Why no life guards??

hladygirl

Thanks Arizona and April. A thread like this brings out emotions so from time to time its bound to get a little heated. I think that in the very least Cruiseline reps popping in from time to time on this thread will at least get the message that something needs to be done to help ensure that kids are safe at the pools or at the very least not affecting others negatively. That much I think we can all agree on. Let's hope they are listening and come up with great ideas to keep kids safe and everyone content and able to enjoy their well deserved vacation.

Parents and guardians being villigent is what most everyone on here wants. Is that likely? No I do not think so. That's the sad truth. Some kids needs more help keeping them safe than their parents are willing to offer. Sadly this does effect others in many ways but that's just the way it is and I don't think that this will ever change.

You counted my posts. So strange to me.

You don't have to count posts to find out how many times someone has posted on a thread. Just click on the number in the "replies" column on the main NCL (or any subject) page and a window will open showing who has posted on that thread, and how many times.

The phrase "it takes a village to raise a child," isn't political. It's a philosophy viewed around the world in the way Karysa is portraying it, that we all look out for each other.

When I was a child, a parent of another child could talk to a child, saying something like, "That's dangerous, sweetie, climb back down here," and that's the village philosophy. These days, if a child is doing something dangerous fewer people would step in to correct the child and more parents would be offended by someone doing that. The village view is over.

I wish more people would interact in a healthy way with the children of strangers, rather than coming away with anonymous horror stories of how dreadfully behaved "most" children on cruise ships are.

If posts on web sites were polite correction in practice, children would be safer and forums would be more productive.

You don't have to count posts to find out how many times someone has posted on a thread. Just click on the number in the "replies" column on the main NCL (or any subject) page and a window will open showing who has posted on that thread, and how many times.

I never knew that. Thanks for teaching me something new today :)

The phrase "it takes a village to raise a child," isn't political. It's a philosophy viewed around the world in the way Karysa is portraying it, that we all look out for each other.

When I was a child, a parent of another child could talk to a child, saying something like, "That's dangerous, sweetie, climb back down here," and that's the village philosophy. These days, if a child is doing something dangerous fewer people would step in to correct the child and more parents would be offended by someone doing that. The village view is over.

I wish more people would interact in a healthy way with the children of strangers, rather than coming away with anonymous horror stories of how dreadfully behaved "most" children on cruise ships are.

If posts on web sites were polite correction in practice, children would be safer and forums would be more productive.

This is exactly how I was taught. Good explanation.:)

From the CDC:

"Drownings: The Reality"

On this Page

"We all want to keep our children safe and secure and help them live to their full potential. Knowing how to prevent leading causes of child injury, like drowning, is a step toward this goal.

When most of us are enjoying time at the pool or beach, injuries aren’t the first thing on our minds. Yet, drownings are the leading cause of injury death for young children ages 1 to 4, and three children die every day as a result of drowning.

Thankfully, parents can play a key role in protecting the children they love from drowning.

Prevention Tips

Learn life-saving skills. Everyone should know the basics of swimming (floating, moving through the water) and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

Fence it off. Install a four–sided isolation fence, with self–closing and self–latching gates, around backyard swimming pools. This can help keep children away from the area when they aren’t supposed to be swimming. Pool fences should completely separate the house and play area from the pool.

Make life jackets a "must." Make sure kids wear life jackets in and around natural bodies of water, such as lakes or the ocean, even if they know how to swim. Life jackets can be used in and around pools for weaker swimmers too.

Be on the look out. When kids are in or near water (including bathtubs), closely supervise them at all times. Adults watching kids in or near water should avoid distracting activities like playing cards, reading books, talking on the phone, and using alcohol or drugs."

Edited by cruiseapril

From the CDC:

"Drownings: The Reality"

On this Page

"We all want to keep our children safe and secure and help them live to their full potential. Knowing how to prevent leading causes of child injury, like drowning, is a step toward this goal.

When most of us are enjoying time at the pool or beach, injuries aren’t the first thing on our minds. Yet, drownings are the leading cause of injury death for young children ages 1 to 4, and three children die every day as a result of drowning.

Thankfully, parents can play a key role in protecting the children they love from drowning.

Prevention Tips

Learn life-saving skills. Everyone should know the basics of swimming (floating, moving through the water) and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

Fence it off. Install a four–sided isolation fence, with self–closing and self–latching gates, around backyard swimming pools. This can help keep children away from the area when they aren’t supposed to be swimming. Pool fences should completely separate the house and play area from the pool.

Make life jackets a "must." Make sure kids wear life jackets in and around natural bodies of water, such as lakes or the ocean, even if they know how to swim. Life jackets can be used in and around pools for weaker swimmers too.

Be on the look out. When kids are in or near water (including bathtubs), closely supervise them at all times. Adults watching kids in or near water should avoid distracting activities like playing cards, reading books, talking on the phone, and using alcohol or drugs."

Perfect !!

Getting back to lifeguards at pools on cruise ships. Do you think that there is one person on any cruise ship that wouldn't go to the aid or act if they thought a child was in danger? You say it was that way when you were a child, I think it still is.. I know it still is. Can we tell other children how to behave, I think not. The problem here is that the average person does not know the signs of a child struggling in the pool, sometimes they look just like children who are playing. Bottom line is that parents know their children better than anyone and they are the best suited to watch them.