No Guarantee rooms for 3 people in room??

lufty70

I booked a cruise on Adventure a while back and was checking prices, the balcony guarantee dropped drastically to within 100pp bucks of what I was paying for my inside room. So I called and asked about it. They don't allow guarantees for more than 2 people. SOOO sad. The balcony rooms for 3 people are running 1000 a person more than the inside rooms. Cant' swing that. Rather frustrated now! Was excited for a bit there thinking I could get the balcony room again (bringing son along for first time, so cant' afford balcony now :( ) Is this normal on all ships or just certain ones?

I booked a cruise on Adventure a while back and was checking prices, the balcony guarantee dropped drastically to within 100pp bucks of what I was paying for my inside room. So I called and asked about it. They don't allow guarantees for more than 2 people. SOOO sad. The balcony rooms for 3 people are running 1000 a person more than the inside rooms. Cant' swing that. Rather frustrated now! Was excited for a bit there thinking I could get the balcony room again (bringing son along for first time, so cant' afford balcony now :( ) Is this normal on all ships or just certain ones?

Yes it's normal for all ships.

Cabins that can accommodate 3 people are limited and therefore can be sold at premium. It's all a matter of supply and demand. Also just because a cabin may have a sofa it's not always a sofa bed. Therefore when booking a guarantee cabin the cruise line can generally only guarantee that it will be cabin for 2 .

Generally gty's are offered for two guests. As the PP explained, that is easy and flexible for the cruiseline.

Once in a while somebody reports catching an opportunity to book a gty for 3+ guests. So keep watching; maybe you will be lucky. Since it is not common, if you see one at an appealing, book it (or at least place a hold on it) so it does not get away.

Ditto everyone else, keep checking. The sailing we are booked on showed no availability at all for 4 for a while, and then one night a balcony guarantee for 4 popped up and we grabbed it. I checked several times a day, I'm kind of compulsive like that....Good luck!

What are my chances for one showing up? Also, has anyone ever had any luck upgrading when you get to port to check in? Figure can always ask then if all else fails.

I don't think anyone could answer that except the bean counters. Depends on how well different categories are selling for a particular cruise. As noted, offers can come and go within hours. Haven't heard of anyone managing to upgrade at port in a very long time as ships normally sail full but it never hurts to ask.

Thats kinda what I figured. I'll keep checking maybe I will get lucky and something will pop up for an affordable price. So depressing that my friends are getting the balcony for what I am paying for an inside room.

It would be frustrating to watch your friends upgrade.

Here is somewhat convoluted (and maybe improbable) strategy you could consider trying, especially if your son is young enough to sleep on floor or sofa if needbe. Have your friends gotten their cabin assignment? If so, is it a cabin for two or a cabin for three/four? If they were assigned (or can swap into) a cabin for three+ (and if they are really good friends and super nice people), you could ask if they'd be willing to ask if they could add a third to their assigned cabin and at what cost. I have no idea if the cruise line will just say no, quote a reasonable price or quote an outrageous price, but it cannot hurt to ask. In the (?unlikely) event that a reasonable price is quoted, one of your gang could perhaps be booked in their cabin, leaving two of you to upgrade to a balcony gty. Once both cabins are assigned, sort out which family gets which cabin. And leaving you owing your friends a nice favor.

Archived