Have any of you ever experienced this? How did you handle it?

JimAOk1945

My wife is one of those people who loves taking pictures whenever we travel. My wife is very quiet and shy. She goes out of her way to be polite and stay out of the way of other people whether they are taking pictures or not.

On several occasions, she has experienced rude remarks from fellow cruisers while we were on shore excursions. I don't understand why people do this.

As an example, last December on an excursion in Jamaica, a man kept making rude remarks. At first we thought he was trying to be funny but it soon became apparent that he was making fun of her. We tried ignoring him but he wouldn't stop. I'm am usually a very easy going guy, but finally I had to say something.

I turned and very politely said, "I am glad my wife takes pictures. She is preserving all these fantastic places we have been to. As time goes by, memories begin to fade. We can relive the past through her pictures. She also posts her pictures on her website for others to enjoy." That put a stop to it and he kept his mouth shut.

Have any of you ever experienced this type of rude behavior? If so, how did you handle it?

I haven't been on the receiving end of boorish behavior like that. I also try to be as polite and innocuous as possible but I approach my photography as serious fun and my overall demeanor doesn't seem to invite open rudeness. :D

I think you handled it as well as could be expected. Never let the enemies of fun spoil yours!

Happy shooting!

Dave

I haven't been on the receiving end of boorish behavior like that. I also try to be as polite and innocuous as possible but I approach my photography as serious fun and my overall demeanor doesn't seem to invite open rudeness. :D

I think you handled it as well as could be expected. Never let the enemies of fun spoil yours!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Your kind words mean a lot.

I'm glad I am kinda deaf so I will not hear anybody whining about me standing at the rail and enjoying my Photo vacation. I'll move if someone asks, but snide comments bring out Mr Snarky and I am not kind or polite. Spending the money outfitting a Photo vacation of a lifetime I will take every opportunity to get those pictures I know I will never have another chance to get. I do not get to cruise twice a year or even once a year like those rude veterans I read about. I am conscious about my surrounding and being out the way of others who is sharing these trips. but taking pictures versus just looking at the mountains, I'm sorry I am gonna snap away.

I'm glad I am kinda deaf so I will not hear anybody whining about me standing at the rail and enjoying my Photo vacation. I'll move if someone asks, but snide comments bring out Mr Snarky and I am not kind or polite. Spending the money outfitting a Photo vacation of a lifetime I will take every opportunity to get those pictures I know I will never have another chance to get. I do not get to cruise twice a year or even once a year like those rude veterans I read about. I am conscious about my surrounding and being out the way of others who is sharing these trips. but taking pictures versus just looking at the mountains, I'm sorry I am gonna snap away.

Thanks for your comments. Each vacation is our time to enjoy each other's company and go places we may never have another opportunity to see.

I gave my wife her first camera as a birthday present when she was recovering from surgery. The thought of traveling and taking pictures gave her something to look forward to and brighten her outlook.

Now, we travel when we can.

I get it all the time unfortunately. I try to ignore most of what is said. I get comments about how I must be trying to compensate for something given the size of my lens. :rolleyes: I get asked all the time when people see my work who the photographer is. They assume it is my husband.

I have never encountered this kind of thing; however from my observations in the past, typically on an excursion, there are quite a few people with cameras, so some etiquette is necessary.

Now I am not saying your wife did anything wrong. I am sure she did the right thing and was behaving in a courteous manner, and you handled it well when you spoke out.

I am just saying that as photographers, this incident should remind us to practice (or continue to practice) good photo etiquette. Otherwise, we may appear rude to others, intentional or not.

Based on my experiences on excursions in the past, In my view, good etiquette would include:

Share the scene: There are others that want to take photos as well, or even just want to take in the beauty of the scene. So don't be a "scene hog" by attempting to dominate the "choice" photo spots.

Don't waste other people's time: This includes standing in front, then not being sure what to do; what dial do I turn? do I position the camera vertically or horizontally? all to the annoyance of people behind you that want to move forward to get a good photo themselves. Rehearse or at least have an idea of your settings and composition of each photo before hand... then take the photo or two and move on.

Take family photos after everyone else has had a chance: No need to take several photos, then put your kids in front of a scene, then put grandma in front, then you get in front of the scene, you know what I mean. Wait until others are done viewing the scene or take their photos before getting cameos of the entire family.

Don't be Tardy: Don't make the bus wait for you at each stop because you are taking photos. Be quick enough when taking your photos so you are not delaying everyone else's vacation.

Fully exit the bus: The best spot to take a photo may not be as soon as you get off the excursion bus, especially if you are on the main pathway to where everyone else wants to go. If you want take a photo, do so when you not blocking everyone else from passing by. Move to the side if you need to.

Avoid tunnel vision: Often, we get "target fixation" wanting to get that great photo, and may not even be aware of how others perceive our actions.

If we practice good etiquette, we will ensure minimum reaction from others.

Again, I am not saying your wife did any of this, and I am sure all of us practice good etiquette. I am just making the comment as a reminder to continue good etiquette in spite of someone making snide remarks. Just don't let them get you down or intimidate you from taking photos.

There are others that just like being rude, and it appears that may be what you and your wife came across. Some people just like being mean, I guess.

I am sure it happens...

Edited by awboater

Perhaps this should start with, "Why am I on this cruise/tour?" For some, a cruise is the chance to relax and get a glimpse of new places, a once-in-a-lifetime event, a part of a larger tour, or just a chance to get some great photographs while being pampered.

As the latter, I do not begrudge those who must pose in front of every sign because this just might be their "once-in-a-lifetime" and they need proof of the event. It can be annoying but I learned to avoid the sign folks and step away for a different prospective.

I must admit that watching tablets and smartphones raised high over the heads of a crowd to get that proof-of-presence picture is interesting.

A great photograph should not be like any other, so stepping away from the crowd for another prospective is my norm. It also guarantees that an unexpected extended tablet/phone will not be in my shots.

I have not faced any rude comments but a "I'm just trying to make National Geographic happy," might be a good retort.

I can honestly say I've never experienced anything like that, despite being a person who has a camera with him probably 95% of the time I'm on a cruise. I even walk around on board with one, along with my book, my lunch, or whatever else I'm doing - I just like to always have a camera handy. I'm also 'that guy' who can be seen getting off at some ports with a nearly 3-foot-long white lens and heavy camera bag with TWO camera bodies on me...so it's obvious I'm a photographer/enthusiast.

Of course, it's possible from some distance there may be people who spot me and laugh or make pithy comment, and that's fine by me...I likely have done the same myself, making a private humorous observation or comment about something I found funny or odd about someone...I think we all do it at some point or another. The difference is, I wouldn't do it TO someone, or purposefully within earshot of them. It sounds like the ones your wife has run across were the type that didn't have that filter, or that consideration...they could be people with a little missing chromosome somewhere that has them less capable of understanding social interaction and friendliness, or could just be grumpy people who walk around looking for things to be upset or angry with.

I think a big part of the reason I don't tend to encounter these types is more to do with my own personality and approach, which is different than your wife's. Not that she's in any way to blame for, or deserving of, such rudeness, but her shy, inward personality might just leave her more exposed to it from those rude types. I'm very much an outgoing type, and i always talk to people, I'll even make fun of MYSELF when I'm lugging a lot of gear and see people look over...I smile, and laugh, and tell people about my camera or gear, how it works, or what the advantages are for lugging all that heavy equipment around that make it worth the disadvantage of weight and bulk. More often than not, they end up being very friendly even if they weren't into photography, and even though they'd never be caught dead carrying around 10Lbs of camera on a vacation...I find many people on the cruise, even people I don't know, will start asking me if I got any good shots, or ask to see a few examples of what I shoot, because they've seen me around the ship and ports with my cameras and I seemed friendly and approachable. I always bring business cards with my photo gallery website and e-mail that I give to people who want to see more of my photos, or maybe some who might like to see some shots from their cruise when they get back home.

It's entirely possible that I may have even run into a few of those same potentially rude folks who would have made some comment about my photography, but I intercepted them first with my approach and never gave them the chance.

I heartily agree with what AWBoater mentioned - I follow much the same common courtesy when I'm out shooting. I never obsess over shots to the point I don't notice others around me, I don't get in the way, I will be the one to stand aside and wait 5 or 10 minutes for people to clear out of a shot, rather than get frustrated or forceful and expect them to delay their progress for me. I always smile and wave people through when they're about to walk into my shot unaware, and always thank anyone who was courteous enough to pause or detour for me in any way when I do take a shot in a crowd. And I do tend to look for 'out of the traffic' shots anyway, often taking long walks far from the madding crowd to see the sights in quiet and peace and their natural, untouristy state.

I wonder if people feel braver about making remarks to your wife, a woman, than they would to a man? Reading the replies, all the "never had it happen"s came from men....

I'm not a big camera person, but generally don't begrudge photo seekers as long as they don't "hog the scene" as mentioned in the very good etiquette post above.

Interesting about using smart phones or cameras now that have the viewing panes....this enables/encourages/requires the photographer to hold the camera away from their body to take the shot. Not even necessarily overhead, but just a foot or so away, to be able to look at the view screen (rather than the old style of holding the camera up to one's eye). I wonder if those photographers realize, especially in a crowded situation, that this style can block so much more of someone else's view? For example, sitting next to someone in a church who is taking multiple pictures, or even a video, I end up having my view partially blocked by their arm/camera.....and I'll bet they'd be shocked if they saw the impact their photo taking had on my view.

Just something to think about.

Mary

tooo many sayings......

for I when on vacation, I do my best to be Polite in giving and taking end.

If I have to say something because, Like the the person, in a glass show, walks in, the middle of the show, and stands right next to us and yap, yap yap, I allow once, I will allow two times, but the third time I will bark my command. "DO YOU MIND, taking it elsewhere!" LOUD, I may get embarrassed, but I will get a Attaboy from a number of people, b/c I stood up for myself.

But I chose not to start fights, and I more or less mind my bees wax. :cool:.

I will not snap pics of certain things, and will respect others, I am not going to go up to the person to ask them, I will miss the shot b/c of that, and I more or less would want the same.

There are AdamHenry's everywhere. I find the older I get the less tolerance I have for them.

As a recreational photographer, it brings me a great deal of pleasure and doesn’t hurt anyone else.

I wouldn’t have been very nice as my redneckyness would have made itself known.

What gets me annoyed is if I get up early to stake out a good photo location on the ship or if I figure out a good location ahead of time and then someone wanders out of breakfast or from somewhere else just as things get interesting and wants me to move so that they can get a picture. My general attitude is that they should have planned ahead as I did and I basically do not move.

They had every opportunity to pick out a good location but I was there first.

DON

What gets me annoyed is if I get up early to stake out a good photo location on the ship or if I figure out a good location ahead of time and then someone wanders out of breakfast or from somewhere else just as things get interesting and wants me to move so that they can get a picture. My general attitude is that they should have planned ahead as I did and I basically do not move.

DON

You and I would do very well sharing the good spots. I do the same thing. I'm female and 5 ft 3 in (or vertically challenged as my sons say) so I need to be in the front. But more than once I've had to sort of plant my feet and shove back a bit because someone got pushy.

DON

You and I would do very well sharing the good spots. I do the same thing. I'm female and 5 ft 3 in (or vertically challenged as my sons say) so I need to be in the front. But more than once I've had to sort of plant my feet and shove back a bit because someone got pushy.

Panama Canal approach comes to mind. Hours before entry, the rails look like Best Buy on the day the new iPhone comes out...and the crowd is just as "polite" and "tolerant"! :D

Dave

I get it all the time unfortunately. I try to ignore most of what is said. I get comments about how I must be trying to compensate for something given the size of my lens. :rolleyes: I get asked all the time when people see my work who the photographer is. They assume it is my husband.

My wife gets a lot of that as well. Even though she owns a website that bears her name, people assume that I take the pictures. I always point out that she does all the work and deserves all the credit.