Changing Travel Agents for an existing booking

So I am not sure what to do.

I have a cruise coming up in February. I booked the cruise directly through Royal Caribbean after doing all of my own research, etc... I then transferred the booking to a travel agent. The TA really has not done much with the booking but make 2 changes (change sail date and cabin). I get no perks by using this TA.

Would it be wrong to change the booking agent to a different agent that is offering free prepaid gratuities and a few other perks?

I would still send the current TA some sort of payment for what she has done, I wouldn't want her to not get paid at all.

Not sure what to do. . ..

So I am not sure what to do.

I have a cruise coming up in February. I booked the cruise directly through Royal Caribbean after doing all of my own research, etc... I then transferred the booking to a travel agent. The TA really has not done much with the booking but make 2 changes (change sail date and cabin). I get no perks by using this TA.

Would it be wrong to change the booking agent to a different agent that is offering free prepaid gratuities and a few other perks?

I would still send the current TA some sort of payment for what she has done, I wouldn't want her to not get paid at all.

Not sure what to do. . ..

The current agent must voluntarily give up the booking. I don't think that they are going to do that.

Perhaps you could ASK for something from them, and see what they say?

I think you better stay with the agent you have, this time and use a different one next time.

Your agent would have to agree to the transfer and why would she? Sounds like she's done everything you've asked her to do. Have you asked her about giving you shipboard credit or any other perks?

My next suggestion would be to cancel and rebook. Check first to see if your present agent charges a cancellation fee and if the cruise price has gone up. You would not have a penalty from the cruiseline if you live in the U.S. since final payment is not due for quite a while.

I transferred it to her because I had talked with her before but had not booked anything with her. I figured I would try but she offers no perks :(

I wanted to add my 2 cents. When I booked my upcoming cruise for this April as part of my shopping around I asked about the various perks each agent was giving. I called various agents and went with the one that was offering an early booking bonus of $100 for the cabin. Plus we got the Oceanview on the 3rd deck and the room immediately assigned. Furthermore we are saving tons of money over other agents.

If you don't shop around you get stuck with the agent that has no perks. Its not fair for you to ask the agent to transfer the reservation to a competitor since you booked in good faith and you knew that there were no perks. If you did not ask then I'm sorry its your fault. If you want to cancel fine that is on you and you may relinquish your current prime stateroom. Really now is $100 worth the chance of getting a new stateroom in a less desirable location? Ask before you do anything.

Just to add my two cents, I disagree with some of the posts. TA are a service business and the best TA gets the most business and there is not a lot of loyalty with so much competition. If you purchased something at store 1 thinking you found a good deal but later found out store 2 offered the same item cheaper do you not refund the item to store 1 because you thought it was a great deal when you purchased it? That is insane. Additionally, if you do not like the service of any TA then you pick a different one. This is not about being "fair" it's about your money and you spend it where you choose.

With a cruise in Feb there is no inventive for a TA not release your booking back to RC as you can always cancel without penalty. Once the TA releases your booking you can book through a new TA. It may take a few hours for your stateroom to reappear in the reservation system again but once it does you can grab it. If anyone tells you anything different they are incorrect as this is what I did.

If your old TA charges a cancellation fee it makes sense to weigh the cost of cancellation with the cost of the perks and any price increase.

Just to add my two cents, I disagree with some of the posts. TA are a service business and the best TA gets the most business and there is not a lot of loyalty with so much competition. If you purchased something at store 1 thinking you found a good deal but later found out store 2 offered the same item cheaper do you not refund the item to store 1 because you thought it was a great deal when you purchased it? That is insane. Additionally, if you do not like the service of any TA then you pick a different one. This is not about being "fair" it's about your money and you spend it where you choose.

With a cruise in Feb there is no inventive for a TA not release your booking back to RC as you can always cancel without penalty. Once the TA releases your booking you can book through a new TA. It may take a few hours for your stateroom to reappear in the reservation system again but once it does you can grab it. If anyone tells you anything different they are incorrect as this is what I did.

If your old TA charges a cancellation fee it makes sense to weigh the cost of cancellation with the cost of the perks and any price increase.

That's great, as long as the cabin price is the same

I agree on the price being the same should be a consideration. Fortunately, price fluctuations happen less often during non peak months such as Feb.

Another option is to ask the TA if they can match the perks from the other TA. To keep the commission, a smaller sized TA might be willing to do this. It's better to lose some money and offer the perk then the entire commission and it's a good way to build a relationship, IMO. Either way you will not know until you try.

Cabin price is $300 per person more now than what we paid. We paid $679 each for the balcony and I looked yesterday and it was $979 each for a balcony. The booking will not be cancelled lol.

Thanks, I think I might have to send some emails to see what I can get.

I have been researching one of the big online cruise agencies and they seem to be pretty good. I called and asked all sorts of questions the other night and they seemed exactly what I want. They are even open 24/7!

I have been researching one of the big online cruise agencies and they seem to be pretty good. I called and asked all sorts of questions the other night and they seemed exactly what I want. They are even open 24/7!

Beware some of those agencies.

Do some "due diligence". Google the name and see if you find any complaints.

I do the same as Travelplus stated. Before I will transfer my cruise over to a TA, I call a few and ask what perks they are offering for that cruise. Then I go with the TA that I feel offerred me the what I want (i.e. rather have OBC and gratuities paid for than spa services or excursions, etc). I have used the same on-line agent for my last 4 cruises because they have offerred me the best packages. Since they can't undercut RC's pricing, the perks are really my only reason to transfer to a TA since I do all the research on what cruise I want on my own.

Archived