Add A Jewish Style Deli on Royal

Are you talking about the place between Avenue U and Avenue T on Flatbush (same side as Kings Plaza) - if so, I used to go there a lot during the early 90s -- one of my buddy's worked there (he went out to Hollywood in the mid-90s & found mild-success on TV). But any bagel store in Brooklyn beats almost any other bagel I have ever had outside the NY area.

As someone mentioned, you can get "bagels" on RCI ships, but you can never get a real Bagel. They have what they call pizza on RCI ships, even in Sorrentos, but it is not the same as a New York Pizza. I do not think RCI could really repoduce a good NY deli on one of their ships, and if so, it would probably be $20-$25 a sandwich for them to break even.

And no, even "premium" mass-market meats are nowhere even close - for instance, take corned beef. Boar's head corned beef does not look the same as real corned beef (it is not round), it does not smell the same as real corned beef (it would be impossible with the "natural" additives), and it surely does not tase like real corned beef.

FYI -- I am a Cel-Ray person myself (although becoming harder and harder to find these days).

FYI 2 - For good egg creams in Brooklyn, the only place I know of (If you know of anywhere else, do tell) that makes it authentic is the Brooklyn Farmacy in Caroll Gardens.

I believe that is the bagel and bialy place I am thinking about. My Aunt still lives in that area and it is always a treat to go there .

My 1st apparment was in Caroll Gardens, but do not remember that farmacy, but they had great Itilian bakeries. Also agree that you need to be in NYC to get some foods ( Brooklyn docks are just a mile from there did a few Princess cruises out of Brooklyn a few years ago)

It is pretty new - I think it has been there/open only a year or two. I have only there once a few months ago.

The egg cream is the soda part of an ice cream soda. Chocolate syrup, milk, and seltzer.

My dad taught me how to make them-----deeelish.

Zaftigs Deli in Brookline and Natick Ma., have chocolate and Vanilla egg creams on their menu. The chocolate is very good. I never tried the vanilla.

There are round things with holes in the middle that are called bagels. Then there are "real" bagels from a NYC bagel shop that have been boiled in NYC water. There have been studies done that the chemical composition of the NYC water is critical to the production of an excellent bagel.

I think the best bagels and bialys I ever had were from a shop on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn, but my DH taught for 30 years in Staten Island and he swore by a little shop there.

Even the little bakery we had in Kendall Park, NJ (South Brunswick Township, Central Jersey) where they made awesome bread and rolls and better challah than my aunt could get in Queens, they could not produce a NYC bagel.

There was a guy in Atlantic City who imported NYC water and made a killing selling bagels to all the gamblers returning north.

The round things on the ships are okay for a schmear and a little lox, but to call them a "bagel" ......nah.:D

I am just loving this thread. One of the most fun and friendliest in a long time.

Love this thread.

For those of us from eastern Massachusetts. there is Katz Bagel Bakery in Chelsea, Ma. The establishment was opened in 1938, and continues in operation to this day. We lived on the north shore of Massachusetts, but my parents would drive to Chelsea for a bag of Katz's bagels. No local bakery could surpass them.

I now live in central Massachusetts, and just make do with bagels we find locally. They're OK, but not the same.

While I'm not against adding a deli, I think the ones they already have are pretty good (Compass Deli, etc.). I don't think they should take out Izumi or any of the other good restaurants.

The ships have already gone to more processed and bland foods anyway. I'm not sure we need even more processed meats to eat. I'd rather see more options with fresh fruits, vegetables, and interesting spices and flavors. Pastrami and pickles are fine once in a while, but we also need real food aboard, not only food that's processed and preserved so that it no longer resembles anything found in nature.

We eat fresh fruits and veggies every day at home. Sometimes, I just crave a good old-fashioned baloney sandwich, with a half-sour pickle, half-sour pickled tomato, and a mound of sourkraut.

RCCL can add a New York Deli Station to the Windjammer, without closing any other restaurant. Healthy food, which I order most of the time,

will still be available.

All this talk about deli's convinced the King Himself to pick up from Kaufman's Deli tonight. A fine Chicago establishment and a true Jewish Deli. I like the names on the sandwiches too.

I'd like a deli on the ships, but without the frufru food some places add to the menu.

All this talk about deli's convinced the King Himself to pick up from Kaufman's Deli tonight. A fine Chicago establishment and a true Jewish Deli. I like the names on the sandwiches too.

I'd like a deli on the ships, but without the frufru food some places add to the menu.

Do you know if this the deli that the Jeff "Sandwich King" Mauro visited on his show?

I would think that RCCL could have a better selection of cold meats in the Windjammer buffet area. Perhaps even some warmed pastrami, corned beef, and other good cold meats with some good lite rye or dark rye bread. Of course you need the good mustard, not that french's stuff.

The problem though is that the labor involved in making the sandwich. Imagine on a ship the size of the Allure if 200 people wanted a corned beef sandwich. That would take a lot of work.

Or perhaps have some better sandwiches available from room service.

Sorry to be the party pooper and it has been mentioned here...There is no way Royal Caribbean will open a place like this

1, Then they would also have to start places for other ethnic groups and there are dozens out there

2, The rest of the world (like myself) have no clue what you are talking about with a Jewish style deli, I have never heard of it before reading this thread...Not saying I would not like it, don't get me wrong...Just like most of you would have never heard of our Belgium tradition the "fritkot" <-Google it ;) which I would also love to see on a ship :D

Sorry to be the party pooper and it has been mentioned here...There is no way Royal Caribbean will open a place like this

1, Then they would also have to start places for other ethnic groups and there are dozens out there

2, The rest of the world (like myself) have no clue what you are talking about with a Jewish style deli, I have never heard of it before reading this thread...Not saying I would not like it, don't get me wrong...Just like most of you would have never heard of our Belgium tradition the "fritkot" <-Google it ;) which I would also love to see on a ship :D

Fritkot looks like my kind of place. If it's frying, I'm buying! :D

You are not a party pooper. You are confused. A Jewish deli is not for an ethnic group. It is an ethnic style of food. Like there are Asian restaurants on ships, Mexican restaurants, Italian restaurants, Brazilian Restaurants also on ships. All passengers enjoy Italian restaurants, Brazilian restaurants etc, They are not there for Italians and Brazilians!

You are not a party pooper. You are confused. A Jewish deli is not for an ethnic group. It is an ethnic style of food. Like there are Asian restaurants on ships, Mexican restaurants, Italian restaurants, Brazilian Restaurants also on ships. All passengers enjoy Italian restaurants, Brazilian restaurants etc, They are not there for Italians and Brazilians!

I am not confused (I looked it up :D lol), that's because you know what it is...For me I read "Jewish deli"...I have never heard of the country of Jewish or so (<= really no offence intended, just trying to make a point...), being Jewish is by choice and a religion, not because you are born there. All those other restaurant you mentioned are named after the country the food is from...In my opinion totally different.

Plus, I would expect to see by example Chinese people running a Chinese restaurant, know its not that way on the ships, but most other places on land it is, part of the experience imo :).

Fritkot looks like my kind of place. If it's frying, I'm buying! :D

Thanks! Pass by Belgium loads of those in every town and pretty cheap :D.

In combination with the hundreds of Belgian beers it really would make a great venue, plus it would give the opportunity to get decent fries on a Royal Caribbean ship :D LOL We are to death about deepfreeze fries over here :D :D :D

being Jewish is by choice and a religion, not because you are born there. .

That is simply not true. The Jewish religion does not easily welcome converts. Traditionally, they are turned away three times before being allowed to undertake a very, very long course of study and undergo certain rituals prior to conversion.

The vast majority of Jewish people are born Jewish to at least one Jewish parent (traditional Jews only count the mother, not the father) and it is an ethnicity much more than it is a religion. There are millions of people who are Jewish, yet never attend synagogue or practice any of the traditional Jewish laws.

If you study your WWII history you will find that Hitler didn't care a whit if a Jew practiced the religion, as long as they had a certain percentage of Jewish blood in their veins, they went to the concentration camp.

In many European countries before WWII and even in Soviet Bloc countries much later, a Jewish person had this ethnicity written on their passport. A Jew living in Poland was not considered a Pole. He or she was, officially, a Jew. Same for other Eastern European countries. My Paternal grandfather came from a wealthy Beylorussian family who even worked in positions in the Czar's government and they were not considered Russians by the government, they were designated as Jews.

The real question is 'where can I find a deli with the quality of KAtz or the Carnegie outside of NYC'?

There are good ones in Baltimore, average ones in Atlanta and disappointing ones in So. Florida.....somebody help me!!!!!

Denver has a great one, I posted it earlier, Dallas does not. ( 10 days from my Carnegie Pastrami on rye with cole slaw , pickles , and frys and at least 2 Heinkens to wash it down with) did this at 1 am a couple of years ago.

The real question is 'where can I find a deli with the quality of KAtz or the Carnegie outside of NYC'?

There are good ones in Baltimore, average ones in Atlanta and disappointing ones in So. Florida.....somebody help me!!!!!

Katz Deli:

616 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006

Yet I like Lenny and Ziggy's better..also in Houston

And for $5 you could have NY Cheesecake Coffee and Rugulah for dessert and Schoozing. A Schmooze Hour would be where you can ask questions from different departments and you would get 10 percedent off your check if your a C&A Member. There could be some Sabra to drink, Malt Beer, Cream Soda's etc.

There could be a Sandwich Eating Contest, Cheesecake Eating Contest and who can eat the most Pickles in a certain amount of time.

A Deli night where you go behind the scenes to see how your meal is prepared along with an entertainer.

The deli could be open 24 hours just like in New York where later in the night the cover charge is not charged for Dessert for C&A Members.

There could be Klezmer music playing in the background, old sport footage being shown on TV's, Seinfield reruns etc.

taking it too far

I agree and if they have good Bagels, Cream Cheese, Lox and of course Matzo Brei(Matzo with Eggs and Cheese), Salmon with Cream Cheese Omelettes , Corned Beef Hash.

The Windjammer would go out of business. No wait this should replace the Widjammer and have it the included option. A deli is good for breakfast,lunch,dinner desserts its so versatile.

Question here is would you miss the Windjammer? I wouldn't Buffets are a bit passe. They closed a lot of Hometown Buffets in my area. Canned food vs. fresh Deli food. On Formal nights if you don't want to dress up for the MDR you come here.

I've read some poor reviews on the Windjammer . Instead have a large area with large booths where you are served in a sit-down style. This could prevent kids from putting their hands in the food etc.

There could be a no-cover charge fresh Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt and Ciao Bella Gelato at a stand in the Deli with a sitting area similar to a Promenade Cafe thats open 24 hours as well with coffee stations in there. Ben and Jerries would still operate .

I would arrive to port early knowing there was a deli open on embarkation day. I would run to be the first in line to enjoy some good nosh on embarkation day.

Snacks could be presented throughout the day. Instead of the Afternoon Snacks the Windjammer had there could be Spinach Dip and Cheese, Soft Pretzels with Mustard. Freshly baked Scones with Clotted Creme, Tea selections etc.

Also having an old fashioned Soda Fountain could be built on the other side for Afternoon Snacks and late night treats either way this would be cool

delusion

Archived