No discounts?

LiseD

I just had a travel agent said that RCL won't allow TA's to discount fares but they can offer OBC.....but I have had several quotes for the same trip and they all seem to be a bit different! Can anyone tell me more about RCL pricing policy and should I be leary of a TA offering a discount?

I just had a travel agent said that RCL won't allow TA's to discount fares but they can offer OBC.....but I have had several quotes for the same trip and they all seem to be a bit different! Can anyone tell me more about RCL pricing policy and should I be leary of a TA offering a discount?

TA's use to be able to discount RCI's fares. But around 2003 they stopped allowing the TA's to do so.

My TA apparently booked large groupings/blocks of cabins and therefore was advertising lower prices than RCI directly. I went back and forth between RCI and the TA to make sure it was apples to apples and the TA was substantially less expensive than RCI. There were no OBC or perks given to me from either. TA came out to $600 less than RCI once all taxes, gratuities, insurance were factored in.

I just purchased from an online TA a discounted fare. I have to assume that I was put into a group rate to get that. I had no other loyalty discounts available to worry about for this sailing, but, the reduced fare WAS combinable with the current cruise line OBC offer for new bookings, so I got that, too.

The base stateroom rate from RCI or a TA will be the same - there is no discounting of rates by a TA with RCI and most large cruise lines.

Any non-RCI sponsored perk offered by a TA will come either directly from their commissions and/or from a block of rooms that would be released individually as "group" rooms. Based on the size of the block of rooms, the TA will receive a small credit that they then may distribute among those rooms. (Typically this will be equivalent to 1 passenger's stateroom fare for every 8 rooms blocked at double occupancy (16 passengers) within a given room category).

The only things I would think to be wary of in this is that if you are part of a block of rooms your room selection may be limited, and some (but certainly not all) TA's will charge cancelation or change fees if you modify the reservation once made. It also would be advisable to learn if credit card payments are made directly to the TA or to the cruise line - the latter being preferable.

As said prior, TA's can not discount current pricing showing with RCI. HOWEVER, if they booked a group prior with lower rates those are locked in for the group. You get the advantage of the group rate regardless if pricing goes up.

As said prior, TA's can not discount current pricing showing with RCI. HOWEVER, if they booked a group prior with lower rates those are locked in for the group. You get the advantage of the group rate regardless if pricing goes up.

You also have to be concerned when locking into a group right if you will be able to get the benefit of price reduction should RCCL's change. Not all group bookings allow the benefit of a reduction in price should RCCL drop theirs.

Archived