Chair Hogs

Bea3

Well, I am going to be on the Splendor in a few weeks, and I can't wait to take the towels off the chairs as soon as she puts them down. If 15 people put towels down, fine. But if one person puts down 15,....that's a no-no, and we may come to blows over it. I'll be the one in the phoney CCL officer's uniform waiting for her. Get ready U-Tube!

I anxiously await this... :cool::D

Once on the Pride a group of people in the smoking area with the sofas took over a whole section, rearranged furniture and had 4 sofas. They'd send someone up about 6:30 am and put junk there and all day only a few people would be there, sometimes no one. One day I sat down there and a guy came up and told me it was his families area. Oh, where are they? On shore but when they get back it's theirs. People got mad and started absconding the area so they couldn't sit there.

wow its like they thought it was their own ship:eek:

That's a shame, that someone would "take over" chairs, not using them at ONCE. I have never seen this happen so far, but hopefully when we go on the Glory next month(been on other Carnival ships too), it won't be this way.

Wife and I were on the Dream end of October/early November. There were tons of chogs out, but, ehh, what are you gonna do? The staff won't enforce it, period, end of story. They should, but I think they are afraid of offending customers. We just try to get up there as early as we can.

Wife and I were on the Dream end of October/early November. There were tons of chogs out, but, ehh, what are you gonna do? The staff won't enforce it, period, end of story. They should, but I think they are afraid of offending customers. We just try to get up there as early as we can.

If I am on deck and a chair hog has "occupied" a seat(s) with a towel and I see someone looking for a seat, I let them know that I have been sitting here for XX minutes and nobody has shown up yet, I leave it up to them if they want to take the seat(s).

I just move stuff if I haven't seen anyone use the chair for a half hour...especially if it's being saved with one solitary flip-flop LOL. I've was yelled at by the guard of a single flip flop but I just ignore people like that. One guy was really irate and I finally took my sunglasses off and told him to go get a pool attendant and we'd discuss it. He shut up because he knew exactly what he was doing. Rude people don't deserve to be treated any other way. One time this woman showed up around noon and zoomed to my chair and asked where her towel was. I told her I folded it up and held onto it for a couple hours then gave it to the towel guys. She, at least, had the courtesy to look embarrassed. I've not seen "pool hogs" on my past several cruises which weren't with Carnival so I think this is a "Carnival thing" as that is the only place where I've seen this strange behavior of people going out early early in the morning and placing items on chairs then disappearing not to be seen again until late in the morning. But, in general I have zero problem moving people's stuff if they disappear. I plan on actually "using" the chair for a few hours.

I just move stuff if I haven't seen anyone use the chair for a half hour...especially if it's being saved with one solitary flip-flop LOL. I've was yelled at by the guard of a single flip flop but I just ignore people like that. One guy was really irate and I finally took my sunglasses off and told him to go get a pool attendant and we'd discuss it. He shut up because he knew exactly what he was doing. Rude people don't deserve to be treated any other way. One time this woman showed up around noon and zoomed to my chair and asked where her towel was. I told her I folded it up and held onto it for a couple hours then gave it to the towel guys. She, at least, had the courtesy to look embarrassed. I've not seen "pool hogs" on my past several cruises which weren't with Carnival so I think this is a "Carnival thing" as that is the only place where I've seen this strange behavior of people going out early early in the morning and placing items on chairs then disappearing not to be seen again until late in the morning. But, in general I have zero problem moving people's stuff if they disappear. I plan on actually "using" the chair for a few hours.

Nah, I've seen the exact same thing on RCCL, NCL, and Princess.

You see the same thing on Southwest Airlines: idiots who pay for Early Bird Check-in, then think that gives them the right to "save seats" for their traveling companions who didn't pay for it.

In both cases, I do the same thing: move the offending article. If I were ever threatened for having done so, I'd go immediately to the first person in uniform and tell them I'd been physically threatened by a fellow passenger.

They do it at the place we stay at in Myrtle Beach too. They reach over the fence and place their towels or whatever on the lounge chairs that are along the fence line. When the pool opens at 9am every single chair is already reserved.

I honestly do not know what the answer to this problem is. Yes, I have seen them put a few stickers on chairs but, only removed items once. Sadly, the poor woman who took that chair got cursed out by the previous "owner"......People can become very aggressive and hostile when they believe someone took "their" chair.

I think the real problem is what I call "Chair Bullies".

It's those entitled people that stay out till 4am, get up at noon, and expect a poolside chair to be sitting there for them. And when they see people actually get up before noon to get a lounger by the pool, they are the ones that scream "Chair Hog" and try to Bully themselves a chair unfairly.

You should all be ashamed you "Chair Bullies". Have some decency, please.

I honestly do not know what the answer to this problem is. Yes, I have seen them put a few stickers on chairs but, only removed items once. Sadly, the poor woman who took that chair got cursed out by the previous "owner"......People can become very aggressive and hostile when they believe someone took "their" chair.

Carnival workers enforcing the rules. That's all it takes. Making the tips mandatory (non-removable) would go a long way towards this as many folks think that the workers don't enforce the rules because the cruisers would then remove the tips in retaliation for being told "No, you can't do this".