Antarctica and photos

Thecat123

Lan and Qantas were the same price. I wasn't springing for business as this trip wasn't planned at all in the budget. It was very much spur of the moment. By the time i booked business class for all of them was $6000-$8000+ After paying $3200 each for Europe business, i couldn't see the value. The fact that I'm used to 14 hour flights too I suppose makes a difference.

I'm using Q because status gives me lounge access etc and a possible upgrade. They've done this before, usually onboard, and it works well because the others get a spare seat between them.

I DIY, we had a fantastic TA for ages, but a while back the quality of the wholesalers dropped, they had rooms beside the lifts only and we seemed to continually getting the worst rooms, despite having status with the hotel chains etc.

The straw that broke the camel's back was a transfer in Hong Kong which he had in writing that our particular unusual piece of luggage would fit, when we arrived they said "No" and refused to take us until we kicked up a stink and agreed we would go in the communal shuttle bus.

This had come after we had requested transfer flights to an island at a specific time, even had the paperwork, and when we turned up at the terminal we had been moved to a flight 4 hours later and not been told, the wholesaler had the info and didn't pass it on.

I'm not good on tours unless they are 1:1 so we'll DIY, although the pre cruise package to Iguazu was tempting.

I like to just wander, although I'm not sure how practical that is in BA

.....I like to just wander, although I'm not sure how practical that is in BA

We did quite a bit of "wandering" in BA and always felt safe. We always carried a plastic bag so as we looked like a local shopper, and, as most of the roads are one-way, walked in the opposite direction to the traffic.

I hope you all have a fabulous trip.

Lan and Qantas were the same price. I wasn't springing for business as this trip wasn't planned at all in the budget. It was very much spur of the moment. By the time i booked business class for all of them was $6000-$8000+ After paying $3200 each for Europe business, i couldn't see the value. The fact that I'm used to 14 hour flights too I suppose makes a difference.

I'm using Q because status gives me lounge access etc and a possible upgrade. They've done this before, usually onboard, and it works well because the others get a spare seat between them.

I DIY, we had a fantastic TA for ages, but a while back the quality of the wholesalers dropped, they had rooms beside the lifts only and we seemed to continually getting the worst rooms, despite having status with the hotel chains etc.

The straw that broke the camel's back was a transfer in Hong Kong which he had in writing that our particular unusual piece of luggage would fit, when we arrived they said "No" and refused to take us until we kicked up a stink and agreed we would go in the communal shuttle bus.

This had come after we had requested transfer flights to an island at a specific time, even had the paperwork, and when we turned up at the terminal we had been moved to a flight 4 hours later and not been told, the wholesaler had the info and didn't pass it on.

I'm not good on tours unless they are 1:1 so we'll DIY, although the pre cruise package to Iguazu was tempting.

I like to just wander, although I'm not sure how practical that is in BA

We found flights from the USA to be very cheap. Phoenix to BA in first class and back from Santiago in business class for just $4200 each. A lot cheaper than getting to New Zealand last year.

We will see how good the hotel and transfer arrangements are. But Wripro's endorsement augurs well.

The other good news, for us, is that BA is pretty much in the same time zone, So not too much jet lag I hope.

Obviously looking forward to Antarctica but also very much looking forward to the Falklands.

At least we Kiwis get into Argentina for free. We don't need to pay for a visa :)

We are now leaving here a day earlier on the 30th Dec instead of New Years eve in case of any hickups so we should be at BA for New years eve TA didn't tell me which hotel we are going to be in even though I asked. He is changing the one he originally booked

At least we Kiwis get into Argentina for free. We don't need to pay for a visa :)

We are now leaving here a day earlier on the 30th Dec instead of New Years eve in case of any hickups so we should be at BA for New years eve TA didn't tell me which hotel we are going to be in even though I asked. He is changing the one he originally booked

US & UK citizens don't need a visa either. But US citizens have to pay a 'reciprocity fee' of $160. Does anyone know if this is each time you enter Argentina .... i.e. at the airport and again when the ship calls at Usuhaia?

Is this new? We have friends who went to Argentina last year for a Regent cruise and the complained about having to send their passports away for a month well in advance of their trip to get their visa.

Don't know if it is new or not but this is what the embassy site says:

Reciprocity fee for US citizens

U.S. citizens visiting Argentina for tourism or business must pay a "reciprocity fee" of US$ 160. This "reciprocity fee" is not a visa, given that U.S. citizens do not require a visa when visiting Argentina. This amount is equivalent to what Argentines must pay when requesting a visa to enter the United States.

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassyofargentina.us/en/consularsection/news.htm

Thanks -- not sure why they went to all of that trouble if it was not necessary.And I hope that along with your photos you post a full review when you return as we are looking at this trip for 2015.

The photos are a given. Will try to put a review together as well.

Am loving reading this thread as it relates to good information about our upcoming cruise to the Antartica, albeit we are on the December 11 and off Jan. 4.

Upon our return on September 14 from our Spirit cruise, I guess I had better get on the ball and order my gear - parka, boots etc. and start to plan. We did make our hotel reservations with Seabourn's pre package for two nights at Santiago's Ritz Carlton, including pick up at airport and drive to Valpariso to board the Quest. Actually their business air, and hotel were reasonable. We made reservations through our travel consortium for the Alvear Palace for two nights at the completion. Looking forward to this journey and experiencing holidays on board as we are usually at home with family and friends.

Now i have to relearn our cameras, setting etc upon return and really appreciate the advise too about the batteries.

Thank you for the information you all share.

(Roxburgh, may I ask you an off topic question about the new Kimpton Amara Hotel in Sedona? We are thinking of spending two nights over New Years there with a lovely Swiss friend we met on SB who is flying in to spend Christmas and New Years with us before heading to LA for the world cruise. Does it seem like an ok place ?And we were thinking of having New Years dinner at L'Auberge unless you have a better suggestion.)

(Roxburgh, may I ask you an off topic question about the new Kimpton Amara Hotel in Sedona? We are thinking of spending two nights over New Years there with a lovely Swiss friend we met on SB who is flying in to spend Christmas and New Years with us before heading to LA for the world cruise. Does it seem like an ok place ?And we were thinking of having New Years dinner at L'Auberge unless you have a better suggestion.)

Honestly, I don't know how good (or bad) the Kimpton Amara is. Because we live in Sedona, we never use the hotels. As far as dinner is concerned, I have never heard anything bad about L'Auberge. But I have only been there for Brunch which is outstanding.

Not a very definitive comment I'm afraid. Truth is, we don't eat out all that much when we are home. My better half likes to cook and we like to open a bottle of wine. And I don't drive if I have been drinking.

Am loving reading this thread as it relates to good information about our upcoming cruise to the Antartica, albeit we are on the December 11 and off Jan. 4.

Upon our return on September 14 from our Spirit cruise, I guess I had better get on the ball and order my gear - parka, boots etc. and start to plan. We did make our hotel reservations with Seabourn's pre package for two nights at Santiago's Ritz Carlton, including pick up at airport and drive to Valpariso to board the Quest. Actually their business air, and hotel were reasonable. We made reservations through our travel consortium for the Alvear Palace for two nights at the completion. Looking forward to this journey and experiencing holidays on board as we are usually at home with family and friends.

Now i have to relearn our cameras, setting etc upon return and really appreciate the advise too about the batteries.

Thank you for the information you all share.

Just a couple of comments ....

I think Seabourn give us a free parka. I am in two minds over this as I have a very good (and rather expensive) ski jacket which has been tried and tested in very demanding conditions. So, my instinct is to go for what I know although it could be overkill if the weather is decent.

Second comment .... as you are on the cruise before us, please don't drink the ship dry. My wife would never forgive you :D

Agree on the Seabourn hotel/transfer package. I think this is the first time I have seen them be really competitive.

Roxburgh,

Thank you for your comments -- I too am often at a loss when people inquire about Tucson's resorts -- all I can usually comment on is the location.Think we will proceed. And I quite agree -- don't like to have more than a glass or two at dinner when I am driving. Isn't that one of the nicest things about Seabourn.

And you are quite right about the fares to BA and Santiago -- I just checked them for January -- approximately $3000 business class on United. That will certainly help compensate for the price of the cruise.

Roxburgh,

Passengers are given free parkas. The information packs including sizes

were sent out from SB ages ago. Because of safety implications you do

have to wear what is offered. All passengers ashore are easily identified.

kind regards

Tony

By the time i booked business class for all of them was $6000-$8000+ After paying $3200 each for Europe business, i couldn't see the value. The fact that I'm used to 14 hour flights too I suppose makes a difference.

Mrs Waldo, can you tell me who you flew with to Europe for $3200 Business? That price sounds amazing!

Roxburgh,

Because of safety implications you do

have to wear what is offered. All passengers ashore are easily identified.

kind regards

Tony

I thought that might be the case. I haven't got an infor pack yet, but then I only booked in mid July :eek:

I think I might email and find out about the pre package just in case they have something a little better. It wasn't offered when I booked :(

I've been doing well clothing wise. Local ski shop had a huge sale, so I got another pair of waterproof snow pants, 2 pair socks, head bands, goggles (not sure i need these but at $10) 2 more sets of thermals ( 2 people), for $100.

Waldo JR is hardest to buy for as they don't seem to make mens gear in his size and the kids stuff isn't the same quality. I almost bought him female thermals!

I'm still working out what to get as second layer bottoms :(

And of course what to pack to wear on the ship when we are not on ice.

Mrs Waldo, can you tell me who you flew with to Europe for $3200 Business? That price sounds amazing!

I booked through Finnair. that meant Cathay from Sydney then linked up to Finnair in HK. The same flights booked through Qantas were $7000 and through Cathay were $5000 so it was just a matter of trawling through different web sites. The sites comparisons like Kayak didn't show the price variations.

I was reasonably pleased, and while it wasn't Qantas it was a "lay flat" bed and had great service the whole way. Cathay was better than Qantas.

Things went pear shaped in Copenhagen so they moved us onto Lufthansa (yep I know not one world) and then to Singapore Airlines at the last minute. I appreciated that as we would have missed the connection in HK and gotten home 2 days late.

Cathay IMHO had much better service than Singapore and Finnair better service than Lufthansa (by a long way). in fact Singapore's was the worst service of all which shocked me. Their beds are great, but the food was shocking and they ran out of everything. I had no choice for my main. Breakfast before Sydney was a few slices of fruit.

I booked the flights almost 7 months before. i think they were part of an early bird to Europe deal.

we have also done the Thai to Bangkok and Austrian to Europe at a pretty good price, but of course that was just before the riots, so coming home was a bit of a nightmare. Bangkok airport was closed so had to do the milk run from Budapest, Lufthansa, Singapore, Emirates. We are NOT fans of Qantas and only use them if we have points to get rid of. I also book a long time ahead so will look more for "early bird" prices next time.

Archived