does at&t package for summit work?

turkeysmoker

Phone calls work but the connection isn't always great. You can pay by the minute ($2.50/min) or buy a package from your cell company. just be aware that the "normal" international packages do not apply to cruise ship use. It needs to specifically be for cruise ships.

I've read mixed reviews, mostly negative, about using cellular data on the ships under a package as most reports I've read indicate it either didn't work or was really slow. Never try cellular data without a package as it is super extremely expensive.

Free wifi zones are often near the ship. If you have an ipad or iphone, you can use the wifi to make "free" calls. I was just in Europe and used facetime to call my grand kids everynight. I could see them...and they could see me. Reception was excellent in most places.

need to stay in touch with grandson who is starting kindergarten always makes nana smile

The AT&T package for voice, (found at http://www dot wireless dot att dot com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp#cruiseships) which includes discounted minutes at the ports you visit, is a good deal as long as you stay within the allotted minutes.

I believe it gives you 50 minutes for $30 which is less than 1/2 the price of just making the calls. If you are going to text it is an additional $30 for 100 texts (without it the cost is $.50 per text sent)... note: Received texts go by your home plan.

If you have both the minutes and text plan you can add 100mb of data for an additional $60. (this may not be worth it as data is VERY SLOW onboard the ship). If you just want international data in Bermuda it is $30 for 120mb of data.

I'd suggest that you call AT&T Customer Care for further clarification and assistance in selecting the correct plan.

Steve

When we get off the ship we usually head to a local store and buy a phone card. I think we paid $20 and it gave us about 45 mins of talk time.

We would call home just before boarding the ship on our way back from an excursion, and some nights after dinner during the time we were docked.

If you are going to Bermuda on the Summit there is a whole bank of pay phones as you come through the walkway where they check your ID's.

Archived