Canada/New England dilemma

warmwinds

We're currently booked Sept. 2014 on Summit to Canada and New England out of Bayonne. It's 14 days, which is long for us, since we have to spend the night before and the night after the cruise before flying. We have the plum aft Aqua 1138 booked on Summit.

Just got an e-mail from RCL for a 10 night, one way out of Bayonne/back from Quebec. Ports it misses are PEI and Newfoundland - we've spent several days on PEI, never been to Newfoundland, and I was looking forward to Gros Morne.

It would be more complicated with airfare (it's not easy to get from Quebec to Oregon), it would be on RCL (not Celebrity)...but I really like the idea of 10 days. And for the same amount of money (the difference in nights notwithstanding) we could do a suite on RCL.

I'm wrestling with the pros and cons of switching - any advice?

From everything you have stated, switching cruises would make no sense to me. (Shorter cruise - missing Newfoundland - more difficult air arrangements.)

And, it sounds like you are thrilled with your AQ stateroom on the aft. :confused: Since you are flying clear across the country I would think the longer cruise would make the trip more worthwhile. In the end, it is obviously your choice to make. :) You have to do what you feel most comfortable with.

Especially with your great cabin, I'd stick with the better itinerary on the Summit - we're doing it this year on October 5. Since you're flying from the West Coast, is an extra day both before and after really necessary? I'd agree with the extra day before, but we were able to find a good selection of flights home to the West Coast in mid- to late afternoon of the day we disembark. At least for us, with the time zone change we still get home by bedtime.

I forgot the most important part, but even so I think we'll stick with what we have. If we did the 10 day, I'd get to spend a few extra days in my favorite place - New York. Yes, we don't HAVE to spend the day after, but our airline (Alaska) only has one flight a day that makes sense, and that's at 6 pm, so we sort of like stretching out NY to the day and a half.

But you're right, a lot more cons than pros to switch.

But even the suite wouldn't sway anyone? (we've never had a suite before).

On the other hand, it will be our first time in Aqua, so we were looking forward to that.

Stay with what you have. Better itinerary, better cruiseline, easier flights especially out of Quebec. Why are you staying a night after disembarkation, stay before not after, sounds like extra expense not needed?

We did this exact cruise last Sept and really had a great experience.

warmwinds: We are on the 9/7/2014. If that is the one you are on, do join our roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1799644

Janet and I are also on the 07 Sep 2014 cruise -- in case you needed more incentive than cruising with Alan/Allyn. :) If you are on that cruise, we will be practically neighbors (we are in 1141).

Ray in NH

And if you aren't on Sept 7 but are on Sept 21, come'on over to the roll call for our cruise.

If there is any way you can come in a little early it would be great. Doesn't Alaska codeshare with American, so you have more choices?

We live in the area, so I'm not familiar with the convenience of getting to Manhattan from Newark, but if you got a hotel on the PATH or NJ Transit, you could just hop into NYC easily or you could fly in and out of JFK (but that isn't an easy transfer to the ship).

Beth

Thanks everyone. We live in Eugene, not Portland, so flights are even trickier, AA doesn't fly out of EUG.

But what was the question? Oh yeah, we WANT to spend the one night after so that's ok.

And thanks for the invites to the roll calls.

From everything you have stated, switching cruises would make no sense to me. (Shorter cruise - missing Newfoundland - more difficult air arrangements.)

And, it sounds like you are thrilled with your AQ stateroom on the aft. :confused: Since you are flying clear across the country I would think the longer cruise would make the trip more worthwhile. In the end, it is obviously your choice to make. :) You have to do what you feel most comfortable with.

Right on!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone. We live in Eugene, not Portland, so flights are even trickier, AA doesn't fly out of EUG.

But what was the question? Oh yeah, we WANT to spend the one night after so that's ok.

And thanks for the invites to the roll calls.

If you think you are remote for flights, we live in Shady Cove, Oregon. Stick with what you have!!!!! Absolutely!!! Your cabin is fabulous!!! We have had those staterooms several times and you will be sooooooo happy.

LOL I had to go look up where Shady Cove was!

Hey, quick question...we were thinking of going to Central Point next July 4 to see the fireworks at the fairgrounds from the parking lot of the Fairfield Inn on La rue...they said the fireworks are RIGHT THERE. Good idea? We'll also be going to Ashland and taking a jet boat on the Rogue.

Archived