BREAKING NEWS: Carnival Victory: 44 Day Dry dock

• Administrators

Hi everyone!

It sure does look like there will be lots to discuss here on the boards over the next 18 months! Just a quick reminder -- our boards are for the purpose of discussing cruising, ships, shipyards, itineraries, deployments, and other topics related to the cruise industry. Discussing fellow members of Cruise Critic is not on topic discussion for our boards. If you have any questions about this, please review our Guidelines (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines) or send an email to community@cruisecritic.com.

Thanks!

something else i just thought of...

if there are particular problems with the redundancy and fire suppression systems, as has in part been brought to light via the splendor and more notably and recent, triumph debacles, perhaps ccl has decided to drydock and refit ships at fincantieri.

if there are systemic flaws in the design and build of the ships, which would warrant a $300 million investment (as advertised) to improve the same, perhaps they have 'gone back to the source', given that the ship yard has an integral part in design (and of course building) of the ship.

that could explain these extended dry dock schedules which are now becoming more prevalent than we have ever seen.

if i spent several billion dollars building ships with one company for a long period of time, and found that all my ships had a similar intractable problem requiring undue investment, i would go back to the company that built them and expect them to help solve the problem.

maybe we'll see more TAs and Europe in the near future.

all of the above is pure speculation, like (most of) the rest of this thread :)

Remember how long Triumph stayed in Mobile after the fire? That was just for the mechanical repairs and addition of the new redundancy systems. They didn't do any of the 2.0 additions in Mobile. That was done in Freeport and only took a few weeks for the cosmetics. I think Mr Pete is right about the length of the drydocks pertaining to the new mechanical upgrades as opposed to a "Sunshining". That's a whole lotta engineering that's got to be done to upgrade the mechanicals and it doesn't happen in two weeks.

I am not retyping what some said was the most logical reasoning for the drydock duration.

Magic is very unlikely to be the first Carnival ship sent to Asia. When you take a chance and enter a new market with uncertain results, it is far more likely that you try a smaller investment first to see how that goes. So if Carnival tries its hand in Asia it will most likely send one of its smaller ships, not one of its largest. Hence why a Spirit class ship was sent to Australia.

Magic is very unlikely to be the first Carnival ship sent to Asia. When you take a chance and enter a new market with uncertain results, it is far more likely that you try a smaller investment first to see how that goes. So if Carnival tries its hand in Asia it will most likely send one of its smaller ships, not one of its largest. Hence why a Spirit class ship was sent to Australia.

Perhaps you are right. Somebody came up with a good point that the Magic will possibly be doing Europe during the 2015 season. We shall see

Perhaps you are right. Somebody came up with a good point that the Magic will possibly be doing Europe during the 2015 season. We shall see

A Spirit class vessel will most likely be deployed to Asia, not the Magic or any other Dream class vessel.

actually i was referring to the prospect of a ship being transferred from carnival to another brand (such as in the example of holiday to ibero cruceros), and the spirit and legend being transferred to australia, and the carnival australia subsidiary which was formed in coordination with that re-deployment. further, legend is said to be only sailing seasonally per information available, and thereby at this time can be considered to still be 'in the fleet'. so, quite frankly, perhaps they are two different things, but i was referring to both of them. :)

FYI Carnival Australia is not a separate cruise line. It's just the corporate entity that oversees the Australian market.

I really hope they don't rename the ships... Destiny was much better name that Sunshine.

How are you going to name something massive/imposing "Splash"?.. Ridiculous.

I think those names will be reserved for future new orders not announced yet.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think the extended dry docks have to to with the safety and emergency power redundancy initiatives announced last April.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5318

Standard 2 week dry docks include updating of hotel items like carpeting and upholstery. 2.0 upgrades can be done in 2 weeks also.

But redundancy re-cabling of engine rooms, installation of new fire suppression systems and installation of 2 backup generators might explain the longer dry docks.

I think the extended dry docks have to to with the safety and emergency power redundancy initiatives announced last April.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5318

Standard 2 week dry docks include updating of hotel items like carpeting and upholstery. 2.0 upgrades can be done in 2 weeks also.

But redundancy re-cabling of engine rooms, installation of new fire suppression systems and installation of 2 backup generators might explain the longer dry docks.

Recableing wires, installing back up generators, etc, took, at the most, 2 weeks during the Sunshine dry dock. 2.0 upgrades also take, at the most, 2 weeks.

Since the Magic out of Galveston has one of the highest per day ticket costs, maybe the Vista will replace her in 2016?

Vista is coming out in 2016, and Magic is going to dry dock in 2015. No way Galveston is going to stay without a ship doing 7 day Caribbean runs for like a year. Most probably Breeze will move to Galveston and Vista will take her place.

something else i just thought of...

if there are particular problems with the redundancy and fire suppression systems, as has in part been brought to light via the splendor and more notably and recent, triumph debacles, perhaps ccl has decided to drydock and refit ships at fincantieri.

if there are systemic flaws in the design and build of the ships, which would warrant a $300 million investment (as advertised) to improve the same, perhaps they have 'gone back to the source', given that the ship yard has an integral part in design (and of course building) of the ship.

that could explain these extended dry dock schedules which are now becoming more prevalent than we have ever seen.

if i spent several billion dollars building ships with one company for a long period of time, and found that all my ships had a similar intractable problem requiring undue investment, i would go back to the company that built them and expect them to help solve the problem.

maybe we'll see more TAs and Europe in the near future.

all of the above is pure speculation, like (most of) the rest of this thread :)

FYI

The design and building of any vessel is a joint effort, including the owners/line, country of registry, the Class society, insurance, and naval architect(all hired/chosen by the owners), other Maritime agencies and of course the builders. Everyone signs off on the design and systems etc.

AKK

Vista is coming out in 2016, and Magic is going to dry dock in 2015. No way Galveston is going to stay without a ship doing 7 day Caribbean runs for like a year. Most probably Breeze will move to Galveston and Vista will take her place.

I'd be ok with that...

Fabrications? Want facts well here you go. You can apologize later.

I see this on multiple threads. All the other lines are building and carnival isn't doing anything until 2016. Lets look at some facts.

RCI

Last ship built was allure of the seas in 2010. Next ship being built in 2014. A 4 year span.

During that time carnival introduced two ships.

Ncl

Between the jade in 2006. And epic in 2010 a span of four years carnival built 3 ships while ncl sat idle in shipbuilding. Then ncl had another idle period from 2010- 2013 between epic and breakaway and carnival produced another ship.

Carnival has 24 ships

RCI has 21

Ncl has 12.

What? 2nd ship has carnival introduced since 2010? The breeze and?

What? 2nd ship has carnival introduced since 2010? The breeze and?

Between 2006 - present carnival introduced freedom dream and magic then brought out the breeze.

So I was referring to magic in 2010

I personally think know that the Magic has a dry dock scheduled for about the same amount of time as the Freedom and the Victory, and I am pretty sure that the Magic will not get Sunshined. That the extended dry dock times may be due to the new back up systems, not a massive redesign of the ships. I also think that they would have made an announcement by now to get a uptick in booking for those 2 ships.

Archived