No cabin assignment 24 hours before sailing

Since we have almost a week to wait for the possibility of finding out what type of suite this guy finally got, should we take bets, ourselves, on which type?

I'm guessing JS, exactly what was guaranteed, nothing really more. Ocean-side, and just far enough aft to have an annoying walk but not all the way back for the panache.

So if you book a suite guarantee, you can be assigned anything from a JS upward? Is the cost of a guarantee more than the cost of a JS because they *can* give you something higher?

I was under the impression that the guarantee meant that you get whatever wasn't booked up in advance. That is, it could be a JS, GS, OS, etc. when the booking time closed. Is that right?

I would not have been worried at all and figured I was getting a JS and be happy with anything that or anything else that might come along.

I would trust that RCCL wouldn't leave me at the dock. Granted, I am lowly gold with only one cruise, but I have not been disappointed in their customer service yet. As other posters have commented, no one has been left "at the dock."

I think if the OP doesn't come back, we should private mail him or her to post an update! :D

I just subscribed. Too much invested in thread not to know the final outcome!

Actually I also have a GTY JS for Aug 25 Allure sailing with no assignment yet. First time for a GTY booking for us and think

I like the anticipation...like Xmas.

Frank

So if you book a suite guarantee, you can be assigned anything from a JS upward? Is the cost of a guarantee more than the cost of a JS because they *can* give you something higher?

I was under the impression that the guarantee meant that you get whatever wasn't booked up in advance. That is, it could be a JS, GS, OS, etc. when the booking time closed. Is that right?

I would not have been worried at all and figured I was getting a JS and be happy with anything that or anything else that might come along.

I would trust that RCCL wouldn't leave me at the dock. Granted, I am lowly gold with only one cruise, but I have not been disappointed in their customer service yet. As other posters have commented, no one has been left "at the dock."

I think if the OP doesn't come back, we should private mail him or her to post an update! :D

With a W guarantee you can be assigned anything from a JS upwards although most of the time it will be a JS. The price of a W is almost always less than a JS the only real exception being is when they have lowered the price of a JS below the guarantee and have not adjusted the price of a guarantee.

There is no definitive answer as to when cabins are assigned. For example sometimes as in this case it is last minute at the pier and others like in my case where it was assigned 9 months out. Once mine was assigned (poor location) which is what they typically do I was able to call and move it to the location of my choice as only 6 JS's were already booked. I basically could pick any JS I wanted. My personal feeling is that when they assign guarantees early they assign the worst cabin knowing that most people do not know that they can change cabins or that people in some countries are not allowed to. It pays to be a member of CC to learn these helpful hints.

There is no definitive answer as to when cabins are assigned. For example sometimes as in this case it is last minute at the pier and others like in my case where it was assigned 9 months out. Once mine was assigned (poor location) which is what they typically do I was able to call and move it to the location of my choice as only 6 JS's were already booked. I basically could pick any JS I wanted. My personal feeling is that when they assign guarantees early they assign the worst cabin knowing that most people do not know that they can change cabins or that people in some countries are not allowed to. It pays to be a member of CC to learn these helpful hints.

I agree for the "worst" cabin assigned when booking far in advance a guarantee cabin. I've had many, but they were all last minute reservations, and had great luck. For my Allure cruise in January, a X (oceanview balcony) guaranty came available last month. I changed my D5 to the guaranty and was assigned in a week. And assigned to (imo) the worst cabin--Deck 6, 1st cabin forward. I was able to change to another D8 (which is what I was assigned) that I like much better. While mildly disappointed I didn't get higher than a D8, I figured this far out with many D8's available, that would be the case. If the guaranty comes back within a month or two of sailing, I'm fairly certain those assignments will be much better with a chance of an upgrade to D1 or JS.

Don't misunderstand, I'm still very happy. With the amount of $$ I saved, I would have still been happy with the original assignment. After all, I don't think there are any "bad" rooms onboard.

I'll agree also with your comment on the CC knowledge. My first few guarantees, I was not aware I could change the cabin (not that I necessarily wanted to). I was on CC then, but that was many years ago and I wasn't on as often nor were there many others sharing those tips!

Actually I also have a GTY JS for Aug 25 Allure sailing with no assignment yet. First time for a GTY booking for us and think

Frank

Me too!! We are booked in a W GTY for Oasis on 8/30 and have yet to be assigned either - it really is like Christmas morning!!

We will be happy to be on the ship no matter what we get!! :)

Frank

Hope you get a good cabin!!! :):)

Wow this thread really exploded?

We got upgraded the night before our cruise when we sailed on Monarch. We only found out before we checked in because we were double checking everything before we left the next day. It was an OV to a JS.

Ourusualbeach is correct. Once your balcony guarantee cabin is assigned, you can request a change to another cabin ONLY in the same exact category to which you have been assigned. You CANNOT be asked to move up or down. That is the chance that you take in booking a guarantee. We should consider ourselves lucky that they let you request ANY sort of change. Again, that is the chance that you take in booking a guarantee. You must be prepared to accept the 'worst' cabin in the category. You have no right to ANY choice at all.

Of course you can ask, but the answer will be "no.";) I have heard that one can go back into the gty pool, but the computer often just assigns the exact same cabin again. It can never hurt to ask...

With a W guarantee you can be assigned anything from a JS upwards although most of the time it will be a JS. The price of a W is almost always less than a JS the only real exception being is when they have lowered the price of a JS below the guarantee and have not adjusted the price of a guarantee.

Thanks so much. You are right about the tips here on CC. I'll keep that in mind next time we book!

Thanks for all the well wishes on our cabin...actually I just wanted to bump this to the first page! HAHA[/quote

Good luck on your cabin, a loft suite would be nice. Don't keep us hanging like the OP after you get an assignment. Come back and tell us.

I'm also on the Allure on the 25th. My JS guarantee was assigned, no extra upgrade for me. I wish you better luck.

I'm confused now! I booked an inside guarantee on Indy for Oct, got our allocated cabin but was a little disappointed with being on deck 2 (10 decks away from the teen club for my eldest!) so I contacted them by e-mail today to request a change only to be told I would need to pay the difference between what I paid for the gty and the current selling price despite the offered alternative being the same category as I had been assigned?? Can anyone clarify - in theory should I be able to move cabins within the same category without incurring an additional charge - so maybe it's worth giving them a call rather than e-mailing?

I'm confused now! I booked an inside guarantee on Indy for Oct, got our allocated cabin but was a little disappointed with being on deck 2 (10 decks away from the teen club for my eldest!) so I contacted them by e-mail today to request a change only to be told I would need to pay the difference between what I paid for the gty and the current selling price despite the offered alternative being the same category as I had been assigned?? Can anyone clarify - in theory should I be able to move cabins within the same category without incurring an additional charge - so maybe it's worth giving them a call rather than e-mailing?

Unfortunately being able to change cabins within the same category only applies to US and Canada residents. Residents from the UK have many restrictions with their bookings.

Archived