Transportation to Port Canaveral

Bgem75

Hi,

I have read your post and I am interested in the ' answers' or recommendations as well , because I am also looking for similar transportation from the MCO airport to the Port Canaveral area.

I just booked the Freedom of the Seas for Dec 1, 2013 and looked for different options ( of getting to the port ) including car rental , shared shuttles, Cocoa Beach hotels 'stay and fly' package.

We ( 2 people) are flying to MCO a day early before the cruise and the shuttle prices to Port Canaveral change depending on the time of using the shuttle ( Travelynx gave me a range of 30 to 50 p/p ).

I booked a car from Budget ( 52 dol ) and I / we will use Travelynx or Cocoa Beach Shuttle ( 30 dol p/p) for the transportation back to MCO after the cruise.

Wieslaw, what is your return locaton for Budget? I have a car from Thrifty that I have rented for a cruise around the same time and it is $109 for less than a 24hr rental from MCO there. Because they charge a $50 drop off fee. Want to check into yours.

Hi Nicole,

looks like Budget just lower the price for my dates - I just changed my reservation from MCO to Port Canaveral (8401 Astronaut Boulevard, Cape Canaveral, Fl 32920 ) using the Y937800 code, the price is 42.69.THE CODE FOR THIS LOCATION IS ZC5 . They did not charge the drop off fee.

I also made reservation for the return from the same location to MCO, using the same code and the price is 37.52,

I might use the shuttle for the return- not sure yet.

I used Trifty few years ago and at that time they did not charge the drop off fee. The Budget location is not far where Trifty is.

I think a rental car is typically a bit cheaper (if you have two or more in your group) and certainly more convenient. We have used Avis twice for transportation to/from Port Canaveral and save a few $$$ vs a shuttle service. There is no drop-off charge and Avis has a shuttle to take you to/from the port to their facility just down the road.

The following thread has a lot of rental info that includes discount codes that were still valid for Avis as of last October (10-13):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=558119

A rental car is especially nice when you fly in the day before a cruise. We don't usually keep a car more than 24 hours so it is a minimal charge and you have the convenience of being able to drive around to eat/shop at will.

Where the car came in really handy was on our flight down last October when we were notified our cruise was delayed 24 hours due to hurricane Sandy. It was easy to extend the rental at pick-up and because we had to find another hotel for the unexpected 2nd night the car came in very handy for transportation.

So, I am taking it most people that cruise out of port Canaveral rent a car...

We are looking to book the Freedom of the seas for December 1 and will look to fly in the day before.

For those that do one way rentals...

Where is the drop off in port Canaveral and is it near the port?

Any recommendations for hotels the night before.

I am so used to coming and going through Ft. Lauderdale, so we are trying to navigate getting to and from the ship.

I have never seen anything less expensive for transport of 2+ people from MCO to Port Canaveral or Tampa...about $60 for car, taxes, one-way fee and fuel for a full size (Camry, Altima) is typical. This is especially nice if you arrive the night before. You will have the use of the car for 24 hours for that price. In Port Canaveral, the closest rental place is Budget at about half mile from the terminal. Thrifty/Dollar is about 1.5 miles. Enterprise, Avis, Hertz, National all are just as close. They all offer free shuttles to the port. The shuttle ride from any of them is less than 10 minutes. Keep in mind though that the port makes all the shuttles from rental places, hotels, park and rides, taxis, limos, etc., wait in a line to get to the unload spot where the porters take luggage. My last trip we sat in the line for about 45 minutes. At least the shuttles are air conditioned. :) But make sure you factor that into your travel time regardless of what transport you take.

Those same shuttles pick up people at the end of the cruise if you care to rent a car for the return trip to MCO. The cost is still the same.

Archived