far as you, if not farther, and through LA. I don't whine about it. If you haven't noticed, cruise companies are bailing on the SW coastal areas. Be happy with what you have.

If you hadn't noticed, the topic of conversation was the encouragement of Carnival to start sailing out of San Diego again. Stating an opinion in favor of that is not whining... it is the topic.

If you prefer sailing out of Los Angeles then disagree and give your reasons why without attacking the freely given opinions of others about why they don't prefer to sail out of Los Angeles.

Contrary to your opinion, most other cruise lines do sail out of San Diego... Carnival is the exception. (And yes, I intend on availing myself of them, and have already done so.)

I could give a rip where you drive from AH... that's not the point. I was stating an opinion, and you apparently don't have one except to compare your drive to mine... which is irrelevant to anyone's opinion, particularly mine.

Archived