Add A Jewish Style Deli on Royal

That disclaimer is only for the items marked with an asterisk. The first two items are cold items which are totally fine (assuming the smoked salmon has proper kosher certification), and the second two specify that they are double-wrapped in aluminum foil. Double-wrapping an item in aluminum foil means that you can cook it in a non-kosher oven and the item will still be kosher.

And while the items sound good, trust me -- they are fairly on par with airplane food :rolleyes: They are pre-packaged meals that come in little plastic tins, somewhat akin to microwave dinners. Not quite as yucky as non-kosher microwave dinners, but definitely nothing compared to the normal fare RCI serves!

The Jewish deli idea is an interesting one, but if they do it, I highly suggest they avoid the word 'kosher' entirely, as a kosher-style deli won't be kosher at all for anyone who truly keeps kosher.

Oy Vey!

Pastrami, corned beef--the real things--are very costly, and I can't imagine that it would be done right. Plus it's just not mainstream enough. Let them try. Then we'll never hear the end of how badly they did it.

Teddie

its not just the sandwiches. Its the cheese blintzes, matzo ball soup, real crisp kosher pickles, potato latkes' , herring with onions, seeded rye bread and that's on top of what everyone else has said. When those from the NE say jewish deli, we don't necessarily mean that its "Kosher", its more of the type of food that is served which would be different, then a Italian or German deli.

But for those of us who live outside the NE, a deli is what you find in a supermarket mostly. And TG we finely got Boars Head about 5 years ago.:D Some Publix and Krogers try to have decent deli, but they don't even come close. For those of us in Florida, think TooJays type of foods if you have one near you.

On Carnival cruise, people are ordering the cornbeef , pastrami and reubens like crazy every single day. Best thing about that cruise line if you ask me.

What qualifies a deli as being "Jewish"? All the cooks would be from the Philippines. I've had lots of great "deli" type sandwiches on cruises.

No that will not do.

You need a nice old yenta named Golda, and a lovable crabby old guy named Hy in a bad looking tux to tell you corny old vaudeville jokes and call you "Dahling" .

I would love to see a Jewish style deli like Katz's or the Carnegie Deli. It sure would be better than Izumi's. You can get good Asian food anywhere but a good Jewish Deli onboard would be great. I know there is a Park Cafe but it's not the same as Cornbeef and Pastrami on Rye, Dill Pickles, Borscht etc.

A lot of people who are of Jewish heritage travel on Royal and even people who are not Jewish love a good Deli. I think Royal made a huge unforgivable mistake by opening Izumi's. A deli would suit a lot of people from kids to adults. Possibly they could do this without a cover charge like the Boardwalk Dog House.

You would get my vote if Royal would open a Jewish Style Deli. Not sure if the Oasis has one but for all ships its a great way to go. There could also be a counter where you can call down and have your order ready at the counter to take back to your stateroom.

Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain are both Jewish and I'm sure they would love to create a special Deli onboard.

Some of the things you post are just odd. There aren't a lot of Jewish style delis in San Francisco either. :rolleyes: There are a lot of delicatessens, but they are of all sorts, including Togo's. I wouldn't classify most of them as Jewish in SF.

I think the last Carnegie Deli we visited was at the Mirage in Las Vegas. :p

That disclaimer is only for the items marked with an asterisk. The first two items are cold items which are totally fine (assuming the smoked salmon has proper kosher certification), and the second two specify that they are double-wrapped in aluminum foil. Double-wrapping an item in aluminum foil means that you can cook it in a non-kosher oven and the item will still be kosher.

And while the items sound good, trust me -- they are fairly on par with airplane food :rolleyes: They are pre-packaged meals that come in little plastic tins, somewhat akin to microwave dinners. Not quite as yucky as non-kosher microwave dinners, but definitely nothing compared to the normal fare RCI serves!

The Jewish deli idea is an interesting one, but if they do it, I highly suggest they avoid the word 'kosher' entirely, as a kosher-style deli won't be kosher at all for anyone who truly keeps kosher.

I have to agree with AVAZAH. The regular Kosher menu is prepackaged, frozen, defrosted and reheated. Unfortunately it looks a lot better on paper than it does in reality and probably tastes better too. Thats not to say that it is inedible but it is a far cry from regular cruise food. But anyone like myself, who orders the Kosher menu, knows what he is going to get and expectations should be realistic. I least they have a varied selection available.

As to the asterik items it is up to the individual traveller how much he wishes to avail himself of non supervised items which are heated up properly in double wrapped foil. Potatoes and vegatables are easier to deal with than fish.

I can just retell a story that happened to me on the NCL Pearl when I ordered chicken for dinner and instead of receiving the usual prepacked item, was given a double foil wrapped whole chicken. When I asked the Maitre D (who by the way was wonderfully helpful throughout the cruise with Kosher issues ) why was the chicken packed like this, he answered that he did not know and would check for me. He came out a few minutes later apologizing profusely saying that the staff could not find the chicken in the freezer so they took a regular chicken, "double wrapped" it as this would "make it Kosher", and solved the problem

Needless to say the "Kosher chicken" was returned and I came back an hour later for a regular defrosted meal.

Getting back to the OP, I too would love to see a Jewish Deli onboard, but a Kosher one, but I don't see either of them happening. It's something to dream about

WE had this same question on Hal's board a couple of months ago, I am also a big jewish deli fan, we go to NYC every year and I always have at least one Pastrami on rye, my wife loves those pickles, a little upset that Stage deli closes last year in NYC. This is another reason I would love RCCL to cruise out of NYC so we can get a pastrami before or after the cruise.

I think we are entering a murky area here between having Kosher service aboard versus Jewish-style Deli. Jewish-style Deli's are NOT necessarily Kosher! If you keep Kosher you know that already. I would like to find a good jewish-style deli on a ship, or at least be able to get a good sandwich and knish.

I wouldn't replace the Windjammer, but perhaps add a deli-counter section with a meat slicer for a limited selection. I'd rather have a limited selection at good-high quality than have a large selection at low quality. Could you imagine what RCI could charge for some Dr. Brown's soda or a proper made egg cream?

I think we are entering a murky area here between having Kosher service aboard versus Jewish-style Deli. quote]

Sorry to disagree but I don't think that this is where the thread is going. As one of the "kosher travellers" I never suggested that RCI or any other cruise line should begin Kosher service. True it is a dream but I know that it will never happen. If I want fresh cooked Kosher food aboard I know what the alternative is--- pay three times as much and go on a Kosherica or similar cruise. So until I win the lottery, it's Weberman's prepacked for me and others

The odds of a Jewish Deli on Royal Caribbean being any good are low. It is difficult enough to even find decent ones in the northeast outside of New York City.

You are so correct.

Having worked at a Kosher deli in NYC (not kosher-style) for a little while, and eating at delis (both kosher and kosher-style) outside of the NY area, I have to agree that it is extremely difficult to find a decent deli [pre-processed corned beef or pastrami sliced from a package meat does not cut it]. There are some delis that I have found around the country that may come close with a dish or two, but it is not the same (finding a good pizza or bagel outside of the tri-state area is also next to impossible [i have even worked at a NY area pizzaria / Italian restaurant]).

Besides the meat, I do not think they would be able to find a good rye bread to be the base of the sandwich. Maybe they could get frozen Gabilla Knishes and reheat, but they would really have to upgrade the quality of the hot dogs on their ships. Mustard should not be a problem, although not sure about the pickes (the stuff in the jars is doable, but not great). What about making a nice brisket? Would they even try to put Tongue on the menu?

I do not intend to sound like a NY food snob, but that is just the way it is. When I went to school in the Midwest, the conversation would always turn to "food back home" whenever talking to someone from the Tristate area.

Besides the cost of the food (there would have to be an added cost if this was done right), would people from outside of the Tri-State/Midatlantic areas actually go for this type of cuisine? Without ham, sausage, and an assortment of cheeses, would the average cruiser partake in this venue? Also, as an above poster mentioned, even good NY delis are almost extinct.

Carnival has a deli with some NY deli types of sandwiches (I have copied the menu below (not sure of how current it is)) -- but not a real Kosher / Kosher style deli menu. Does anyone have any experience at the deli and can comment on taste / quality? Or how popular is their deli?

Cold Sandwiches

Tuna Salad on White Bread

Smoked Salmon on Bagel

Turkey Wrap

Arugula, Roasted Peppter & Mozzarella on Foccacia

Hot Sandwiches

Grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwich

Turkey on Country Roll

Grilled Ruben

Pastrami on Rye

Corned Beef on Rye

Corned Beef & Pastrami Combo

A kosher-style deli may be a slight possibility, and if so, I believe that it would be limited to only NY based ships (Explorer/Quantum), but an all-kosher deli is not something that is highly unlikely.

I would love to see a Jewish style deli like Katz's or the Carnegie Deli. It sure would be better than Izumi's. You can get good Asian food anywhere but a good Jewish Deli onboard would be great. I know there is a Park Cafe but it's not the same as Cornbeef and Pastrami on Rye, Dill Pickles, Borscht etc.

A lot of people who are of Jewish heritage travel on Royal and even people who are not Jewish love a good Deli. I think Royal made a huge unforgivable mistake by opening Izumi's. A deli would suit a lot of people from kids to adults. Possibly they could do this without a cover charge like the Boardwalk Dog House.

You would get my vote if Royal would open a Jewish Style Deli. Not sure if the Oasis has one but for all ships its a great way to go. There could also be a counter where you can call down and have your order ready at the counter to take back to your stateroom.

Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain are both Jewish and I'm sure they would love to create a special Deli onboard.

I would surely enjoy a little Derma (aka: kishka) on the side to go with my tongue sandwich.......yummy. The Cole Slaw better be good also. For anyone visiting the Nassau County area of Long Island, give the Pastrami King in Merrick a shot. It's not the best, but it is pretty good when you have a craving.

Here's the real question.

How much extra are you willing to pay for it?

In NYC, there are "delis" on every corner that will make a sandwich with Boars Head type meats for about $7-10. A "Jewish style" deli like Katz' charges about $20 for a "mile high".

I don't ever remember any cruise line adding anything that costs them money without an added fee.

Here's the real question.

How much extra are you willing to pay for it?

In NYC, there are "delis" on every corner that will make a sandwich with Boars Head type meats for about $7-10. A "Jewish style" deli like Katz' charges about $20 for a "mile high".

I don't ever remember any cruise line adding anything that costs them money without an added fee.

Their is no comparison between Boar's Head cold cuts and nice freshly cooked Pastrami hand carved right out of the steam table.

Johnny Rockets has a $4.95 cover charge per person, and that is crap food. They could surely do something like that with a Jewish Deli on board.

I realize I'm talking about "the other place" on a Royal Caribbean forum, but Carnival's deli has some great Jewish-style items. Corned beef or pastrami on rye are the most notable examples, along with things like a bagel with salmon and cream cheese. I had a corned beef/pastrami combo sandwich from the deli on my Sensation cruise, and it felt like I was leaving out of Tel Aviv instead of Port Canaveral. :D On top of that, the deli was free/included.

I'm pretty sure the deli meats weren't kosher, but they were still very flavorful. Kosher laws require meats to be salted throughout to remove all traces of blood, which helps bring out the flavor. It raises the sodium levels, though.

I would love to see a Jewish style deli like Katz's or the Carnegie Deli. It sure would be better than Izumi's. You can get good Asian food anywhere
... says the person from the SF Bay Area! :)

Where I live, Jewish-style delis are as common as Bubbies and Zaydas at a "Let Me Kvell About My Grandchildren" convention. But decent sushi is rare.

It's all a matter of perspective.

The only comparison if a Boars head type meat and fresh cured meats is the price I will pay. I would never pay more than $8-10 for a processed meat sandwich, but would easily pay $15-20 for a sandwich at a Katz like place.

That being said, what would be a reasonable upcharge. Nothing is free.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you didn't have an upcharge the line would be so long you would never get a sandwich. If it was a real pastrami sandwich, how does $10 sound.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm in for $10 bucks as long as it includes a Dr. Brown's Cream soda, Cole Slaw and a mess of Garlic Pickles. Make a nice Chocolate Egg Cream and I will be in Jewish Heaven (if one exists).

Great thread!

A Jewish Deli on Quantum and Anthem of the Seas makes the most sense.

I think paying a 10.00 charge to have a bit better deli food would be worth the price.

So far all of the specialty restaurants on RCCL ships, have had excellent food..while free restaurants seem to fall short.. IMHO

Love the menu ideas. How about some noodle kugel too. And potato pancakes. :)

I was on the Liberty of the Seas during Hanukkah one year, and they did offer Latkes and donuts after the service. They were good too... and free LOL

Archived