Sat. 21/09/13 Hoho Buses in Istanbul

There seem to be several hoho buses with various feedback scores

I thought I'd found one and to make sure I enquired whether they pick up at the port and whether I could get on and off anywhere.

The answer I just got is in Italian and I think it says they do NOT pick up at the port and you can only get off at Taksim square, so I am still looking,

We have spent time in Istanbul before, even stayed here for several days and visited all the famous places on foot, but now we are getting too old to wander about for a long time and find that looking down from the Hoho buses really comfortable and interesting.

For the same comfort & a different perspective, have you thought about the ferries?

From Eminonu, just the other side of the Galata Bridge from the cruise berths.

Short routes up the Golden Horn to Eyup or across to the Asian side, or longer routes up the Bosphorus (jump off when you've gone as far as you want, & jump on the next ferry back) or the Prince Islands in the Sea of Marmaris (well worth a wander and a coffee-and-people-watching break for an hour or two on Buyukada ("The Big Island"), very typically Ottoman period, google it.

Ferries are silly-cheap, but you need Turkish Lire.

Or there's a tourist boat which does a partial transit of the Bosphorus, accepts euros.

JB :)

We have been in Istanbul twice (once for 5 days) and do not remember seeing any HOHO bus. They do have an extensive trolley system that will take you to many places including the sultanahmet.

The trams is the cheapest way to get around. Given Istanbul's traffic, I would think a HoHo would be a nightmare.

We are just back from a cruise in Istanbul & there was a hoho bus waiting outside the port - this was the red one. When we walked around & got near the Blue Mosque, there was another hoho company there too.

We did a Bosphorous cruise last year too from Istanbul - can highly recommend that as an alternative.

There might be a ho-ho but you will spend a lot of your time sitting in traffic. We have used the tram on two separate trips both times we were there 2 days..... easy, safe, cheap and f-a-s-t to get from point A to point B (whatever those may be) We are not fans of ho-ho's but this is one place I would not even consider it...... hope it works out for you.

Archived