Cunard vs Celebrity for full transit Panama transit?

jocelysue

How do these cruise lines compare for full transit Panama Canal, speakerwise, Entertainment, food, service, etc.? I realize that X has more shore stops than Cunard . We have never visited Grand Cayman where Cunard goes nor have we visited Cartagena which is one of X's stops.BTW, we are not beach fans. We are a senior couple who enjoys formal nights .which I believe are available on both ships.

We would have a bacony cabin on both (Infinity & QV) and are wondering about the comparative size of the cabins and the amenities. With X we have the drinks 123 package but I believe we can bring as much wine on board as we choose with Cunard (am I wrong on this one) so would much appreciate insight and comments. Please no flaming.DH has some mobility plus some health issues so it's important we choose the correct cruise.

Thanks.

we have done panama 3times with celeb . love it! cartegena is a wonderful place to visit.Cunard is ok - celeb food far superior.packing a jacket for every night on cunard is a pain - makes the suit case too heavy.Cunard entertainment so -so.hope this helps

Cunard will likely have more formal nights than X (but with the revised dress code, not that many more).

A standard balcony on QV is going to be larger than on Infinity. Because of your husband's mobility issues you might want to book an accessible cabin which will be larger on both ships than a standard balcony.

You are still able to bring wine on Cunard.

QV and Infinity are about the same size. QV is a few years newer.

I'm afraid I won't be much help telling you that I've enjoyed both Celebrity and Cunard.

I would prefer a tour in Cartegena. Just make sure there are accessible tours in Cartegena because we did a lot of walking on the tour we chose. We took the island tour in Grand Cayman and it was pretty boring. The highlight was the beach we went to after the tour was over.

On Cunard outside the formal nights, men have to wear a jacket every night. They've just relaxed the dress code so you can go without a tie on selected nights. The ladies dress on the non-formal nights tend towards semi-formal for the ladies. So you have to bring a lot of dressy clothes and wear them all evening. Celebrity will have a specific amount of formal nights. I've sailed on Cunard twice and DH and I prefer the mix of formal, and elegant casual nights on Celebrity.

I would check the cabin size on the ship web site.

Bringing wine on board usually means you can have it in your cabin. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you want the wine in the dining room you still have to pay a corkage fee.

Your replies have been great and are helping us decide. Since we are able to have a "sweet sixteen" cabin on Infinity, apparently the balconies there are quite large. Looking at deck plans doesn't give either the exact size of the cabin nor the balcony.:(

Packing a variety of clothes for more formal evenings could turn out to be a problem as we also have to bring DH's rollator so "cumbersome" in out as far as airplanes are concerned. But we do love to play"dressup";)

Cartagena does sound ever so much more interesting than Grand Cayman where we'd most likely stay on board. So although we might prefer Cunard for the ambience, we're of the opinion that Celebrity may well be worth the try. Plus we'd be spending Easter on board which should be a plus.

Still considering. Still undecided.:confused: But you are helping

BTW, who has the better Baked Alaska and lobster (LOL)?

We have cruised with both Celebrity and Cunard and while we enjoyed the Celebrity Summit, I think the Queen Victoria would be a great choice for you and your husband.

We cruised on the sister ship Queen Elizabeth, elegant, beautiful public rooms, very formal, lovely shops and lounges and formal afternoon tea in the Queens Ballroom can't be beat.

As Scrapnana mentioned the balconies on the QV will be much bigger than Celebrity. Also, the food on Cunard is top-notch along with the service.

Have a great cruise whichever line you choose.

Jonathan

Archived