Employees on cruise ships

vent1020

I read a story in a travel magazine where the writers had taken various jobs in cruise ships (excursion desk & bartender) or hotels (chamber maid). One common theme was that it was a lot harder than they expected.

Steve

On my July cruise, my waiter told me those positive comment cards go toward promotion!! He aspired to being head waiter and then who knows what???--maitre'd??? With promotion it means more pay, less at sea days before a vacation etc.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was also told that the big kudos for the staff was when anyone is mentioned by name in the emailed survey everyone receives post cruise. For every mention they receive a day off. After everything is tallied by the corporate office a list of all the crew are posted with everyone that was mentioned in the survey highlighted for all to see. We always do both the comment cards on board and follow up with the survey if there are people we bond with that were spectacular.

I read a story in a travel magazine where the writers had taken various jobs in cruise ships (excursion desk & bartender) or hotels (chamber maid). One common theme was that it was a lot harder than they expected.

Steve

On one cruise we were talking to a bartender about a bartender we had on a previous cruise. Evidently that bartender decide to become a cabin steward thinking it might be easier. He quickly returned to bartending.

I was also told that the big kudos for the staff was when anyone is mentioned by name in the emailed survey everyone receives post cruise. For every mention they receive a day off. After everything is tallied by the corporate office a list of all the crew are posted with everyone that was mentioned in the survey highlighted for all to see. We always do both the comment cards on board and follow up with the survey if there are people we bond with that were spectacular.

Very true. Also on the on board cards. I go to the purser's (oh pardon me passenger services) desk and they give me the full names of the people I want to give compliments to so I have the whole name and the correct spelling. One time we had trouble with parts of the lights in our cabin working sporadically there was an engineer who worked very hard to fix the problem down to going ashore and buying a part. I wrote a "kudos card" for him and he said no one in his department had ever gotten one. His supervisor even stopped by our cabin to thank us for filling out the card. It made me think beyond the usual people we make comments about.

the blue cards are meaningless.... they get so many and everyone writes the same thing, best server or best room steward or best whatever....

If anything helps it is the survey.... promotions are VERY political.... the surveys for tipped employees at least help keep them in their job.

As someone mentioned about the facebook page for crewmembers, notice how many bar staff hate the tipping system that's in place now... if their dept doesn't reach above a certain satisfaction score on the surveys, they don't get 100% of their tips..... and these are tips that the passengers already paid!!!!!

also about 2 yrs ago dining went to a fleetwide tipping model.... and of course the company doesn't do anything for free, so the labor expense for "handling/monitoring/administering" is taken from the pool... not to mention a % for credit cad fees.... and in case anyone has heard about McDonalds employees being upset about being "forced" to be paid by debit card..... well guess how the crew gets paid,,,, I'm American, so I got direct deposit.... and the part about having taxes with held....well, the pay isn't high enough for that to be an issue.

This has been an interesting thread to read for me, as we are getting ready to take only our second cruise. Seeing the life the workers on the cruise lead has given me a truly new perspective.

One question: in addition to a cash tip and high praise on the survey, is there any kind of gift that the room steward or the dining steward might appreciate? I was thinking of calling cards, gift cards, etc. I know if we get into conversation with our room steward we might find out that he/she likes something like chocolate, but until then, was looking for ideas.

Thanks for the great input, all of you.

On Princess, and other US-based cruise lines with ships marketed in the US, it's a requirement for all crew to be able to speak and understand English. They must speak English in public spaces while on duty although you might hear staff in the buffet or even the dining room giving or taking instructions in their native language.

The language thing reminds me of a good laugh I got when I asked one of the waitstaff abut the 'CRUISE' pin they wear.

The reply was " Cant Really Understand Italian - Speak English" :D:D

This has been an interesting thread to read for me, as we are getting ready to take only our second cruise. Seeing the life the workers on the cruise lead has given me a truly new perspective.

One question: in addition to a cash tip and high praise on the survey, is there any kind of gift that the room steward or the dining steward might appreciate? I was thinking of calling cards, gift cards, etc. I know if we get into conversation with our room steward we might find out that he/she likes something like chocolate, but until then, was looking for ideas.

Money is #1..... other than that, depending on nationality... maybe a bottle of liquor or some lottery cards (from a port that you visit and they will visit again) especially if they are Filipino or Thai, they love to gamble/

As a passenger, it's nice to talk to or acknowledge crew that get little interaction with passengers, like the public area cleaners, or pantry or utility boys (like the bar backs) that are looking to move up & get promoted so they like to practice their English with a native speaker and practice their "stories" about their country and family. So many of the crew go un-noticed like they are invisible so when you remember their name, makes a difference, many are on 1st or 2nd contracts and still adjusting to being away from home with all these "rich" foreigners.

Many can't understand how we became rich yet be so stupid and ask dumb questions.... you guys know what I mean, you've all heard other passengers asking them, lol

Cash. They have very little space for personal items and in most cases their preferences for snacks, etc are different than the majority of cruisers.

At least for US based cruises,I think Phone cards would be ok, but even then I would give them cash and let them decide if they need them.

BTW, someone posted they get paid in debit cards. That's technically true but in this case there's a reason, they don't want a lot of cash lurking in the cruise quarters, and with the variety of ports they don't have to worry about bankfees between banks.. Also, they can deposit their own cash into the system and they have a fee free ATM type device to get it out, its not the same as a bank debit card. (I'm basing this on RCCL but am assuming most lines use a similar system. RCCL introduced something new last year where crew could even send funds home for a very minimal fee right from the ship (in comparison with wire fees in port - it just takes a little longer.)

We usually cruise for longer periods of time, and buy large bags of M&Ms for the laundry and galley crews, and the PSD staff. We have been told that almost everyone loves M&Ms, regardless of nationality.

On an Alaskan cruise our room Philippine room steward was away from his home and his wife and kids for the first time and was very sad. When we got to Juneau we went to the Shrine of St. Therese and brought him some religious items. He was thrilled.

On a HAL ship both husband and wife were working on board they had two daughters and we bought them both dolls and they too were very happy.

But in the main I agree money is the handiest and most useful for them.

My daughter is paid by Celebrity in US$. In fact she has been employed by them longer than any UK business so has been paid in $ more than £'s since leaving college!!

Exchanging the $'s for £'s back home is a pain so we try and find friends/family who are about to go off on their holidays and require the $'s.

As for gifts from passengers she has been given quaint momento's, but give her a pack of Haribo sweets and she'll smile from ear to ear.

I should point out it is perfectly acceptable to ask a crew member if they would like you to pick up anything in a port. One steward requested coffee in columbia, in Alaska the request was for hand soap In both cases we oblidged. The crew member in both cases offered to pay, but we were happy to cover the expense (and since we got the TP from a supermarket in Juneau, it was a BIG package, to the amusement of security.

How do you get the M&Ms to the laundry/galley crew, PSD staff?

For the laundry and, obviously, the PSD, we drop them off at the PSD with a You Made the Difference card. For the galley crew, we give them (along with the YMtD card) to a head waiter, so that they get to the appropriate galley (i.e. for the galley that serves the dining room we eat in, or in the buffet galley).

ETA: Our room steward conveyed to us how thrilled the laundry crew was to be recognized. Apparently, they had never received anything from a passenger before, and it meant a lot. I can't say that it was related, but I do know that, following that, the couple of times I requested Express service on laundry, I was never charged extra.

I should point out it is perfectly acceptable to ask a crew member if they would like you to pick up anything in a port. One steward requested coffee in columbia, in Alaska the request was for hand soap In both cases we oblidged. The crew member in both cases offered to pay, but we were happy to cover the expense (and since we got the TP from a supermarket in Juneau, it was a BIG package, to the amusement of security.

We do this all the time, particularly for our room steward. Usually waitstaff can eek out a couple of hours on a turnaround day, but room stewards seldom can. And, if the item is of minimal value, it becomes a gift.

We usually cruise for longer periods of time, and buy large bags of M&Ms for the laundry and galley crews, and the PSD staff. We have been told that almost everyone loves M&Ms, regardless of nationality.

Good idea and then you can fill the space they took up with stuff you buy :rolleyes:

Never thought of it but will do it from now on. Thanks.

Money is #1..... other than that, depending on nationality... maybe a bottle of liquor or some lottery cards (from a port that you visit and they will visit again) especially if they are Filipino or Thai, they love to gamble/

As a passenger, it's nice to talk to or acknowledge crew that get little interaction with passengers, like the public area cleaners, or pantry or utility boys (like the bar backs) that are looking to move up & get promoted so they like to practice their English with a native speaker and practice their "stories" about their country and family. So many of the crew go un-noticed like they are invisible so when you remember their name, makes a difference, many are on 1st or 2nd contracts and still adjusting to being away from home with all these "rich" foreigners.

Many can't understand how we became rich yet be so stupid and ask dumb questions.... you guys know what I mean, you've all heard other passengers asking them, lol

Excellent points and so true. It's important to try and make those connections not just on ship but everywhere.

Oh one other thing, time permitting, I always ask the steward how to say a few key phrases in their native tongue, most notably please and thank you and try to use them a few times during the cruise, with sometimes amusing results..

Oh one other thing, time permitting, I always ask the steward how to say a few key phrases in their native tongue, most notably please and thank you and try to use them a few times during the cruise, with sometimes amusing results..

I agree it's a nice thing to do and shows you're making an effort.

As I read through the posts regarding wages as opposed to time spent on the job, I could not help but remember the time we spent during our early years in various military jobs. I remember the part about .10 an hour. Am I the only one who had this kind of flashback?

As I read through the posts regarding wages as opposed to time spent on the job, I could not help but remember the time we spent during our early years in various military jobs. I remember the part about .10 an hour. Am I the only one who had this kind of flashback?

I see by your cruises listing that you sailed on the Lurline. I did too. It was an amazing experience.

On one cruise we were talking to a bartender about a bartender we had on a previous cruise. Evidently that bartender decide to become a cabin steward thinking it might be easier. He quickly returned to bartending.

The writer for the housekeeper story quickly learned that she had the hardest job in the hotel. Gotta be the same for cabin stewards.

The writer for the housekeeper story quickly learned that she had the hardest job in the hotel. Gotta be the same for cabin stewards.

I think you're right. We always try to keep our space tidy on one cruise some people wanted to see our room so we showed it to them then they invited us to see their room. Ye gods and little fishes what a mess. The room steward had his work cut out for him.

Archived