Disney Wonder: Food Really That Bad?

Tralfie

So I'm considering making my second-ever cruise on the Disney wonder in November of 2014. They have a 5-day cruise that fits my sked and my budget. (My first cruise will be on NCL’s Breakaway in March).

Here's my big concern: As I'm reading various reviews of the Wonder, I keep hearing over and over again that the food is awful. One of the things I kinda love about the Breakaway is that there are so many different specialty/pay restaurants... you aren't limited to the free MDR. But on the Wonder, there's really only one specialty restaurant, so I kinda want the various MDR's to have good food.

Thoughts?

As always, thanks in advance!

Richard/Tralfie

So I'm considering making my second-ever cruise on the Disney wonder in November of 2014. They have a 5-day cruise that fits my sked and my budget. (My first cruise will be on NCL’s Breakaway in March).

Here's my big concern: As I'm reading various reviews of the Wonder, I keep hearing over and over again that the food is awful. One of the things I kinda love about the Breakaway is that there are so many different specialty/pay restaurants... you aren't limited to the free MDR. But on the Wonder, there's really only one specialty restaurant, so I kinda want the various MDR's to have good food.

Thoughts?

Richard/Tralfie

We cruised on Disney Dream in December. Heard the same complaints about cold food, etc.. We had no problems on the Dream, and I'm not expecting any on our Oct Wonder cruise. Besides, if you get served something you don't like they'll happily replace it.

PS: Dis has the best buffet I've seen on ships with King Crab, shrimp and much more.

I'm not sure if I'm any real assistance since I only took a 3 day Dream cruise. I found the offerings to be much more upscale (scallops, duck, escargot, salad with goat cheese which is a HUGE favorite of mine, root vegetables, artistic presentations and hearty french onion soups etc) than my previous RCI and CCLs (which are more banquet style like lasagna.)

There were things I loved- scallops, salads, asparagus soup yay! They brought out the 'kid' in folks with a speciality sundae each night (strawberry shortcake I couldn't turn down) but there was a nice low sugar strawberry cheesecake, twinkie loved the Grand Marnier souffle (never seen a souffle on any other cruise lines) and food is very subjective. Some don't like the 'shrimp cheesecake' appetizer in Animators, but we really liked it! My honey was unimpressed with the square 'ready made' looking hashbrowns at breakfast, but he didn't see the amazing potato hash in the buffet upstairs. Its the single best breakfast buffet I've ever had. I actually prefered the scrambled eggs in the buffet to the MDR! And they had asparagus stalks at breakfast?! Alright! Never seen that before. Lots of great offerings up there, and never waited in line for buffet or table on an excursion morning. Excellent job with crowd control. I waited forEVER at CCL buffet.

Can't speak to lunch, the only lunch we had were burgers and paninis (paninis were really nice, one had brie I think?) really quickly before the muster started and the food shut down. (We got on board later than I would have liked)

My dad told our Head Waiter that he didn't really care for the pineapple cake, and the next day we had a HUGE decadent tray of chocolate covered strawberries and gourmet pastries delivered to our table 'for apologies'. On the other hand, Dad enjoyed the escargot and the lamb. Our service was SO excellent that anything we were crazy about was made up for dramatically. Our main waiter (Mihail from Hungary, I TOTALLy recommend!) said about the pineapple cake "This I never recommend..." and so we learned after that and said "What do YOU recommend?"

The pizza on our Dream was so drastically much better than the new 'improved' CCL pizza (last year, they had tons of options on Conquest and on the Dream, they had flat greasy pizza with next to no sauce or toppings and it took forever.) And the chicken tenders were great too.

I was VERY happy with our food options, and we never ate at Palo but most people give the brunch wave reviews. We didn't want to miss any of the dining rooms (first cruise and only a 3 day) and we tend to come from the school of thought of why pay for food on a cruise (although I know why some do, but we do not!)

We were SUPER STUFFED. And there was a huge pirate buffet we didn't even get to! (No way my pirate corset would allow me to eat another bite) but the rest of the family went and said they had an incredible crepes. I will not be wearing a corset next year (more eatin' room!) and intend to make it to the pirate buffet. I also intend to order a mickey ice cream bar as much as I want and I totally forgot to do!

I can't wait to check out the new dining areas on the Magic after its fall update.

I also have never been on NCL, so I'm not a whole lotta help there, but I have heard good things about it. I think some of food is subjective and A LOT of it has to do with how it's prepared. We got the late seated dining and prefered it because it was relaxed and not rushed. Whether that kind of seating means they have to re-heat stuff, I'm not sure. We didn't suffer too much. I think the busy main seating could result in food getting cold etc. although I think they do try to minimize it. The preparation and service are just as important as the menu.

All I can say is that we couldn't wait to book again. If your service is as good as ours, hopefully you have the same experience, (although I don't know if Wonder has different menus or not) and if so, you will likely book again as well?

If its only 5 days, what's to lose? Anything's better than recent CCL...

One of the things with NCL is that most people say that in order to get a decent meal, you need to eat in one of the pay restaurants. For the other lines, it is said that the quality of the food in the included MDRs is a step up.

Now, I have no personal experience as I haven't sailed NCL, so I'm going by what I've been told.

We are going on our 2nd Wonder cruise in 5 weeks - the Panama Canal :D

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Food is very subjective and every cruise line is different. My mom has cruised a few times on both NCL and DCL, and she thinks the food on DCL is better. I have noticed that new cruisers like the food better than seasoned cruisers - I think that seasoned cruisers get a little jaded.

Usually the food on DCL is excellent, sometimes it is just good, there are occasional misses. Palo has always been excellent (and Remy, but that isn't on the Wonder). I only recall one thing I didn't like on DCL and that was on the Wonder - pancakes on disembarkation day. BUT, I eat gluten free, so you would not have those same pancakes, and I have had GF pancakes from Disney that are wonderful, so I put that down as an anomaly. The servers are VERY eager to please and make sure you enjoy your meal, so if you aren't happy, just ask for something else.

Please believe and trust me when I tell you that I am very confident that your biggest dilemmas will be 1) there are too many things you like and want to eat, and 2) trying not to eat too much!!

My family and I are big fans of the buffet on the Wonder & Magic.

We are not big fans of the food in the MDR's. For us it's a little to fancy. We just got off the Wonder in July. We are not big fans of different spices and sauces. There was one night where I couldn't find anything on the menu I wanted to eat. I ordered a steak and was not pleased with it. But food is very subjective.

Food is very subjective and very dependent on the staff you get. I have seen 2 people order the exact same item and come away with wildly different opinions.

We have not been on the Wonder, but I found the food on the magic to be on par or better than most other lines - service was a bit more hit or miss, our waiters were just eh but the ones at the table next to use seemed awesome, and they did warm up a bit by the end of a short cruise.

I always think Disney staff has it harder on the ships that do the short runs, so much guest turnover to deal with.

The food in MDR on all the Disney ships is BLAND. Serving thousands of people, they stick to 'middle of the road' tastes and try to give it some flavor by going very heavy on the salt (beware the swelling). The food is not bad, just average and uninteresting.

The up-charge food coming from Palo's and Remy's small kitchens is quite good.

One option that has always given us good, hot food at dinner is to eat at Topsider's. At dinner, this is NOT a buffet; it is a sit down restaurant with a self serve salad bar in addition to the menu. The food is prepared when you order it--fresh, hot, and GOOD. I had the same item one night in the MDR and the next at Topsider's--there was no comparison.

If you want the "pay extra" option, it is possible to book more than one Palo dinner after boarding if all the slots are not filled. And Palo is always amazing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the MDR food on my two Disney Wonder cruises last year, thought it was on par with the best I had on both Celebrity and Azamara, but as others have said, food opinions are very subjective.

It was way better than Princess or HAL MDR food (for my taste), and a bit better than RCL. Tritons was my favorite - I also had breakfast and lunch in there every day - enjoyed everything I ordered.

The fresh fruit available near the pool deck was great - I had more than my share, loaded up every day and brought some to my room for evening snacking.

Room service menu was also pretty good, with great service (I was surprised how quick they were).

I can't comment on the Wonder buffet - I find the "cafeteria-style" line annoying (I am probably too impatient for this?), wish it was the "stations" set-up like on RCL where you can pop in and out for just the stuff you want.

Hopefully you will enjoy your Wonder cruise - I would recommend that ship to anyone who is a Disney fan.

How's Alaska lucky duck!:D

Alaska is perfect, everyone should go, yes we read its good but until you come you do not understand mother natures power and beauty, I do not like this word, but awesome is the only word close to it. The food has not been bland the food has been fantastic, the service great. Whilst everything is personal opinion I can't see anyone saying its not good or its bland, it's great, too much of it.

We were on Wonder in June to Alaska. I found that if I asked our head server for suggestions he was always right on. One night he made a suggestion and I said well I was looking at this dish. He brought me both and he was right with his selection. Not to worry the extra food didn't go to waste our older dd ate the remainder. She just graduated from UF and was so excited to have real food around her. Lol

We also ate dinner at Palos 2 x and brunch once, still the best food ever.

Been on the Wonder twice. Food was good the first time, better the second. Food is so subjective. An earlier poster found it bland but I found it had plenty of flavor. Maybe not bold and adventurous, but not bland either.

There are plenty of choices, including a Johnny Rockets if you want that. Palo was excellent and I would recommend one evening if you can find the time.

I thought the food was a bit better our second trip but I also felt like the food served was broader in spectrum than what we say on the RCCL cruise we took in between the two Wonder cruises.

Food service is sometimes spotty and I would NOT recommend the character breakfast for the food.

I would never choose a cruise line or ship because of the food reviews. Too many variables between people that cause one person to enjoy the same meal another thinks isn't worth giving to the dogs.

Been on the Wonder twice. Food was good the first time, better the second. Food is so subjective. An earlier poster found it bland but I found it had plenty of flavor. Maybe not bold and adventurous, but not bland either.

There are plenty of choices, including a Johnny Rockets if you want that. Palo was excellent and I would recommend one evening if you can find the time.

I thought the food was a bit better our second trip but I also felt like the food served was broader in spectrum than what we say on the RCCL cruise we took in between the two Wonder cruises.

Food service is sometimes spotty and I would NOT recommend the character breakfast for the food.

I would never choose a cruise line or ship because of the food reviews. Too many variables between people that cause one person to enjoy the same meal another thinks isn't worth giving to the dogs.

Jinny rockets is on RCI, but food great on the Wonder, off to palo brunch shortly

We were on the Wonder December 2011. We LOVED our meals in all the MDR. My favorite though was Brunch with DH in Palo. It was awesome. On the other hand they have one of the better buffets. You can't go wrong we're ever you decide to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on the Wonder in March and had no issues with the food. We did eat at the speciality restaurant twice on our 5 day cruise but that was just to have a more quiet dinner experience. I had no issues with the food at any venue on Disney Wonder.. Enjoy!!:)

On our Wonder cruise, both my wife and I remarked about how good the MDR food was, and that it was far above what we remember from our cruises on Royal Caribbean. Food is the most subjective thing there is, so take that for that it's worth.

I am really surprised to read this. We have been on the Wonder twice. On all if our Disney cruises the food has been outstanding, and I assume that there that shouldn't be much difference between the four ships in quality. We enjoy the dining rotation, but always manage to reserve Palo for their exceptional service and outstanding food. I cannot imagine getting anything but a perfect meal there (or skipping the molten chocolate cake). But even the lunch buffet with crab legs and jumbo shrimp is something I have never seen on another cruise line, and that alone will get me to book a Disney cruise again!

A few years ago we were on a cruiseline where the food was consistently bland, even at their specialty restaurant. But I chose that cruise for it's itinerary, and just to experience a completely different style of cruising. I still had a great time despite the mediocre menu (and didn't gain any weight). So I understand the disappointment with bad food, but Disney not having good food? :eek:

One of the things with NCL is that most people say that in order to get a decent meal, you need to eat in one of the pay restaurants. For the other lines, it is said that the quality of the food in the included MDRs is a step up.

Now, I have no personal experience as I haven't sailed NCL, so I'm going by what I've been told.

I read the same complaints and there are a lot of them. I haven't cruised with NCL either but my boss just did on the Breakaway and he and his family kept going to the specialty rest's because the rests incl in the fare were not good. Same blan food in every one of them, cold and poor service because the ship was so over crowded. I have sailed with Disney and I loved their food and Cabana's was my hubby's fav. Remy although pricy was out of this world.

Thoughts?

Richard/Tralfie

Odd, we have done 2 Wonder cruises the food was fine to great. Not to mention there is always some complainers on all the line sties, I take them with a grain of salt.

There are 3 MDR's and Palos and the buffet, Room Service and the snack bars.

The MDR all had a good varying selection, and as DCL has the rotating 3 MDR restaurants there really is not worries over specialty or limited choices. Palos was excellent:D

AKK

Archived