Bringing baby food on board

ds99jove

Hello

I will be sailing with Rccl out of southampton in a couple of months and i am wondering if it will be a problem bringing any of the following items on board?

Baby food

Baby formula

Dish detergent

Diapers

I know they have some of these items for sale if you preorder, thats why I am wondering if they are allowed to be brought on board.

(if anyone happen to know if they have a store near southampton central that sells baby food, feel free to answer that as well :))

Hello

I will be sailing with Rccl out of southampton in a couple of months and i am wondering if it will be a problem bringing any of the following items on board?

Baby food

Baby formula

Dish detergent

Diapers

I know they have some of these items for sale if you preorder, thats why I am wondering if they are allowed to be brought on board.

(if anyone happen to know if they have a store near southampton central that sells baby food, feel free to answer that as well :))

No problem with bringing any of that on board the ship. Not sure about a store nearby the port but you probably want to bring what you need since some babies are picky about food and prefer their normal brand. Some people have also been able to get the ship to puree steamed vegetables for them or else they just mash up food with a fork or bring a small food mill.

Of course you can bring all of the items mentioned....definitely bring diapers!!! And, plenty of them!

Since babies have to be over a certain age, it's likely they will be eating some table food, and there is plenty of mashable, kid-friendly foods onboard.

Since babies have to be over a certain age, it's likely they will be eating some table food, and there is plenty of mashable, kid-friendly foods onboard.

I have always found it easier to make my own baby food while travelling instead of bringing it with me. Since you don't mention how old your baby will be, it's harder to give suggestions, but as an example, DS2 was 8 months on our first big trip away from home and I didn't bring any food with me (he was breast fed). He ate small pieces of meat I cut up off my plate, along with small pieces of cooked vegetables. I would ask the kitchen for canned fruit, which I would mash or cut into small pieces. Plus I could always find Cheerios for a snack! We were away from home for a week and did just fine :)

I'd suggest you try making do with what is on your plate for a few days at home, to see how it works for you.

Thanks for the replies :) My son will in fact be 8 months almost to the day and Im not sure what he will be eating in 2 months time. He has 2 small teeth sofar and currently his main source of food is baby formula (not sure of the correct term in english? Its like a powder you mix with water and it becomes almost like drinkable porrige). If wecan bring that along with bottles and dishing detergent we're safe :) then we can always try mashing as much as possible of the normal food.

You also might want to check with the cruise line. I know that Princess supplies jarred baby food at no cost. I doubt the formula though. You simply tell them how many jars of fruit, veggys etc you want. Bring lots of diapers and pack them by spreading them around in all the nooks and crannies of your suitcases. You don't want to pack all the baby stuff in one container in case that box or suitcase doesn't make it to your cabin.

I have checked with rccl and I know they sell baby food that has to be pre ordered before the trip, apart from that they have no baby food. I had planned to preorder that baby food package but my credit card isnt accepted on their web site. I suspect this to be because of my lastname containing a special character that their web site wont let me enter when giving my credit card info. So I thought that Id rather bring it myself and save some money rather than trying to solve the credit card problem :)

I have checked with rccl and I know they sell baby food that has to be pre ordered before the trip, apart from that they have no baby food. I had planned to preorder that baby food package but my credit card isnt accepted on their web site. I suspect this to be because of my lastname containing a special character that their web site wont let me enter when giving my credit card info. So I thought that Id rather bring it myself and save some money rather than trying to solve the credit card problem :)

I have the same problem with the special character. Try your name different ways. Leave out the "special" and type it as if it didn't exist, or leave a space. In may case I have a hyphen so sometimes my name is one word and sometimes it is two. Look at your actual booking and that may give you a clue.

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo glad to see that I'm not the only one who is crazy enough to cruise with an infant :p We'll be bringing our little guy with us on the Brilliance of the Seas in January (currently 5 months and will be exactly 10 months when we sail). I've been trying to wrap my head around what we need to do to make sure he's a happy camper on the boat. I think we're just going pack diapers and formula and plan on mashing and cutting up whatever veggies, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, etc we come across.

Archived