Snorkeling Tour....

jaxfl

We will be arriving in Cozumel 28 October 2013 on the Dream. I was at one time a certified diver (1970-90), that was before the heart attack in 2001 and the wife is just a beginning snorkeler, so we will not be diving, HOWEVER, to help the wife to get started in this sport we are signed up for the Carnival $24pp Beginers Snorkel Tour that I think is held at Sunset beach. Does anyone know about this tour and beach? Have you been on this tour (your opinion, please) Any help would be great.

Thanks

I don't know anything about this tour - but may I make a suggestion? Cozumel is such an easy port to do your own thing & save money. We've always felt very safe there.

I would say - buy a set of snorkel equipment before you sail (or borrow someone's) and take your wife to practice in a pool so she gets comfortable with it. You can usually pick up a mask & snorkel pretty reasonable at some of the sports stores. Its not difficult (I'm sure you know that), and with very little practice, she will get the hang of it.

There is a place in Coz called the Money Bar - a restaurant by the water. For the cost of a taxi ride from the pier (about $8-10 each way) you can taxi to the restaurant, walk down in the water & the fish are right there. As a matter of fact, one of the snorkel trips brings their people here for their last stop - they actually snorkel at the reef right of the beach, and bring their group in to eat at the restaurant - but the snorkeling is good at the restaurant too. I believe the Money Bar rents snorkels & fins if you don't bring your own (we have ours, and always bring them with us). Then, after you snorkel a while you can go into town and shop, or back to the pier & shop.

Another place for good snorkeling is Chankanaab Park. Do it on your own also - not through a ships tour. (2 people can transport & get in for what it cost one person on ship's tour). Taxi is about $10 out & $10 back (if I remember right). Its about $26pp to get in park (sometimes you can get a coupon online to get a few dollars off). They have a beautiful park & beach & good snorkeling. You can rent equipment there too. They also have a sea lion show (free w/entrance). A few shops, some restaurants, and they have the dolphin encounter you can watch or participate. Food is extra - not included in entrance price.

I hope this helps.

Thanks guys..keep it coming.

We have all the gear, have taken the wife to the gym pool and practiced a little. She is afraid of DEEP WATER... you know over 4 foot so starting her out slow and off the beach is the only way. Jumping off a boat is not going to make it.

One of the concerns I have is the currents. Never been to Cozumel before so don't know them and I figured with a guide (tour) they would and I can learn from them.

Keep it coming.

We snorkeled at Chankanaab last year. We found out later that we were snorkeling "backwards" - or against the current, and it would have been easier if we had done it the other way - but the best snorkeling was right up against the beach - and it was probably only 5-6' deep.

The best way to snorkel is to do this: When you go into the park, walk ALL the way to the very end of the park along the beach until you can't go any farther (there will be a wall looking down into the ocean). There is a ladder there, and if you enter there, and snorkel to the right, you will follow the beach wall all the way down. There are stairs to get out on the other end. We did the opposite, which was fine, but when you get to where I said to start at, there is an underground stream coming out at that point, and the current naturally pulls you away from the beach. I'm a weak swimmer, and had a tough time getting back to the ladder. My husband had to help me. (And the water was VERY cold there - from the stream!) But, if we had got in there, and let that current push us out, then followed the beach towards the dolphin pens, it would have been perfect. It is not a "walk-in" beach at Chankanaab. Its very rocky - that's why the snorkeling is good. That is also why there are stairs to go down to the water. We saw some pretty fish there. Someone told us later they snorkeled out by the dolphin pens and saw some bigger fish (but that would be deeper water I'm sure).

We go back in January, and I think we will either do the Eagle Ray excursion, or go to Money Bar for a different experience.

If you don't have a snorkel vest, your wife might enjoy having one to feel safer. They might even rent them at Chankanaab. But, like I said, if you stay along the beach, it isn't that deep.

Thanks guys..keep it coming.

We have all the gear, have taken the wife to the gym pool and practiced a little. She is afraid of DEEP WATER... you know over 4 foot so starting her out slow and off the beach is the only way. Jumping off a boat is not going to make it.

One of the concerns I have is the currents. Never been to Cozumel before so don't know them and I figured with a guide (tour) they would and I can learn from them.

Keep it coming.

One good thing about ship sponsored snorkel excursions and snorkeling with private vendors is that they give you a lifevest. Usually one that you blow up once in the water. That does add a degree of comfort for novices.

On an excurison, versus DIY, the guides will usually direct you to where the current isn't too dangerous and typically have one guide hanging around the newer snorkelers. I've seen and heard of excursions that get cancelled if the current/water is too rough.

For training purposes, just take her over to the Jax Rowing Club behind the State office building on Arlington Expway and let her float around off the dock....:D:D:eek: (Just kidding).

One good thing about ship sponsored snorkel excursions and snorkeling with private vendors is that they give you a lifevest. Usually one that you blow up once in the water. That does add a degree of comfort for novices.

On an excurison, versus DIY, the guides will usually direct you to where the current isn't too dangerous and typically have one guide hanging around the newer snorkelers. I've seen and heard of excursions that get cancelled if the current/water is too rough.

For training purposes, just take her over to the Jax Rowing Club behind the State office building on Arlington Expway and let her float around off the dock....:D:D:eek: (Just kidding).

THANKS.... I could also take her to Guana Lake or Salt springs and let her snorkel with the gators. I got both of us vests, masks, snorkel, and travel fins. It is just getting her comfortable in deeper water.

I also recommend Chankanaab. My youngest daughter started snorkeling there at 3 years old and has went snorkeling with us at every port since then.

I fully detailed reviews with TONS of pictures in the reviews (and links to other pictures) if you are interested. You can click on the review in my signature line below. You will see a lot of sea life and fish there right against the wall where you go in as another poster stated.

If you have the gear and still need the life vest, they are free to rent at Chankanaab also.

Also, the people that work there will tell you where to go if the current is stronger there that day. They care about your safety, even if you are not on a sponsored snorkel tour. The first time we went there, the told us the best area to enter and where to go since the currents were a little stronger at one end that day. The next time, it wasn't as strong. You will also see some snorkeling groups there and they snorkel right along side of you. However, I think she will quickly learn that it's not as fun when you are beside them because everyone is in the way and you can see more when you are floating along with just the two of you.

If she gets a little more comfortable and wants to venture out a little, there is a floating deck out in the water and you can swim out to that. There are statues out in that area to see. You will find the people who are scuba diving out there (don't worry, it's not far or way out in the ocean, it's still within the roped off area that everyone stays in). This may build her confidence AND if she feels like getting out of the water to rest some, there's the floating deck she can get on. :)

Thanks. So out of thousands of folks that have been to Cozumel on a Carnival Cruise NO ONE has ever been on this Beginers Snorkel Tour...WOW.

Probably because most of us do it on our own if it's a port that you can snorkel right from the land/beach area.

Here is a page I found on Sunset:

http://cozumelmexico.net/Sunset_Beach.html

It looks similar to Chankanaab and Money Bar...you walk down the steps into the snorkeling area. :)

Pro

Here is a page I found on Sunset:

http://cozumelmexico.net/Sunset_Beach.html

. :)

Thanks. Yes reading the discription of the Begaining Snorkel Tour it leads me to believe that Sunset is the beach that is used. I am trying to verify that. It is just a short walk from the port that the Dream ties to. This would make it a very convent and inexpensive place with dive shop, food, drink, snorkeling beach, and also should be close to shopping for the wife after some time in the water. Reading about Chankanaab even with your review makes me think of Disney Land or a man-made amusment park, except for the beach part. It is also costly by the time you take a taxi, entery fee, food and drink inside the park.

I did a little research and here is what I found (I like to use google earth to find things :D).

Another thread on here mentioned that it is about a mile from International Pier (and Carnival docks at the Puerta Pier next to International).

This is an overview of that area and it looks like it's within walking distance with sidewalks to get there along the road:

toport_zps2c6e1494.jpg

This is a shot from the street looking at Sunset and you can see the ships in the distance to the left:

sunset_zpsa376e506.jpg

This is a look to the right:

sunsetw_zps11768ad4.jpg

I hope that helps with maybe what it looks like and the distance there if that's the place they are using. :)

Archived