Which would you choose for beach and snorkel

2toSea

West Bay, West End, Tabayana (sp) Maya Key, other options.

Maya Key gets raves for the snorkeling off the end of the pier, by the drop off.

West Bay has the well reviewed shore snorkeling. (Tabyana is just the far left stretch of sand at West Bay)

Bill

thanks, Last time we were there we kidnapped a guy with a car. He took us to a zoo and a nice beach with bar , massage and restaurant. Wife says it was Westend I say West Bay.

I haven't seen a bad qualified bad review on anything Roatan.

Also; Looking at little French key.

Is Maya Key booked through ship excursions only?

Did you like west bay?

Roatan is the only port of call we are really digging for. Might not get off the ship in Belize depending on weather. Grand Cayman we already made plans with friends that live there. Cozumel, well that's just Cozumel. Might by Kahlua and vanilla extract.

West Bay would have been more of a hotel/resort beach bar, except for Tabayana. West End would have those but also a a cluster of shops around.

Maya Key is now only bookable via ship excursions.

But West Bay has some very nice shore snorkeling and there are guys in small crafts that'll take you off shore to other areas of the reef, including up to West End. Little French Key and Club Natale will both be quieter with good snorkeling just off shore at a reef and nice, smaller beaches. These two are easier to get to from Mahogany Bay as they are closer and on the eastern side. West Bay beaches are closer to Coxen Hole. As you are on the Carnival Liberty, you will most likely be in Mahogany Bay, unless tides and weather prevent the ship from backing in.

If you want to know about any of these (West Bay, Maya Key, or Little French Key) I have been to them all. I have reviews listed in my signature line that you can click on (make sure you look at the posting number for the review because some peoples "settings" on here are different and may vary).

We LOVED Maya Key for snorkeling and yes, it can only be booked by cruise ship now, but still worth it. The snorkeling there is simply amazing!!! I would go there again in a heartbeat. (I do know that the price also varies depending on which cruise line you are on. Carnival charges more than NCL to go there).

Little French Key is simply HEAVEN! Like seriously! I have never seen anything more beautiful. I would go back here in a heart beat as well. You can't go wrong with the beauty here.

What ever you decide, have fun and Roatan is my favorite port now because of the wonderful places you can go there.:)

Mitsugirly, I actually just spent the last week reading all your reviews. Lol. I'm going in November on Carnival Legend.

What about Tabyana vs Maya Key for snorkeling? I know the day you were at Tabyana, the water was cloudy, but do you think it had potential to be better than Maya Key if the water had been better?

I took a cruise to Roatan 13 years ago (my high school graduation trip) and the excursion took us across the island to a what I'm now thinking was probably Tabyana and it was the best snorkeling I've ever seen!! Of course, I'm sure after 13 years of tourism, it's not in as good of shape anymore.

I'm trying to decide what to do when we go in November. I chose this cruise specifically to go back to Roatan and snorkel again.

Mitsugirly, I actually just spent the last week reading all your reviews. Lol. I'm going in November on Carnival Legend.

What about Tabyana vs Maya Key for snorkeling? I know the day you were at Tabyana, the water was cloudy, but do you think it had potential to be better than Maya Key if the water had been better?

I took a cruise to Roatan 13 years ago (my high school graduation trip) and the excursion took us across the island to a what I'm now thinking was probably Tabyana and it was the best snorkeling I've ever seen!! Of course, I'm sure after 13 years of tourism, it's not in as good of shape anymore.

I'm trying to decide what to do when we go in November. I chose this cruise specifically to go back to Roatan and snorkel again.

Well, the snorkeling was good at West Bay of course, that's why everyone goes there. But, (JMO) I just think it's "easier" at Maya Key because the path is marked for you...so no guess work as to "where" you are going or getting lost or how to make it out to the "big blue drop off" and there's even guides there if you want them to take you. West Bay is full of snorkeling, but to try to find your way to the kidney and down the path without getting lost or being shown or getting yourself into an area that's hard to get out...well to me, it's just too much work. :eek: I honestly think it's the same effect...you see tons of sea life, coral and you make it to the drop off which is amazing. Had I been able to make it to the kidney, I really think the entire experience would have been the same. I chose Maya Key not only because of the great snorkeling, but everything else there is there to do as well. It kinda gives you a break in between the snorkeling. Also, everyone always talks about what a nice beach West Bay is, to me, it just looks like any other beach that is miles long and has different hotels lined up and down it. I didn't see anything special about the beach itself. But that's just my opinion and I'm comparing it to other beaches I have been to that are breath taking along with good snorkeling. :)

Whatever you decide to do, I think you'll enjoy yourself. Or...you could go to one place this time around and schedule yourself for another cruise and do the other place that time. The best of both worlds. :D

As for the health of the reef at West Bay - it is still in very good shape !

They are trying very hard to make sure this wonderful area STAYS wonderful. Of course there will be tourists who touch, stand on or kick the reef...... too many of them don't really know how to snorkel and are not really comfortable in the water. But for the most part those who visit know not to do this.

We have been back twice since our initial cruise visit - both times for a week stay at Infinity Bay on West Bay. We are divers and have dove all over the world...... and this is our new favorite place --- gorgeous !

Here is a link for a view - see pic # 8 (aerial view of the reef)

http://www.infinitybay.com/modules/photo_gallery/category/Resort#

Enjoy Roatan - it is special :D

Of course there will be tourists who touch, stand on or kick the reef...... too many of them don't really know how to snorkel and are not really comfortable in the water. But for the most part those who visit know not to do this.

Touching the reef doesn't just kill it, it will BURN you! :eek: Much of it is Fire Coral, and killing it will make you sorry! :p

Touching the reef doesn't just kill it, it will BURN you! :eek: Much of it is Fire Coral, and killing it will make you sorry! :p

Yeah well - that too !!!! Altho you don't hear much about that happening on West Bay....... as divers we always wear a wet suit (winter) or at least a skin (summer) but most snorkelers do not. Snorkeler beware :eek:

Archived