Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

In the last few days this bush has blossomed in the garden quite close to the old barn ... we didn't ever plant it and have no idea what it is and how it came here .... The bush to the right is a sloe tree that fell over and I left it to regrow. They are all protected anyway as we are in a conservation area and all trees have protection orders.

This is what I see at this moment whilst lazing on my sofa looking out through the doors. A typical unkempt and lovely natural English garden where nature "has won" and I have conceded total defeat.

E45BAE1A-4EF6-4FFF-B5CB-F4BDAAA1BC28.jpg

Might your lovely white flowering bush be a clematis? The flowers look like clematis to me.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!: This is a big one in the USA to honor our veterans, including what was done with great success in World War II to save England and Europe.THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks.

Terry, I wonder whether you have been watching too many American films, all of which seem to us lowly Brits, that all invariably show that it was the US that single-handedly won WW2 and saved the world! I think to say that American saved Europe is a touch simplistic and perhaps unintentionally a little insensitive and unappreciative of ours and others efforts and sacrifices. :)

I think that all British are very appreciative of the efforts made by our ex-colonial subjects, ( :D ) but I guess our recollection was more that the help was a touch reticent and really only nudged in December 1941 by those nasty Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor and therefore declaring war on the US than a sense of philanthropic concerns about our welfare and for "saving us". American troops started to arrive a month after Pearl Harbor. I wonder whether they would have arrived in January 1942 without Pearl Harbor? Personally, and respectfully, I rather doubt it.

We had 700,000 military deaths and 60,000 civilians deaths during WW2 and much of my family from elsewhere in Europe was destroyed. 6 million people died in the death camps. It is estimated that 60 million people died in WW2. It is estimated Russia lost 20 million military and civilians. Arguably the British and the rest of us Europeans were fighting after Pearl Harbor as much for the USA as the Americans were fighting for us. Tragically, 416,000 American military died in WW2 and I presume few civilians.

In the end it ended, but we must avoid romanticising or retro-fitting history to be as we would like it to be rather than what it was.

Whatever is true, veterans and those that gave their lives should be the focus of these days and we can only hope that their sacrifice at least leaves some lessons for future generations but I doubt it because the human race is at least consistent in that it never learns from it's previous mistakes. I don't know whether that makes me a pessimist or a realist.

But I do not think it fair to others to say that America saved "England" (Britain?) and Europe.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks for the info Jeff! We really liked Mr. Carney here. He did an excellent job of leading our country's banks through the tough times. His successor has yet to prove himself and we wait with hook in mouth to see how he manages. I find that news coverage here has been reduced to blips of questionable information with little in depth reporting or context being supplied. Obviously the Bank of England would need to prepare for something as momentous as the potential impact of a default by Greece. The news coverage seems to focus any hint of scandal or possible misstep by people in politics or government.

Thanks for the info Jeff! We really liked Mr. Carney here. He did an excellent job of leading our country's banks through the tough times. His successor has yet to prove himself and we wait with hook in mouth to see how he manages. I find that news coverage here has been reduced to blips of questionable information with little in depth reporting or context being supplied. Obviously the Bank of England would need to prepare for something as momentous as the potential impact of a default by Greece. The news coverage seems to focus any hint of scandal or possible misstep by people in politics or government.

This was one of those lovely stories where someone hit enter and the wrong person received it.

I recently received a note that a hotel employee was sending his boss saying that my latest request could be turned down because " he receives too much already". A badly written note which after the suprise I thought this hugely funny because we all do it.

His boss wrote to me to tell me he was going to give him some "training" and I asked him not to. I told him that I found it funny rather than annoying and that it was a mistake we all sadly make and he should be let off by being made to buy the cream cakes in the afternoon and wearing a dunces cap. His boss thought this funny and appreciated my attitude.

As it happens the individual concerned became terribly helpful and was astonished when I wrote to the area director of the hotel group recently (a very feisty Australian woman who wifey and I know well ...) thanking him through her for all his help.

Every cloud has a potential silver lining.

Carney is doing a good job but I wish he'd put up interest rates. the people that caused our problems "borrowers" are being rewarded and those that "did the right thing" and saved are still picking up the tab.

Jeff

Jeff, I agree with the interest rate comment! My husband has no company pension plan so we have been investing in a Registered Retirement Savings Plan. It is comprised of stocks and bonds. Bond interest is abysmal and stocks are risky. With a hopeful retirement in September an interest rate increase would help with investment in less risky options. Carney's successor reduced the Bank of Canada interest rate in January to stave off the effects of drop in oil prices.

Are you both looking forward to retirement? What plans do you have?

Jeff

I retired early about 20 years ago after working with the national statistics agency here as an economic statistician. Federal government employment does nasty things to your pysche. So I am looking forward to my husband's retirement so that I can have a playmate. :) Not sure he is quite as keen. Sometimes one's identity becomes invested in what you do. We are hoping to travel more in retirement while we are both relatively healthy. We have a SS World Cruise booked for January 2016. God willing and the creek don't rise, we will get to take this dream trip.

That is so lovely. The world cruise sounds like such an adventure.

I understand the issue with feeling that your role becomes you, this happens to so many. They introduce themselves as "Hi i'm John, I'm a doctor" or whatever.

We've been somewhat lucky in that I have had several careers and the last my wife and I started a business together. So we feel we've always been together. Without her telling me to do it, we wouldn't have. Our challenge has been that we retired very early and have failed somewhat to find much purpose in retirement. There's outbreaks of purpose and we do a fair amount of travel. It sounds wonderful to have time and resources but boredom is also quite a curse that is difficult to cure.

Your husband will find the transition tough. It would be great if he could do it gradually ie reduce working days rather than go from work to retirement in one cut.

Jeff

Jeff

Yes Jeff, I think he will find it tough. He may explore options for contract work to keep him feeling productive. He loves golf so summers will allow him that pleasure. I hope to take up the game as well. My brief experience with the game happened eons ago in a high school gym class where we were given real golf clubs to use on a small patch of plastic "grass" in the gymnasium. Not a smart idea. I took a number of chunks out of the wooden gym floor. :(

Terry, I wonder whether you have been watching too many American films, all of which seem to us lowly Brits, that all invariably show that it was the US that single-handedly won WW2 and saved the world! I think to say that American saved Europe is a touch simplistic and perhaps unintentionally a little insensitive and unappreciative of ours and others efforts and sacrifices. :) Jeff

YES, Jeff, it is an "over-simplification" to claim that "the US that single-handedly won WW2 and saved the world!" We made a big, BIG difference in those battles. There was lots of sacrifice, including by the British, Russia, Canada, Australia, NZ and many others to make it ALL happen and for making victory happen. Hollywood does like to make films that do twist and under-play the huge sacrifices by the UK during both WWI and WWII. That's Hollywood!! They are "GUILTY" as charged.

My view and understanding is that . . . .

1. The UK was right on the edge trying to survive in 1940-41 against the Germans and their bombings,

2. U.S. supply and production capabilities was extremely important in 1940-45 to turn the tide against the Axis powers,

3. Germany made a big error in going after Russia in June 1941 BEFORE they had finished business against England. Japan bombing Pearl Harbor in December 1941 definitely tipped the balance by getting the U.S. officially involved.

As I might have mentioned earlier, we visited in 2006 the WWII War Rooms in London and really appreciated the major pressures facing England at the time, Churchill's amazing leadership during this period, etc. Sadly, millions and millions of lives were lost during that historic period. It was a true "World War" that involved such a large portion of globe. Today, it is hard to appreciate fully the wide extent of that war and how things really were "in the balance" for whether the good or bad side would ultimately win.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 108,455 views for this posting.

The version of history that we believe to be completely true is in reality very subjective, and skewed by where we learn it... I remember my Uncle dating a woman from the UK back in the '70s, around the time of our American bicentennial. Patriotism was running high and we were all proud of our founding fathers being such upstanding citizens, patriots, etc who took on the mighty British Empire and defeated them soundly... It was interesting to hear her take on the situation - she had learned that they were a bunch of traitors to the crown and England decided to not bother with them any more, so King George cut them loose and let them think that they had won!

On to less weighty subjects! We cooked our favorite shrimp on the grill recipe today, the one that I mentioned a few posts back. Here's the base of the Charmoula sauce starting to simmer on the grill - red onion, red pepper, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and garlic starting to sizzle in olive oil:

upload_-1.jpg

And the shrimp have cooked halfway through.

upload_-1.jpg

I cook them just long enough to get grill marks, then they go into the sauce to finish cooking:

upload_-1.jpg

A splash of lemon juice and some chopped cilantro at the end add more flavor, then it's all served over Jasmine rice:

upload_-1.jpg

One of the cats isn't particularly upset to be left out of the party; she was happy to lie in the sun!

upload_-1.jpg

But our other cat is expecting a handout!

upload_-1.jpg

Hope everyone's Memorial Day was great. I spent yesterday at the Hospital, so I had today off. Only a few more sleeps until we leave for the safari!

JP,

lovely to see those food piccies. I liked the shrimp and the final assembly. Just a small picky point. The rice. I will say this only once. Zojirushi. ;)

I've met many Americans who discuss the issues you discuss. I think one of the things that isn't fully appreciated is what it is what it is like to be brought up in a place where everything around you has been bombed to below ground level level. Americans have not lived in a country that has had it's industrial and town areas flattened - more than once. To have hundreds of years of invasion and change. To not only be bombed in recent times by those that objected to recent invasions .... the USA has also experienced that one .... but also by other parts of the United Kingdom some of them even financed by Americans who consider themselves Irish.

I was a product of the 1950s. When I left my front door in what is now called Barbican in central London, there were only bomb sites. I played on bomb sites. I could walk from my home to near enough the Thames passing only through bomb sites. I think that makes the British - or in this case the English sometimes feel that others don't really understand what war on your home ground is really like. So your observations are correct. :)

Now about that cat. I'm not a cat person, but I like that ©attitude.

I know you are a medical person and you will know you shouldn't bottle things up. So may I just say that I am a little miffed that you stayed away and said nothing about that pizza crust. I waited, but no strokes from JP about my crust. You must admit it was a king of pizza bases. My only error was I yanked the temperature to over 1000 and there was a little flash of flour flame. But the crust was special.

Just sayin' .....

:)

Jeff

JP,

lovely to see those food piccies. I liked the shrimp and the final assembly. Just a small picky point. The rice. I will say this only once. Zojirushi. ;)

I've met many Americans who discuss the issues you discuss. I think one of the things that isn't fully appreciated is what it is what it is like to be brought up in a place where everything around you has been bombed to below ground level level. Americans have not lived in a country that has had it's industrial and town areas flattened - more than once. To have hundreds of years of invasion and change. To not only be bombed in recent times by those that objected to recent invasions .... the USA has also experienced that one .... but also by other parts of the United Kingdom some of them even financed by Americans who consider themselves Irish.

I was a product of the 1950s. When I left my front door in what is now called Barbican in central London, there were only bomb sites. I played on bomb sites. I could walk from my home to near enough the Thames passing only through bomb sites. I think that makes the British - or in this case the English sometimes feel that others don't really understand what war on your home ground is really like. So your observations are correct. :)

Now about that cat. I'm not a cat person, but I like that ©attitude.

I know you are a medical person and you will know you shouldn't bottle things up. So may I just say that I am a little miffed that you stayed away and said nothing about that pizza crust. I waited, but no strokes from JP about my crust. You must admit it was a king of pizza bases. My only error was I yanked the temperature to over 1000 and there was a little flash of flour flame. But the crust was special.

Just sayin' .....

Jeff

Yes, I was remiss with not commenting about the pizza crust. The bubbles / blisters in the crust look delicious! Those are Chris' favorite part... I think the thread was all over the place at that point, between the Euro vision event, the thread about wheelchair pushing, and lots of other stuff. So forgive me for not saying anything.

One of the things that stayed with me from our first visit to London was seeing the sphinxes along the Thames, near Cleopatra's needle. They still have scars from bombings that took place in WWI. That, if nothing else, brought home for me the reality of what happened then. I know that's a far cry from having lived through it, but it's enough for me!

Just remember JP, that in the same way that you always remember to tell Chris that she looks wonderful .... and she always does by the way ... you must remember my pizza crusts.:)

It's really strange that whatever I cook, it's the bread that anchors you to the earth.

On the wider stuff, I think it's difficult to find a group that hasn't declared war or invaded or tried to invade us poor English. The French, Germans, Flems, Spanish, Scandinavians ... we even had the Scots try. Now with the EU, many feel we have offered an open invitation ...

And the amount of time us Europeans have spent reassuring you lot, that Europe is a safe palce to be at odd times ....;)

This thread at least shows that anything can be said without explosions. Elsewhere, smoking, caviar, walkers, ....well everything is off limits.

That at least shows that a bit of humour goes a long way.

During those moments after some Torres, I think about a Coolers table for a bit of congeniality.

We've been invited to take the inaugural BA flight from Heathrow to Salzburg in December .... so it's hopefully Christmas markets and maybe snow. And the following week it's foam snow in boiling hot Singapore. What a contrast.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I like the bread anchor image. Conjures up steadfast and rock.

What's not to like about bread. The smell of it baking in the oven. The butter melting into the crevices of hot bread. Dipping it in EVO, smearing it with hazelnut spread, cream cheese, garlic butter...using it to butter a fresh ear of corn.

Whole wheat, crunchy, thin, crusts, dark, white and in between. Studded with nuts, fruits, grains...

Sopping up delicious sauces.

Torn, cut, sliced, diced...

An entire loaf with an egg wash, twisted, braided, shaped long or short, pizza thin or thick...

Talking about earth food. Today's offering to wifey reminded me of my Soho club days when I understood too little about the kitchen so resorted to risotto. I use to ask chefs applying for a job to cook two things before I'd talk to them. An omelette and a risotto. You can understand 90% of what you need to know about a chef by having him cook you these two things.

Today I made wifey a wild mushroom risotto with truffle oil and sourdough.

327D7F7F-3BF0-4748-B862-4A9DD75A3728.jpg

The version of history that we believe to be completely true is in reality very subjective, and skewed by where we learn it... It was interesting to hear her take on the situation - she had learned that they were a bunch of traitors to the crown and England decided to not bother with them any more, so King George cut them loose and let them think that they had won!

Only a few more sleeps until we leave for the safari!

UKCruiseJeff: I've met many Americans who discuss the issues you discuss. I think one of the things that isn't fully appreciated is what it is what it is like to be brought up in a place where everything around you has been bombed to below ground level level. Americans have not lived in a country that has had it's industrial and town areas flattened - more than once. To have hundreds of years of invasion and change. To not only be bombed in recent times by those that objected to recent invasions .... the USA has also experienced that one .... but also by other parts of the United Kingdom some of them even financed by Americans who consider themselves Irish.

I think it's difficult to find a group that hasn't declared war or invaded or tried to invade us poor English. The French' date=' Germans, Flems, Spanish, Scandinavians ... we even had the Scots try. Now with the EU, many feel we have offered an open invitation ... And the amount of time us Europeans have spent reassuring you lot, that Europe is a safe palce to be at odd times ....;) This thread at least shows that anything can be said without explosions. Jeff[/quote']

Appreciate these added items of info and background on the UK, Europe, etc. Yes, I have followed lots of the varied and twisted histories in and around Europe. It has been a long, long period of wars, battles, invasions, etc. Going back to the Romans and Vikings, etc., etc., the histories on warfare are long and bloody. Yes, had kind of forgot about the dark period involving the Irish battles. Ireland has its views of history against the Brits and view "it" very differently. Won't go there on that debate, but I know the two sides and varied perspectives.

From JP, that "King George cut us loose and let us think we had won" "spin" is a first for me to hear and very unique in its approach. By normal military logic, we did not have the resources to win against the Brits at that time, but we did!!! Our July 4th, Independence Day, is a great holiday here for us in the U.S.!!!

Look forward to hearing more from JP about your Africa adventures. Want lots of pictures and details!! Good luck!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 178,280 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Today's offering to wifey reminded me of my Soho club days when I understood too little about the kitchen so resorted to risotto. I use to ask chefs applying for a job to cook two things before I'd talk to them. An omelette and a risotto. You can understand 90% of what you need to know about a chef by having him cook you these two things. Today I made wifey a wild mushroom risotto with truffle oil and sourdough.

YES, the risotto looks super great. Personally, I like risotto with meat or seafood being in it. Can I order for later this week a shrimp risotto?? Keep up the posting of great food pictures. Makes me hungry!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 108,521 views for this posting.

Thanks Terry,

As with pizza toppings, and pasta sauce ..... so it is with risotto. Less is more I promise you.

It is all about the dough base or the pasta or the grain. Anything that detracts from the grain of arborio is a distraction.

Totally agree about the pizza dough base Jeff! My husband makes our weekly Friday night pizza and he experimented for a long while to perfect the dough. We sip gin martinis while he works his magic. My favourite is a crab and artichoke pizza. Yummy!

Totally agree about the pizza dough base Jeff! My husband makes our weekly Friday night pizza and he experimented for a long while to perfect the dough. We sip gin martinis while he works his magic. My favourite is a crab and artichoke pizza. Yummy!

It's lovely to hear your husband makes you pizza.

Encourage him to make a poolish / biga and to really let that dough mature to a sort of sourdough. I keep balls in the fridge and often use them up to a couple of weeks old. I think the oldest has been nearly four weeks.

In Naples lunch time pizza is more prized because it is always yesterday's dough ... and that would be a sourdough. It is no extra trouble to make the dough earlier than you need it and retard it and let it mature much longer. Evening dough is often same day dough.

You never know, you may become more interested in the dough than the topping ....just like JP's wife Chris and wifey and me.

Jeff

Thanks for the tips Jeff! I will pass them on. :) My husband is a much better cook than I am. I plod along and make edible meals but his always seem more inspired and definitely tastier! Cooking is not my forte. He married me for my sense of humour. :)