Passion Island-need advice *sigh*

mitsugirly

I have always wanted to go to Passion Island (Isla Pasion) for years, but something has always stopped me and I picked another place that was closer by for some reason. I'm looking into it once again and need some answers and advice from you wonderful people here that have been there.

My "personal" questions:

I know that a lot of people go by the "Twister", but this is only offered by Carnival (I think) and not by NCL (which is how we'll be coming). I have seen others mention (on TA) that they came by catamaran or power boat) and was wondering how they did this? I remember reading that you can take a taxi (or bus) by land and then get on the boat to hop over to the island, but it seems like it would be quicker by boat and was just wondering how you do this?

What's the best place to use for booking this excursion? I honestly can't tell by several sites online that I have found to book if it actually INCLUDES the transportation FROM THE PORT or if this transportation is only from the land over to the island and you have to find your own transportation there. :confused:

What all is included? I know they are supposed to have water toys and kayaks I believe, is this included in the price?

Now on to things I have been reading on TA:

There seem to be SO MANY mixed reviews on this place and it worries me. I mean from one end of the spectrum to the other! I know everyone has different perspectives on what they call nice or good food, but these are just so off from one another.

Some recent reviews include that it was THE BEST day ever. The water is beautiful, the staff is terrific, the food is good, the beach is amazing. Best day of their cruise ports. Pure white and soft sand.

Then you get reviews that state this:

*" we were greeted by a free buffet filled with flies and roaches. The food looked like it was sitting their for at least 3 hours. Then it was time to go to the beach of seaweed. I had to swim about 30 feet out on my stomach to make sure I would not get stuck in seaweed."

*"The "free" buffet is, frankly, disgusting. Upon our arrival, we found a dining hut filled with dirty tables, a depleted buffet line (lacking even clean silverware)"

*" the water was green and filled with sea weed.

*"The tables were very dirty and some of the plastic chairs were broken, The food was alright, but the utensils were not clean"

For the most part, most of the reviews seem to be good, but it's a few that just mention the buffet and the dirtiness that gets me.

Also, I have seen tons of pictures posted online and on TA and they have all shown a beautiful beach and beautiful water. So, where is this seaweed and green water at then?

The last thing is A LOT of people mention that this place starts hounding you for tips a) on the ride there b) once you are there c) at the buffet table d) at the bars e) in the shops f) all around the beach g) on the ride back...it's non-stop hounding for tips. Now it's one thing to have a tip can out for tips, but you start hounding me non-stop for a tip my entire day and I can guarantee you won't get any more than what you charged me for the excursion if you ruin my day with that crap. :mad: So is this true for those of you that have been?

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback you can give me and I would REALLY love if someone from NCL that has done this excursion let me know how you did it.

We have been twice, once with Carnival and once with Royal,by power catamaran, not really a catamaran, but a nice 40 min ride each way from the pier.We enjoyed it both times , and the food and drinks were good. We do not really go in the water. My signature photo shows us on the power cat..It is more difficult to book an independent tour there now, but if you do you will take a bus ride to the east end, and then a short boat ride.

SANY1711.jpg

how do i print screen

SANY2026.jpg

screenshot on pc

Centex, I just did a search on Passion Island and went back as far as 2004 trying to get more info and pictures. :eek: I see your 2 pictures on everything posted...please tell me you have more pictures than these 2. :D Share! :)

We never experienced any of the negative factors that you mentioned. The food area was very clean the times we were there. Once the water was a little stirred up due to wind.

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/passion-island-cozumel.html

SANY1724.jpg

image hosting flickr

SANY1734.jpg

print screen windows[/

SANY2023.jpg

how to print screen on pc

Edited by CENTEX CRUISER

I am really struggling with this excursion. :(

I have searched everywhere and I'm finding several different tour operators that offer an excursion here. However, I'm only finding 1 (I think) that offers a FULL excursion, meaning they actually pick you up outside the pier and take you to the boat dock and then over to the island and back to the pier when done. Everyone else makes you get your own taxi TO the boat dock to go over to the island. :rolleyes:

When I spoke to one of the excursion places, they told me that a taxi 1 way for 3 people would cost about $25. So you are talking $50 in just taxi fees. Their excursion price is $45 for adults and $30 for a child. ($170 total for the day)

The only place I found that I believe has full transportation is $65 for adults and $40 for children. So of course it's only $15 extra a person to include the taxi. ($170 also total).

So, wouldn't it be best to get the excursion that does it all if it's going to cost the same amount? That way you know you have rides waiting on you to and from, from beginning to end?

Has anyone ever used "This is cozumel" for an excursion? Or especially for THIS excursion?

I really want to go here but something about it (maybe the distance???) is just freaking me out for some reason. I hate that there isn't going to be much "time" here because of the traveling time to get back and forth, but for some reason I'm thinking this is a "must see" place for me. :o

I can assure you that you will enjoy PI.. I really think in your case you should do the tour through the ship, stop worrying, and enjoy, especially if the price is working out close to the same. And, Lord forbid, if there was a problem, the ship will wait for you...

I can assure you that you will enjoy PI.. I really think in your case you should do the tour through the ship, stop worrying, and enjoy, especially if the price is working out close to the same. And, Lord forbid, if there was a problem, the ship will wait for you...

That's the problem Centex, there ISN'T a tour with the ship to Passion Island and I'm having to do it on my own. At this point, if there was a ship tour, with the distance involved to get here, I would definitely be booking with the ship if they offered it. :)

I have always wanted to go to Passion Island on the Twister boat but it has never worked out on past cruises...this time it is! I am actually taking a ship excursion to do this (and out of ten cruises, I have never taken a ship excursion). I will be there Oct 2nd and I will try to notice or take pictures when we get off the ship to see what is available to book (if any) by local vendors and then I will post my findings when I return...hopefully that will help you!

Kathy

I have always wanted to go to Passion Island on the Twister boat but it has never worked out on past cruises...this time it is! I am actually taking a ship excursion to do this (and out of ten cruises' date=' I have never taken a ship excursion). I will be there Oct 2nd and I will try to notice or take pictures when we get off the ship to see what is available to book (if any) by local vendors and then I will post my findings when I return...hopefully that will help you!

Kathy[/quote']

Thanks, that would be great if you could see some names of those offering the excursion since we can't go by cruise ship. Maybe it will give me some type of idea. :)

My husband and I went there about ten years ago before we had kids. Absolutely the best day of the cruise and maybe ever! We loved the food and the water was crystal clear blue! No seaweed or trash to be found here when we went.

I'm sorry that I have no insight about who to book with, because we booked through Carnival. I understand your concerns about how long it takes to get there though. This is why we have been hesitant to return with kids. I remember taking a bumpy bus ride to get to the catamaran which took us to the island. I would love to return with the kids, but have been reluctant because I'm sure it takes at least 45 minutes to an hour to get there (at least the way we did it)

I'm going to try to find some photos for you. Just wanted to let you know that unless something has changed, I can't imagine the water not being gorgeous!

The one time we went there we found an independent tour with CWS. It won't let me post the direct link, but if you Google the terms Cozumel, Passion, Sports, Water, and Island (the order doesn't appear to matter), it's the first link that comes up.

Now, however, they no longer do this tour if you're coming on Carnival, but with NCL, you shouldn't have a problem. It included roundtrip transportation but not from the pier. Rather it was from the Punta Langosta Mall so we had to get a cab to and from this area which was around $7 each way if I remember right.

We enjoyed our time there, but probably wouldn't make the trek again. We didn't experience anything horrible like some of the things you described, but just felt there was more bang for the buck at a closer beach club. But I was happy to finally get to see this place and tell my friends back home that I was there where they filmed the Corona commercials! :D

My husband and I went there about ten years ago before we had kids. Absolutely the best day of the cruise and maybe ever! We loved the food and the water was crystal clear blue! No seaweed or trash to be found here when we went.

I'm sorry that I have no insight about who to book with, because we booked through Carnival. I understand your concerns about how long it takes to get there though. This is why we have been hesitant to return with kids. I remember taking a bumpy bus ride to get to the catamaran which took us to the island. I would love to return with the kids, but have been reluctant because I'm sure it takes at least 45 minutes to an hour to get there (at least the way we did it)

I'm going to try to find some photos for you. Just wanted to let you know that unless something has changed, I can't imagine the water not being gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures. My only reluctancy is the amount of time it takes to get there and back (although I have done tours that take up to an hour to get there with no problem, it's kind of nerving each time and it takes up so much of your time you get to spend on the island).

The one time we went there we found an independent tour with CWS. It won't let me post the direct link, but if you Google the terms Cozumel, Passion, Sports, Water, and Island (the order doesn't appear to matter), it's the first link that comes up.

Now, however, they no longer do this tour if you're coming on Carnival, but with NCL, you shouldn't have a problem. It included roundtrip transportation but not from the pier. Rather it was from the Punta Langosta Mall so we had to get a cab to and from this area which was around $7 each way if I remember right.

We enjoyed our time there, but probably wouldn't make the trek again. We didn't experience anything horrible like some of the things you described, but just felt there was more bang for the buck at a closer beach club. But I was happy to finally get to see this place and tell my friends back home that I was there where they filmed the Corona commercials! :D

Thanks for sharing and the place you used. I do have that place bookmarked in my files. The only thing I didn't like about them is that it's not full around transportation from beginning to end. You had mentioned that they picked you up at Punta Langosta "Mall". According to their site, you have to get a ride all the way to the boat pier that hops you over to the island (at least the way I'm reading it). So they must have changed things. :(

Thanks for sharing and the place you used. I do have that place bookmarked in my files. The only thing I didn't like about them is that it's not full around transportation from beginning to end. You had mentioned that they picked you up at Punta Langosta "Mall". According to their site, you have to get a ride all the way to the boat pier that hops you over to the island (at least the way I'm reading it). So they must have changed things.

Yes, they may very well have changed the transportation option. I was looking for that to see if they mentioned it but didn't see it. I wondered if maybe it finally told you after it was booked by including the meeting instructions.

We had to meet them outside of Carlos & Charlie's at the mall. It was a bit odd standing around waiting to see if anyone would show up. It wasn't like they had a kiosk or someone with a sign there waiting. Luckily the guy did show up and it worked out.

Hopefully you'll be able to find an option that works out! It's cool to experience it and we're glad we did.

Yes, they may very well have changed the transportation option. I was looking for that to see if they mentioned it but didn't see it. I wondered if maybe it finally told you after it was booked by including the meeting instructions.

We had to meet them outside of Carlos & Charlie's at the mall. It was a bit odd standing around waiting to see if anyone would show up. It wasn't like they had a kiosk or someone with a sign there waiting. Luckily the guy did show up and it worked out.

Hopefully you'll be able to find an option that works out! It's cool to experience it and we're glad we did.

From reading the website and also looking at the cheaper price involved using them, I'm pretty sure you have to find your own transportation to the actually boat pier now.

This is what it says:

Passion Island All Inclusive Beach Break Includes

• Water taxi round trip transportation to Passion Island

Usually when it includes transportation from beginning to end, it will say from the pier (or location close to the pier). Hmmm

We thought about going to Passion Island...had some friends who loved it....but the one thing they didnt like was the two hours it took to get there and back....when you considered all the time.....

I would much rather spend that time on the beach at a closer beach club....

We have done Nachi and Punta Sur...but will be doing Mr Sanchos in December because of the kids....

We thought about going to Passion Island...had some friends who loved it....but the one thing they didnt like was the two hours it took to get there and back....when you considered all the time.....

I would much rather spend that time on the beach at a closer beach club....

We have done Nachi and Punta Sur...but will be doing Mr Sanchos in December because of the kids....

Yea, that's my only concern at this time...the time it takes to get there eating up a lot of my day. :(

I think I just need to do a land based vacation here and visit them all in 1 shot. LOL :D

I did Pasion Island back in 2011 - yes, the excursion was thru Carnival, but, the description didn't tell you where it was - it just said something like "Beach Getaway" or something similar. Yes, the ride over and back took 45 minutes each way, but, it really didn't seem that long to us. We thought the buffet was good - it wasn't Mexican food as we kinda expected being in Mexico and all, but it was spaghetti, salad and bread. But they did have chips & guacamole, and it was the best guacamole I ever had! The water was crystal clear, the sand was powdery white, and you can certainly see why they film the Corona commercials there. Our fee included the boat ride over and back, all the food, all the drinks, chairs, hammocks, and wipeout style water toys. It was my son's graduation trip, and all the kids had a blast and so did the parents! Our boat actually did leave from one of the restaurants on the pier - it seemed like it was a "Fat Tuesday" type place? Maybe check with NCL and see if one of the "beach" excursions is actually Passion Island?

My dh and I have done this excursion to Passion Island 6 times. Ok...we love beaches and this is one of the nicest I have ever visited. I have no complaints about the food and drinks. I enjoyed the boat ride because it is so beautiful.