Antarctica and photos

Thecat123

I am wondering if one would be able to beg, borrow or steal any photos as Seabourne will have Digital Photography workshops on these Antarctica sailings making me think Seabourne will have these professional photographers on board with their real good cameras who seem to get all the good shots

Other cruises we have been on one was able to get a DVD of the cruise and I was wondering if we could do the same with Seabourne?

Cat

if you bring a few CDs and burner we'll be happy to share images if i get any beauties. (or a passport/portable drive)

We'll have 2 DSLR bodies, i'm contemplating whether to get a 3rd, plus taking possibly up to 5 various canon lenses to suit.

Most of my photography has been sport or underwater, but I have taken quite a few birds etc over time.

That would be a good idea

Do you know if Seaborne have put anything together on other cruises or aren't their ships large enough to carry the equipment to make DVDs like Princess, HAL etc?

I just thought it might save bringing a lot of camera gear

They don't tend to have ships Photography, most people wouldn't be keen on it, but this may well be different for Antarctica.

ie you don't get the boarding snap, or formal night photos etc

Nor was there any evidence of a videographer on our Cathy's palace trip.

I was hoping Seabourne might be putting a DVD together like their promotion one

There is a travel expo here tomorrow and I was thinking of going to see what I could find out but its raining in Auckland again. I hope a few CC people are going on the first couple of cruises to get some feed back

I am on the Jan 4 sailing from Buenos Aires and I am especially looking forward to the digital photography workshops and the opportunity to test any new skills in the Antarctic. Thinking of upgrading at least one of my lenses for the occasion. Naturally will post the best of them on here.

We went to that travel show today and asked Seabourne rep if they would be putting a DVD like their promo video clip together of the sailings. The rep said it would be a good idea and she is going to check for us. We also asked about the sizes of the clothes they were selling as to get a NZ standard size. Also talked to another tour operator about photos. He said a normal camera is his preferred camera as he just puts it in his pocket. In Africa one needs large zooms as the animals are always in the distant unlike Antarctica when the animals come up to you to check you out. With a zoom you wouldn't get many animal photos as they are too close.

Now I am really confused :)

We will be bringing our waterproof video camera with extra batteries and memory sticks

We went to that travel show today and asked Seabourne rep if they would be putting a DVD like their promo video clip together of the sailings. The rep said it would be a good idea and she is going to check for us. We also asked about the sizes of the clothes they were selling as to get a NZ standard size. Also talked to another tour operator about photos. He said a normal camera is his preferred camera as he just puts it in his pocket. In Africa one needs large zooms as the animals are always in the distant unlike Antarctica when the animals come up to you to check you out. With a zoom you wouldn't get many animal photos as they are too close.

Now I am really confused :)

We will be bringing our waterproof video camera with extra batteries and memory sticks

I am thinking a good wide angle might be a useful addition. I am looking at a 10-24mm to add to my 17-55mm. That might be helpful for capturing some of those Antarctic landscapes.

I have 10-22 which is invaluable. The number of times i have been able to shoot whole scenes at crowded places just by being able to be that bit closer is invaluable.

BTW you both realise you are sailing with kids ;-)

BTW you both realise you are sailing with kids ;-)

How many are you bringing MrsWaldo? :)

Are the old film type cameras any good these days for photos? My mother had lots of different types with all sorts of different lenses and I was wondering if I should get them checked out? I like just aim click

Also the man I was talking today said seasick pills should be on our list. He has been to Antarctica a dozen times and has had a few bumpy rides. If you don't take the pills he reckons it will be rough. Of all the cruises we have been on one wouldn't have known we were on a ship. Never seen a big wave

Two!

I hope that's Ok?

They will be 19 and 22.... it's UNI holidays , just past the grunting age (actually the 19yo is the driving force for this trip as well as being a VERY keen photographer)

I haven't used a film camera in ages..

Nowhere to get it processed and I can't be bothered setting up the dark room any more..

digital is so much more cost effective

TBH I still think my old film cameras have much better images, but ...

I have been mulling over the anti seasickness. Having done the North Sea in huge swells at 12m I should be OK, but an ounce of prevention. I think I'll ask the GP about patches... my only concern is that I haven't used tem before and they can have side effects

I've heard stories of beds requiring seat/bed belts etc..

They aren't kids anymore. :)

I never thought about getting films developed

I am over thinking this photo thing.

I should hear back from our Seabourne rep in a few days to see if they are doing anything. It would be really good if they do put a DVD of the cruise though

LOL,

read the children thread ;) U21s are kids

Yeah, it's a much harder trip to plan, photos, clothes, accom, flights.

That's been a real challenge...

I'm fairly well travelled and after this I just need to tick off Africa,

I've done really odd places like Nepal and Eastern bloc and they fell together much more easily

Plus in the past it has been 4 (Mr W and I plus the kids) or just Mr W and I. 3 is really hard

So, are you both (both groups) on the Jan 4 sailing?

For me, in many respects, organising this trip has been fairly easy. Flights were straightforward, easy to book and cheap and we are using Seabourn for the hotels and transfers for the first time. It turned out, for once, that these were competitively priced when we started looking at what it would cost us to do the same on our own.

And New Years eve on an airplane will not be all that different to being at home. Eat too much, drink too much and fall asleep.

The main issue is packing for a wider range of weather than usual. After all, we will be going from sub-tropical to the Antarctic summer and back. But that is just a question of volume rather than complexity. And the seasick pills are a good idea. I am not usually prone unless we are corkscrewing violently but you never know.

Incidentally, I do not consider 19 & 22 to be kids. Young, certainly, but not children. And, at that age, they can be invaluable on a trivia team :)

Yes

We are all on Jan 4...

and yes at that age they are good for trivia! :D:D Plus one is physics science based and sports mad, the other is into the humanities esp ancient history and Russian History (although she is doing medical science at Uni)

I think being 3 has been the big hitch...

We fly out New Years Day (we gain a day) so no hard partying the night before

Yes

We are all on Jan 4...

and yes at that age they are good for trivia! :D:D Plus one is physics science based and sports mad, the other is into the humanities esp ancient history and Russian History (although she is doing medical science at Uni)

I think being 3 has been the big hitch...

We fly out New Years Day (we gain a day) so no hard partying the night before

We are staying at the Hyatt Palacio Duhuapark. We arrive on January 1st so three days to visit Buenos Aires then off to the Antarctic.

I'm not an old hand...

well not compared to most ;)

Now I'm a bit hmmmmm about accom.

We needed two rooms at the Hyatt, it was actually my preference but our flight costs were a killer. It was more expensive to go cattle than we paid to go business class to Europe in July.

I was also very reluctant to book through SB as we stayed at the Grand in Stockholm (I booked myself) and it was a zoo at checkout/check in when the ship arrived and departed as people seemed to overlap and the front desk struggled.

We actually had an amusing moment with a women demanding her room at 10.00am and the poor guy trying to explain there was nothing yet available as people were booked on the next cruise and had not yet left. She kept saying, but you don;t understand, I've, just come off the cruise and I would like to freshen up and rest before going out.

Archived