Marco Polo to Westin Regina

jcann4444

Got a great rate at the Westin on Priceline to stay before out cruise. Having the hardest time finding the best way to get there. Don't want to drop 100 euro on a water taxi. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You could take the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma (6 euros per person) and store your large suitcases in the Left Luggage office. Then take your carryons and go to the hotel on the vaporetto.

Your hotel suggests a water taxi or this method:

Public Water Transport by Alilaguna

Fee: 15 EUR per person; Round trip 25 EUR per person

Hours: Hours of operation

Travel Time: 90 minutes

About:

A public boat service run by Alilaguna is available to transport guests from the airport pier to the San Marco-Giardinetti stop near the Piazza San Marco. Tickets may be purchased in cash from the Alilaguna desk in the airport, or online at http://www.alilaguna.it/index.en.html. From San Marco the hotel is a short, four-minute walk away.

While it is true they have the information on the website, I have stayed at this hotel and, while I love the location, it is not so easy to find the first time as they make it sound there.

You have to go up one of the 'alleys' and then cross the bridge, 'Pointe S. Moise' and then go one block up and turn into an alley just past the first building and go around it into a courtyard where you find the land entrance to the hotel. You really have no better option though unless arriving by water taxi directly.

What is fun is as this hotel is made up of many building hooked together your journey is not done. You will be guided to your room the first time and it can get quite interesting. Depending of location you go around take one elevator up and then go around again to another elevator and then move in a spiral toward your room.

The best part is that as the breakfast room is right on the canal, you can usually make your way to the canal entrance of the hotel quite easily, but that does not help you unless you arrive or depart by water taxi.

Make sure you have your printed confirmation showing number of guests as I observed some guests being told that they had booked only a single.

I had booked using Priceline as well and got a great room and really enjoyed my stay. I did have realistic expectations of the hotel though.

I stayed there 2 years ago, nice Hotel. Take Alilaguna to San Marco Gardenetti then a little walk, mostly flat just one small bridge at San Moise. Once you go over that small bridge go to your left towards the Grand Canal and it's not far. Try to print out the directions/map so you can show someone if you get lost.

I stayed there 2 years ago, nice Hotel. Take Alilaguna to San Marco Gardenetti then a little walk, mostly flat just one small bridge at San Moise. Once you go over that small bridge go to your left towards the Grand Canal and it's not far. Try to print out the directions/map so you can show someone if you get lost.

The walking distance if you take the alilaguna or a vaporetto to San Marco Giardenetti is about 300 yards. There is 1 small bridge at Campo San Moisé.

Immediately after the bridge , turn left and go through the archway in the Hotel Violino D'Oro. The sign above the archway is faded but reads 'Calle or Corte Barozzi' Keep going and you can't go wrong. Photo of archway attached.

You can see why a water taxi may be easier. You can find someone to share a taxi at the water taxi desk at the airport. You will save an hour.

891110321_ScreenShot2013-08-05at3_18_34PM.jpg.dfebc6b15253a142e5930e325bfda545.jpg

Thanks. I like the idea of sharing a water taxi. I think I'll try that. Is it usually successful. Does it only work if all are going to the same hotel or nearby ones as well. Glad to hear the good reports of the hotel especially with the Priceline pricing.

Thanks. I like the idea of sharing a water taxi. I think I'll try that. Is it usually successful. Does it only work if all are going to the same hotel or nearby ones as well. Glad to hear the good reports of the hotel especially with the Priceline pricing.

When we did it we were 3 couples all going to different hotels. We may have paid an extra 10 euros for the privilege. P.s. A water taxi is also your easiest choice to the port. Anything more than 80 E is too much. However, by then you will know the route to the vaporetto stop. The alilaguna blue line runs from San Marco to the port every 30 minutes.

We just stood by the water taxi desk and ask everyone who came up if they were interested in sharing--just took a few minutes to find another couple who were there pre-cruise (we were not). We did pay a small surcharge for different hotels but well worth it

If you can find some others to share a water taxi they can take you right to the Europa Regina water entrance on the Grand Canal which is one classy way to arrive in Venice! I took a water taxi on my last trip to Venice and it was wonderful, I was traveling on my own and didn't want to carry bags over the crowded Rialto Bridge. I have also taken the Alilaguna when I stayed near San Marco Square. If you book the water taxi in advance you can save 10 euro.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic App

Seems like it is not that hard to find someone to share a water taxi with. My research has led me to sharevenice.com where you can book a shared taxi in advance at a discount. Seems like an easier and assured way of doing it. Agree, thoughts, disagree, thanks in advance.

Archived