Day Room in Fort Lauderdale?

flyingv4me

Is there such a thing as day rooms in Fort Lauderdale? My flight doesn't leave until 8:00 PM on 1/26/14 from FFL. I thought about simply getting a room and checking out early, but it probably wouldn't be available until 2:00 or later; thus, defeating the purpose of the day room. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your advice!

Every hotel does it, but it all depends on availability. There are lots of threads on this subject with suggestion if you look on pages 2, 3, 4, etc.

I couldn't find them, and the search function gave me threads for 2006 - 2011. Not exactly current. I didn't mean to bother you. :(

I couldn't find them, and the search function gave me threads for 2006 - 2011. Not exactly current. I didn't mean to bother you. :(

You're not bothering me, but it's a question that is asked repeatedly every week. Just click on the pages and scan down.

http://www.between9and5.com/ This site is one source for identifying hotels offering day rooms. As mentioned above, availability (largely driven by the tourist season) is the key; airport hotels that are used to customers with crazy flight times will likey be your best bet.

Good luck! :)

The Fort Lauderdale Tourism Department has an excellent website that includes a list of hotels noting whether they have shuttles and day rooms (based on availability): http://www.sunny.org/travel-trade/pr...otel-shuttles/. I would start there and make inquiries directly to the hotels listed. There is lots of other useful information on that site.

Do you know if Miami has the same type if info. The FLL page was very helpful but I'd like to check MIA as well. Can't get the right thing when I google. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Folks...This is not rocket science and it's not some sort of special accommodation that only certain hotels specialize in. All hotels are in business to take your money and will happily do so if they have a room available. It doesn't matter whether you spend the night in the room or not because their housekeeping staff usually leaves by 5:00 PM, so there is no way they can clean the room after you leave and re-rent it again that night. The room will just be vacant until the housekeeping staff comes back in the next morning. In other words, all you are doing is renting a room and not spending the night in it.

The key here is whether they have a room available early enough in the morning when you plan to arrive. That depends on whether they have empty rooms the night before or someone checks out early in the morning, the housekeeping staff cleans it right away and makes it ready to rent again. Only the hotel can answer those questions so you really need to choose a hotel, pick up the phone, dial their number and call them direct to get your questions answered.

It's just that simple.

Sorry to have been a bother. You seem to know a lot about it and thought that what Cruise Critic was all about - sharing information.

I just shared a boatload of information. It's up to you whether you use it or not.

It's not as easy.

Picking up the phone to call hotels now, won't get the answer of what availability will be on the day you get off the ship.

One way to rent such a room is to book 1 day. Go to the hotel. If they don't have a room at the time of your arrival, you can at least drop your luggage off. Ask for the earliest available room to be assigned to you. They should be able to tell you approx. time. While waiting they should usually allow you to use the facilities, pool, laundry, restaurants, business centre, etc. Or you can go out shopping or other excursions, or rent a car.

All hotels should have a room ready starting in mid-morning, after the cleaning stuff get through some of the rooms. Pretty well all hotels will have most of the rooms cleaned by mid-afternoon. So you can go take shower, nap, etc.

It's not as easy.

Picking up the phone to call hotels now, won't get the answer of what availability will be on the day you get off the ship.

One way to rent such a room is to book 1 day. Go to the hotel. If they don't have a room at the time of your arrival, you can at least drop your luggage off. Ask for the earliest available room to be assigned to you. They should be able to tell you approx. time. While waiting they should usually allow you to use the facilities, pool, laundry, restaurants, business centre, etc. Or you can go out shopping or other excursions, or rent a car.

All hotels should have a room ready starting in mid-morning, after the cleaning stuff get through some of the rooms. Pretty well all hotels will have most of the rooms cleaned by mid-afternoon. So you can go take shower, nap, etc.

The hotels know the odds are they will have a room ready, but if not, they just do what you just said. What people here don't understand is a day room is not really a day room. It's just renting a room for the night and checking you in as early as possible.

That is what I am going to do. Reserve a one night stay and request early checkin and just leave about 6pm. I'd rather spend the extra few dollars and now I at least have one then play around with this day rate thing.

That is what I am going to do. Reserve a one night stay and request early checkin and just leave about 6pm. I'd rather spend the extra few dollars and now I at least have one then play around with this day rate thing.

There's really no such thing as a "day rate." They're charging for you the room whether you spend the night or not.

I arranged a cheaper rate for a day room than for a regular night's stay. I'm sure this was easier to do because it was off-season (Labor Day weekend).

We got a day room at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port. I dealt with the local property itself rather than the corporate reservations line or the website.

My cruise returned to port on Sunday, Sept. 2. Our room reservation was for Saturday, Sept. 1, but we were guaranteed for late check-in (9 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 2) and in advance were guaranteed a late check-out of 6 p.m.

The normal room rate was $147 per night, but the front desk manager offered me the above for $99.

Even though we were there on Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., our reservation in their system was for Saturday, with late check-in and check-out.

We napped, hung out at the pool, got take out lunch from about a block or two away (pizza for the kids, sushi for my wife and me). There as an older couple at the pool doing the same thing as us.

Bottom line, I was able to get a cheaper day rate than the normal nightly rate. But I was also persistent, this was about the eighth or tenth property I called.

The only unhappy person in all of this was the taxi driver, who waited in line at the port for a long time only to take us about one block past the street entrance to Port Everglades. Not my problem, but I did give him a huge tip, I felt badly that he waited so long for a fare and then got such a crappy fare.

Is there such a thing as day rooms in Fort Lauderdale? My flight doesn't leave until 8:00 PM on 1/26/14 from FFL. I thought about simply getting a room and checking out early, but it probably wouldn't be available until 2:00 or later; thus, defeating the purpose of the day room. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your advice!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39433328#post39433328

I arranged a cheaper rate for a day room than for a regular night's stay. I'm sure this was easier to do because it was off-season (Labor Day weekend).

We got a day room at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port. I dealt with the local property itself rather than the corporate reservations line or the website.

My cruise returned to port on Sunday, Sept. 2. Our room reservation was for Saturday, Sept. 1, but we were guaranteed for late check-in (9 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 2) and in advance were guaranteed a late check-out of 6 p.m.

The normal room rate was $147 per night, but the front desk manager offered me the above for $99.

Even though we were there on Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., our reservation in their system was for Saturday, with late check-in and check-out.

We napped, hung out at the pool, got take out lunch from about a block or two away (pizza for the kids, sushi for my wife and me). There as an older couple at the pool doing the same thing as us.

Bottom line, I was able to get a cheaper day rate than the normal nightly rate. But I was also persistent, this was about the eighth or tenth property I called.

The only unhappy person in all of this was the taxi driver, who waited in line at the port for a long time only to take us about one block past the street entrance to Port Everglades. Not my problem, but I did give him a huge tip, I felt badly that he waited so long for a fare and then got such a crappy fare.

How do you know the "normal rate" was $147?

I asked for the normal rate when I first called. Only after I was told that did I ask about the possibility of a day rate. I wanted to know if there would be any difference. I'm curious about stuff like that, and I like posting what I learn and experience on sites like Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor.

So that's how I know.

I understand your skepticism, I'd be wondering the same question if I were you, but now you have your answer. :-)

I know exactly what you're saying about a room is a room is a room no matter what you call it. But what I probably found was the human aspect of the equation. A human being wanted to help out a fellow human being who was an exasperated traveler. I'm not necessarily inferring altruism. It could be a manager with a high occupancy rate in slow season who figures: a) some room revenue is better than no room revenue; and b) she might just gain a future loyal customer.

Moral of the story: If you call a property directly AND you talk with someone empowered to make decisions, standard operating procedures don't necessarily apply.

I asked for the normal rate when I first called. Only after I was told that did I ask about the possibility of a day rate. I wanted to know if there would be any difference. I'm curious about stuff like that, and I like posting what I learn and experience on sites like Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor.

So that's how I know.

I understand your skepticism, I'd be wondering the same question if I were you, but now you have your answer. :-)

I know exactly what you're saying about a room is a room is a room no matter what you call it. But what I probably found was the human aspect of the equation. A human being wanted to help out a fellow human being who was an exasperated traveler. I'm not necessarily inferring altruism. It could be a manager with a high occupancy rate in slow season who figures: a) some room revenue is better than no room revenue; and b) she might just gain a future loyal customer.

Moral of the story: If you call a property directly AND you talk with someone empowered to make decisions, standard operating procedures don't necessarily apply.

If $147 is the "normal rate" how come some people are getting it for $98? But then, some people have to pay $309, so are you sure $147 is the "normal rate."

Well...All I know is I looked up the AAA rate at the Hilton Marina on hilton.com for Sunday, September 1, 2013 and it's $75. I guess that fella you talked to on the phone wasn't very honest with you.

Um, I wrote that it was the Renaissance, I never mentioned any Hilton. Also, I have no idea why you are talking about a 2013 price and thinking it has anything to do with prices in 2012.

So you looked up a different hotel than I stayed in, and you looked up the price for this coming September even though I already stayed there last September.

So tell me again how your research for a room at the Hilton in the future has anything to do with the price of a room at the Renaissance last year???

Hi Everyone :)

After I got off Allure in May, I had a day room at Rodeway Inn & Suites. My flight from MIA was not until 9pm so I didn't fancy hanging around the airport all day.

I called and made the reservation over the phone and they were really helpful. They do a specific 'day room' rate of $49.99 (not including taxes). Admittedly, I had an issue when I checked in and was given a room someone was already in but as soon as I returned to reception, they immediately rectified the situation and gave me a suite for the day - all round really good service!

http://www.hotelftlauderdale.net/dayroom.html

Hope this helps :)

Jo

Archived