How long does the Hemingway house take?

dos equis

Hi all,

We're in Key West 8-5pm on a Monday. We have a pub crawl scheduled through Carnival at 11am, but I'd really like to see Hemingway's house first. If we get there right at 9am when it opens, will an hour and 45 minutes be enough time to see everything? Does anyone know if you can leave and come back once you buy a ticket?

Thanks for the help!

It is a guided tour through the house. You can purchase the ticket and come back later, but entering, then leaving and returning won't be so easy.

An hour and 45 minutes is more than enough time. It's been a while since I was in the house, but I don't remember it taking any more than an hour, if that. I think the guided portion was something like 30 minutes, followed by free time in the gardens.

Before or after the tour, you are free to wander around the house and grounds on your own. It's a good idea to do this so you can see some of the artifacts in the room up close. There's a lot of neat things to see and the tour doesn't give you a chance to see most of them up close.

Even with a tour and a wander about on your own, you should be able to do it in less than 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
Set aside 10 - 15 minutes to browse in the book / gift shop. If you get ther early and have to wait until the first tour fills up, check it out.

Pjk

I'm glad you reminded me, there were several great t-shirts in there and mine are now 3 years old.

Yes, you easily can see it in that time so no worries.

We were there when it opened earlier this year. The tour began around 9:30 AM but you could browse first.

You also don't have to do the tour and you can walk it on your own but you still pay the same admission to get in.

Keith

Archived