Employees on cruise ships

vent1020

Thanks for all the responses. When I started this thread, I didn't expect it to turn into this and I have learned so much more than the questions I originally asked.

I started to wonder a few things. First off, with as little as the crew makes, I wonder if they made more how much more expensive cruising would be. I wonder if that is why cruise lines hire from these impoverished countries, because they can pay less, than say hiring all American employees.

I also wonder if the crew ever feels guilty about how they eat while their families are home not eating nearly as well(This is speculation that the family doesn't eat as well, but may be true)

BTW, whoever mentioned about asking your steward or other select crew members if they needed anything from ashore and buying that for them, I LOVE THAT IDEA!

I also love the idea of the M&M's. I had read on another thread where people talked about bringing little trinkets from home to give their steward if they did a good job(which they usually do) I also love that idea.

There of course would be a marked increase in prices.

Let's just say the average crew member makes $1 per hour plus tips. On a moderately sized ship there are probably 800 (I assumed a crew of 1600 averaging 12 hours) crew members active at any time so lets say the staff operating cost of the ship when you count in agency contracts, food, room and board, etc is $1000 per hour. (these are made up numbers).

Now lets go to minimum wage - $8.25 per hour. That would add approximaely $6000 per HOUR to staff costs (assuming a corresponding increase in agency fees). Or about $140 K a day per ship. Lets say 2000 cabins on a ship, so it would raise the cost per cabin by $70 per day on average. I'll leave going to a real wage ($15-$20 per hour) as an exercise to the reader.

Of course, this is just for illustration using made up numbers and lines could reduce staff etc to mitigate it.

Thanks for all the responses. When I started this thread, I didn't expect it to turn into this and I have learned so much more than the questions I originally asked.

I started to wonder a few things. First off, with as little as the crew makes, I wonder if they made more how much more expensive cruising would be. I wonder if that is why cruise lines hire from these impoverished countries, because they can pay less, than say hiring all American employees.

I also wonder if the crew ever feels guilty about how they eat while their families are home not eating nearly as well(This is speculation that the family doesn't eat as well, but may be true)

BTW, whoever mentioned about asking your steward or other select crew members if they needed anything from ashore and buying that for them, I LOVE THAT IDEA!

I also love the idea of the M&M's. I had read on another thread where people talked about bringing little trinkets from home to give their steward if they did a good job(which they usually do) I also love that idea.

Thanks for starting it. It's been an interesting an informative thread.

If you look at the prices of some American cruise lines (registered in the USA) you can see the cost difference ...they have to pay wages based on the USA scale

We recently did an American Queen cruise & I can tell you it was not cheap ..

Remember the crew have very small cabin that they share & have to pack all the trinkets or toss them when they get off the ship at the end of their contracts to fly back home

They are not going to pay the excess baggage fees

Cash is king

If you look at the prices of some American cruise lines (registered in the USA) you can see the cost difference ...they have to pay wages based on the USA scale

We recently did an American Queen cruise & I can tell you it was not cheap ..

I agree. I've have also done cruises registered in the U.S. and they are much more expensive.

I dunno if it's still the same, but on Dawn Princess in 2001 our Steward (from Hungary) paid Princess to work there. Obviously she needed tips to survive.

I've heard that the jobs are coveted but that seems over the top. I think it's sad if true.

I had seen once upon a time that shipping & cruise jobs in Greece were so coveted. they were handed down from father to son.

Interesting. I've met several crew on board for whom this is also true. A parent worked on ships and so do they. Not exactly like the Greek way but working in the family business nonetheless.

Archived