Weight Gain

CharlesSilver

The first couple cruises, I pigged out. But after that the novelty wore off and now I only gain a pound or two on a 14 nighter. While I love trying great food or dishes I can't get at home, I no longer feel I have to eat everything available. For example, I often get a fish and a meat entrée at dinner, but skip the rich appetizers and desserts. I walk a lot and use the treadmill on the ship and am active on shore (burning calories).

A little restraint, a little activity, and a little common sense works wonders.

Oh yeah, I also don't drink alcohol ;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Many people have the 'I'm on vacation' approach, which is fine for a short cruise of a week or less, but if you have that approach on a 2week or longer cruise or on B2B's it doesn't work as well.:)

We will be spending 39 days all up on our upcoming cruises, I will be making a concerted effort to hit the gym daily & do interval training as this burns off more fat that just waling or jogging etc at the same pace.

I do eat more on a cruise, but I'm also more active than normal as my normal day at work involves a lot of sitting down.

I don't drink much alcohol, but just one of those extra yummy milk based cocktails carries a really large calorie load, so they will have to be an every now & again treat.

I'm hoping to maintain my current healthy weight, otherwise I might need a new wardrobe half way through!! :D

I recall on our last cruise on Voyager they had a set of scales to weigh yourself at the gym, but not sure if Radiance has them, anyone know?

I tend to loose a pound or two....I am not a fan of the WJ, so I avoid it as much as possible....one of the reasons is I can't stand people making pigs of themselves, and being rude about it like they never had free food before...

I find the portions in the MDR are perfect, I do not need multiple entrées.

And we are extremely busy walking and doing activities in port.

I also run every morning, and the fitness center from time to time....I'm 61 years old...

The first couple cruises, I pigged out. But after that the novelty wore off and now I only gain a pound or two on a 14 nighter. While I love trying great food or dishes I can't get at home, I no longer feel I have to eat everything available. For example, I often get a fish and a meat entrée at dinner, but skip the rich appetizers and desserts. I walk a lot and use the treadmill on the ship and am active on shore (burning calories).

A little restraint, a little activity, and a little common sense works wonders.

Oh yeah, I also don't drink alcohol ;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Although our activity level definitely increases during a cruise, we do drink in moderation but restraint and common sense are not in our vocabulary when it comes to food on a cruise.

8 pounds give or take for me on a 7 day cruise. Hopefully that isn't doubled on our upcoming 15 day. Being we are on the slimmer side, it sure shows both visually and in the belt notches. Fortunately, so far it comes off upon our return but gets more difficult as the years pass.

I always lose weight on a cruise. First cruise I lost 9 pounds. We never take the elevators, always the stairs, we spend most of our time on the Flowrider and we are constantly walking, going and doing on our cruises. PLUS, I am always slightly nauseous the entire cruise so I don't eat as much :D I know, I know, I could take something for the seasickness, but I don't like taking things that make me drowsy and I have not tried the holistic approach yet :p

E, Raptor's DW :)

I love my food and I can eat a lot, so I make sure that the first things I eat, especially at the buffet, are fruit and salad, then I don't want so much heavier food. I do find after a few days that big breakfasts and sweet food give me less energy, so I try not to fill up.

I do love my cocktails on holiday though!

Most people over eat on a cruise, food is everywhere.

agree, and the different types of food on one plate can be 'amazing', I don't understand why people pile up their plates with things that don't go together, like steak and ice-cream (maybe bit of an exaggeration)

I am heavy, and I do use a wheel chair, I can't walk much so most exercise is out of the question. However I do NOT over eat on a cruise, but I do taste a lot of things. I like the 150 central on the Oasis class ships because they give you little portions. I also ask for little portions and take small portions when I am out. When I was younger I might have even been considered under weight, but now with all the back problems I had from a fall, I am way too heavy. People judge, but I don't care. I talk a lot about food, as I am an excellent cook, but in all honesty if you saw me around you would see I eat very little and I hate the feeling of ever feeling full.

I am what some would call a big girl or BBW. I suspect I do gain a few pounds while on a cruise but then, I am big enough that it doesn't really matter.

For the negative comments, may the maker or makers of these comments receive in life all that they truly deserve.

Not everyone can be a perfect barbie doll type.

Some of us have illnesses, medical problems, etc.

Looking forward to my next cruise in a few months,

I am on a vacation, which unfortunately doesn't come too often through the year, so I eat whatever I want and don't feel bad about it. :)

Honestly, I think I gained more weight from alcohol calories than I did from food calories. :eek: I certainly ate more food than I would have at home, but I drank WAY WAY more than I ever do at home. The Premium Beverage package surely assisted with that. ;)

Funny story, one night in the MDR, the head waiter had come by to help our waiter with dessert orders. He messed up and brought me the wrong dessert. I didn't care, and said it was fine, I would eat what he brought. About five minutes later, he showed up with one of every dessert on the menu and sat them all in front of me. Yes, I ate them all too! LOL. :D Needless to say, I was stuffed that night.

Taking the stairs all the time, working out some each day, and all the walking we did in ports probably helped curb some of the weight gain. Within about two weeks of getting back to my normal routine at home, I was back to my pre-cruise weight.

Dan.

You put on 10 pounds on a week long cruise? Wow wee

If I did that I would need a pair of Frank Barone's stretchy pants. (You have to watch Everybody Loves Raymond to get that one).

See, that's the thing - everyone is different. Weight alone is not a good measurement of someone's health or appearance.

Someone 6' tall could easily put on 10 pounds without it being that noticeable, while on someone 5' tall, that would probably be pretty obvious. Also, everyone carries their weight differently. Some people gain weight evenly all over their body, while others carry extra weight in their butt, hips, or stomach, but their arms or legs remain unchanged.

This is misleading and does not include athletes. I am 160lbs at 5'7" and considered overweight even though I am fit due to muscle mass. My personal trainer is considered obese at 5'10" and 185lbs even though he has 5% body fat.

Actually, obesity was calculated at a BMI of 30 or greater.

Adult 5'4" at 174 lbs. more.

Adult 5'9" at 203 lbs. or more.

See, that's the thing - everyone is different. Weight alone is not a good measurement of someone's health or appearance.

Someone 6' tall could easily put on 10 pounds without it being that noticeable, while on someone 5' tall, that would probably be pretty obvious. Also, everyone carries their weight differently. Some people gain weight evenly all over their body, while others carry extra weight in their butt, hips, or stomach, but their arms or legs remain unchanged.

I wasn't talking about it from an appearance or health point of view. I was just saying that to pack on 10 pounds in a week is a lot.

Certainly an admirable approach in my opinion.

I encountered more than a few circa 400lb "monsters" and though it sounds a little draconian, thought maybe the deck patrol could double into some sort of food monitoring capacity (maybe just in the Windjammer) as clearly there is a duty of care by the company at play here.

I DEFINETLY found myself overeating and had to have an hour in the sauna every day to boil the fat out of myself.

Wow, a 400 circa monster eh?

This makes me look forward to my cruise in October even more now.

I'm a big girl, and am constantly paranoid as going out in public as it is becuase I get stared at sometimes like i'm the biggest person to have ever walked the face of the earth! Nice to know the types of people I will be cruising with!

Nevermind deck patrol, why not just throw us overboard and be done with it?

Becca,

I can understand how you feel. I am a big woman as well and I have somehow developed an IDGAF attitude about what other people think of my weight and appearance. I spend my hard earned money to take a vacation and I intend on enjoying it.

If people don't love your big, beautiful self, tell em' to take a long walk off a short plank while in the middle of the cruise.

GO have a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Becca,

I can understand how you feel. I am a big woman as well and I have somehow developed an IDGAF attitude about what other people think of my weight and appearance. I spend my hard earned money to take a vacation and I intend on enjoying it.

If people don't love your big, beautiful self, tell em' to take a long walk off a short plank while in the middle of the cruise.

GO have a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Amen! I love your attitude, Susan!

We try eat like we do at home. We always do breakfast in the cabin. Some days we have a good lunch and skip dinner. We don't do desserts. We drink more, which is extra calories. Even with being active, I generally put on a few lbs, which I lose when I go home.

Looking a recent menu selections on cruise ships, I think it is easier to eat sensibly -- menu options are not that exciting. We eat better at home.

In my history, I've lost weight on cruises. Back home, I run 4 times a week...on a cruise, I run every day. Add the walking around the ship or at the ports. I also don't think the food is all that good, so I rarely overeat.

What you "boil out" in a sauna is not fat. It is water from perspiration. Any weight you lose in a sauna is water weight, easily regained when you drink liquids to quench your thirst.

A lot of folk have said the high salt content in the food leads to excess water retention so maybe losing some of I helped?

I like to think an hour in the sauna does some good in that regard

IMO most cruise line food looks better than it tastes and I don't waste the calories on things I know are fattening but not out of this world. On our last cruise I lost about 5lb.

This is exactly what I think. It's like at my office - if someone brings in the crappy grocery store cookies or cupcakes, I can avoid it no problem. If someone brings in a truly good, high quality, home made (or nice store made) cookie or cupcake, I'm definitely having two. Same thing with food - on the cruise, where the food is mediocre to me, I can avoid going overboard...but if I go to a truly great restaurant back home or on a land-based vacation, I'll pig out. Quality over quantity to me, and I just don't like the quality of cruise food - it's the biggest negative of cruising to me.

(and yes I've only cruised mega line, not high-end line)

I have PCOS and one of the fun side effects of that is easy weight gain.

I'm obese, but currently on Weight Watchers trying to shed the weight with slow but steady success.

On our cruise in September I ate whatever I wanted with the expectation I would come home with a weight gain. I had a goal of gaining no more than 5 pounds (seriously, very easy weight gain), and to make one healthy swap per day (not per meal), for example I got sugar free ice cream one night with warm chocolate melting cake, another day I had shrimp cocktail for an appetizer instead of a bisque.

At dinner every night I had an appetizer, entrée, and dessert, I had an ice cream cone or frozen yogurt every day, and had waffles with peanut butter and a chocolate milk for breakfast every morning.

I came home from the cruise, weighed myself, and lost 3 pounds! I was amazed! But in addition to doing my healthy swaps, we always took the stairs never the elevator, had active shore excursions for the most part, our cabin was in the aft of the ship so it was always a long walk "home", and I drank tons of water and slept really well.

I'm sure everyone's experience is different, but in my opinion, you're on vacation, eat what you want, don't over do it, and try to be active, and you should come out okay.

P.S. Sorry for the rant! :)

Archived