Dinner for 2 in a Grand Suite?

We are thinking of booking a Grand Suite on Navigator this winter, and one of the things that really appeals to us about being in a GS is that we can order room service from the full MDR menu!

I have seen photos of the GS, but can't see a dining table there :confused: This may seem like a silly question, but how does it work if you order a room service 3 course dinner in the suite? Does the waiter bring along a folding table or something? Or perhaps there IS a dining table there but I just haven't seen it? We normally have a JS or a D1, and don't bother ordering room service breakfasts as the small table is no good for eating at. If that's what's in the GS I think we might struggle to have that nice romantic meal! :(

We were in a GS on the Freedom a few years ago and had dinner in the room one night. Actually we ate on the balcony, more room and had a nice table with two chairs. I think if we ate in the room, we would have had to use the coffee table. All courses came at the same time.

At the time, copies of the main dinning room menus were suppose to be in the rooms but they were changing the menus so earlier in the day we went and looked at the daily menu posted by the dinning room doors.

We are not slow eaters so the food did not get cold. We my not have eaten everything in the order that we should have.

Don

GS does not have a dining room table. We have only ordered for breakfast or lunch and as the previous posted stated ate that on the balcony table which is quite large. I have no idea if they would bring a folding table for dinner or not. Eating dinner at the coffee table would be quite uncomfortable I would think.

Many thanks for the replies. I hoped I had just missed the dining table in the photos :( Dining on the balcony sounds lovely in summer, but our cruise will be on the Mediterranean in November. Brrrrrrr......

You have to use the coffee table other wise it is the table outside. We found sitting on the floor at the coffee table was a bit easier than sitting on a chair or couch. Not easy getting up, but you might not be as old as we are.:eek:

Thinking out loud here.......there is no reason you can't bring in the chairs and table from the balcony if you don't want to eat out there. There will be plenty of room for dinner. Put them back out when finished. Hmmm going to do that the next go around.

They bring all the courses at once as already mentioned.

Edited by ShipRiders

You have to use the coffee table other wise it is the table outside. We found sitting on the floor at the coffee table was a bit easier than sitting on a chair or couch. Not easy getting up, but you might not be as old as we are.:eek:

Thinking out loud here.......there is no reason you can't bring in the chairs and table from the balcony if you don't want to eat out there. There will be plenty of room for dinner. Put them back out when finished. Hmmm going to do that the next go around.

They bring all the courses at once as already mentioned.

Oooh! That IS a good idea :) Thank you!

A romantic meal for two sitting on the floor at the coffee table just doesn't do it for me ;) I might put a tablecloth and into my suitcase now :)

Many thanks for the replies. I hoped I had just missed the dining table in the photos :( Dining on the balcony sounds lovely in summer, but our cruise will be on the Mediterranean in November. Brrrrrrr......

The OS (Owner's Suite) is the next step up from a GS, and has a full size dining table in the stateroom.

Oooh! That IS a good idea :) Thank you!

A romantic meal for two sitting on the floor at the coffee table just doesn't do it for me ;) I might put a tablecloth and into my suitcase now :)

Your welcome. Take pictures of the table in the room and let us know how it turns out.

I am going to try this myself. If it is before your cruise I will post pictures.

I have seen photos of the GS, but can't see a dining table there :confused: This may seem like a silly question, but how does it work if you order a room service 3 course dinner in the suite?

the table is on the balcony along with chairs. I suppose you could drag it inside if you needed/wanted to. the entire order will be brought all at once though, you do not get served course by course. the table is plenty large enough for 2.

If you do this, don't forget the LED candles.

Yes, definitely! ..... and soft music in the background..... This romantic meal is all coming together now. Looks like we won't be sitting on the floor at the coffee table after all ;)

When it comes time to eat, whether you sit at the coffee table, on the deck in the cold, bring in the chairs and table, sit on the floor, lye on the bed, in the tub, on the john:D or stand on your head:rolleyes:, having the GS, room service and everything else that comes with it is a great experience. :) You will love it!! If you can swing it, book it.

Room service in a GS is great...we plan ahead for it on at least one evening...we have them put all of the food on the coffee table, and set the tablecloth with silverware, etc...out on the balcony....we will bring each course out ourselves....

And yes, the room attendant sets out the evenings MDR menu each day for you well in advance...

more pictures:

Which ship did you take these photos on? The pictures could just be deceiving but GS appears to be just a slight bit different than ours on AOS and EOS. I'm sure they vary a little by ship. Looks a tad larger.

I also see a nice padded chair at the desk/makeup area. Never had that in any of ours. Will need to ask for one on our next cruise.

When it comes time to eat, whether you sit at the coffee table, on the deck in the cold, bring in the chairs and table, sit on the floor, lye on the bed, in the tub, on the john:D or stand on your head:rolleyes:, having the GS, room service and everything else that comes with it is a great experience. :) You will love it!! If you can swing it, book it.

Thank you, it does sound wonderful! Just what we're looking for :) After this one, we might just have to book a summer one to have the experience of doing it all over again on the balcony! :D

The outside table will be brought in if you request along with a table cloth. I enjoy breakfast on the balcony and sometimes lunch. Have not done dinner yet but have been told the table works ok in the cabin and certainly something to enjoy. You will find it very difficult to go back once you experience the suite!

We had the table brought in from the balcony and it worked well,even with 4 of us.

White tablecloth and nice cutlery came with the meal.

Because I knew that all the food was delivered together we all chose cold starters and ate these after the hot main meal, worked a treat,

Our itinerary this cruise, we leave St. Maarten at 8pm...that is the night we will have room service...exquisite dinner on he balcony, just after sunset, as the ship pulls away from the pier and gets underway, watching the lights of St. Maarten pass by and disappear...it doesn't get any better than that!!!

And all it costs is a good tip to the server.....(and the wine)

13 days...I'm ready!!

Edited by B-52

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. It's good to hear that people do actually have their meals in comfort in the suite. I didn't want the cabin steward to think we were odd! ;) We will probably only do it once on our trip though, because we are actually quite sociable and like to have company for dinner too :D Looks like I won't have to bring my own table cloth either, which is a bonus when trying to minimise the weight of my luggage!! :o