does Celebrity offer self-disembarkation

DonnaK

we are considering our first Celebrity cruise on the Summit from NJ, and we prefer to disembark carrying our own luggage. Is this an option on Celebrity?

Yes. I use it all the time. You are usually one of the first off the ship, but can leave when you are ready. Sometimes I leave quickly, sometime I wait until the end.

we are considering our first Celebrity cruise on the Summit from NJ, and we prefer to disembark carrying our own luggage. Is this an option on Celebrity?

Yes you can, but it is kind of awkward. Due to the port configuration, you have to be bussed from the cruise terminal to the ship, and then back on disembarkation. You still have to go thru customs/immigration.

But to answer your question, yes, you can self disembark. The parking is very close to the terminal, so we had one person wait with the luggage while the other got the car to bring it to the terminal to load.

The process at Cape Liberty is excellent. I would recommend getting to the port around 11:00 to drop off luggage, park, check in, etc., and you should be on the ship by around 11:30.

Yes. I use it all the time. You are usually one of the first off the ship, but can leave when you are ready. Sometimes I leave quickly, sometime I wait until the end.

Thanks Orator

Yes you can, but it is kind of awkward. Due to the port configuration, you have to be bussed from the cruise terminal to the ship, and then back on disembarkation. You still have to go thru customs/immigration.

But to answer your question, yes, you can self disembark. The parking is very close to the terminal, so we had one person wait with the luggage while the other got the car to bring it to the terminal to load.

The process at Cape Liberty is excellent. I would recommend getting to the port around 11:00 to drop off luggage, park, check in, etc., and you should be on the ship by around 11:30.

Thanks Wine-O. We love the Cape Liberty terminal (been on Explorer of the Seas several times). So convenient and easy! We've always arrived by 11am too, and we don't mind the shuttle bus.

We self-disembarked from the Summit this past June. It was very efficient. They told us to meet in the Deck 3 conference room (midship) at 6:50am. We didn't get there until 7:10am and the room was pretty full. At 7:20 they started letting us off. They had held all the midship elevators for us so we just lined up and got on the elevators down to Deck 1 - walked off - got right on a bus and were thru Customs in about 5 minutes. By 7:50am we were waiting for our car service.

You'll get the form about disembarking on the second night of the cruise. You should fill it out right away and bring it down to Guest Relations. The form says self-disembarking is limited. When I asked Guest Relations they said they limit it to about 150 passengers.

Pat

We always self disembark but don't bother to meet in the designated area.

We simply walk off when we are ready. It has never been a problem.

We are waiting for the day when they tell us we didn't disembark at the correct (earlier) time so now we can't go!! Yeah, that would be good.

Beryl

• 4 weeks later...

OP here: Just to follow up, we self-disembarked the Summit this morning. We were instructed to head to the Conference Room, deck 3 aft, at 6:50am and that we could expect to disembark within 15 minutes. The ship wasn't cleared until 7:30am, so there was a bit of a crowd by that time. Still, we were in our car driving home by 8am.

They asked that everyone leave their cabins by 8am.

Archived