Indian Food on Freedom?

My husband and I are in love with Indian food lately and he asked if they have it on our upcoming cruise. I had read a review awhile back and someone mentioned some being in the Windjammer but I didn't know if that was a normal occurrence, or a special day occurrence or just a one time thing? Just wondering if we'll get to enjoy some or go thru withdraws? :p

I can't speak for Freedom directly, but on our last two cruises (Enchantment of the Seas - Nov 2011, Vision of the Seas - Nov. 2012) there was one Indian dish on the menu in the main dining room each evening, generally as the vegetarian option. In the Windjammer I recall many lunches (and presumably dinners) had an Indian dish, but not all. On the days that didn't have an Indian dish, they usually had something else equally exotic from some Asian area.

I had a basic tikka masala on Adventure in Jan 2010, and that's what started my own personal Indian food adventure...

Yes! Chicken Tikka Masala and naan bread are my downfalls! Hubby loves Lamb Korma and if I have Kheer to eat for dessert, I'm in heaven.

If there's nothing on the menu, ask your waiter, our last cruise on Freedom, I commented that I loved Indian food, just not the vegetarian stuff, from that night on, I was brought a different meat dish each night, along with Nan bread.

The WJ did on our recent Alaska cruise....But I must say it didn't seem very popular and wonder why they offered several items on several evenings :confused:

I'm thinking people just need to try it. :) It's delish.

I'm thinking people just need to try it. :) It's delish.

And that would have been the easy way for people to try it...on a buffet...sorry...I also wouldn't try it..not interested :eek:

bon appetit :)

If you mention it to your waiter or headwaiter in the MDR they may be able to provide you with an Indian entree at dinnertime once or twice . We usually mention that we like Indian and they have always offered to prepare something for us and it is always very good.

If you mention it to your waiter or headwaiter in the MDR they may be able to provide you with an Indian entree at dinnertime once or twice . We usually mention that we like Indian and they have always offered to prepare something for us and it is always very good.

I can vouch for that. I always ask for this and I have never been let down with either the request, or the authenticity of the dish.

We like it a little more spicy that the US taste, and they always manage to come up with the goods. :)

My husband and I are in love with Indian food lately and he asked if they have it on our upcoming cruise. I had read a review awhile back and someone mentioned some being in the Windjammer but I didn't know if that was a normal occurrence, or a special day occurrence or just a one time thing? Just wondering if we'll get to enjoy some or go thru withdraws? :p

the buffets almost always have a few asian and Indian dishes daily.

depending on your cabin category or C&A level, it MIGHT be possible to get a 'real' Indian meal prepared via an actual Indian Chef ( who normally cooks for the crew)

Last cruise we sailed with a gentleman of Indian descent( also in a suite) who mentioned off hand that he was jonesing for a curry to the Concierge. next night he got one. in the MDR one night the table next to us got what appeared to be Kimchee or Guksu.. he was Korean on his honeymoon.

far better and more authentic cuisine vice what was served to the masses.

If they can accommodate, they will. A lot of the MDR vegetarian dishes may be Indian inspired as well.

I can't speak for Freedom directly, but on our last two cruises (Enchantment of the Seas - Nov 2011, Vision of the Seas - Nov. 2012) there was one Indian dish on the menu in the main dining room each evening, generally as the vegetarian option. In the Windjammer I recall many lunches (and presumably dinners) had an Indian dish, but not all. On the days that didn't have an Indian dish, they usually had something else equally exotic from some Asian area.

I had a basic tikka masala on Adventure in Jan 2010, and that's what started my own personal Indian food adventure...

All new menu's went into effect late 2012 /early 2013 this past year and no longer have any Indian Food Items on the nightly MDR menu.

We sailed on Freedom last August after the new menu rollout, and on Mariner in March with the new menu as well.

I mentioned both times to my waiters that I love indian food, and they told one of the dining room managers and I was able to have indian food any night I wanted.

Now, I have no idea what I got, as it's not on the menu, and it's pretty authentic as much of their crew is of Asian descent and it's spicy, and I loved it.

Even with the new menus sometimes I'm not inspired so I go with the indian. It's delicious. Make sure you talk with your waiter and ask if it's possible and they will do their best to help you out.

Yes! Chicken Tikka Masala and naan bread are my downfalls! Hubby loves Lamb Korma and if I have Kheer to eat for dessert, I'm in heaven.

Information that Bcarney posted is old. New menu's went into effect late 2012/2013 and there is no longer Indian Dishes on the menu nightly as in the past. There are generally one or 2 items in the Windjammer.

There was fantastic Indian food in the WJ on Liberty in May.

I'm not vegetarian but some of the vegetable curries were incredible and they were cooked by the Indian chef who cooks for the staff.

I got the impression that it wasn't that popular with the American passengers as it was mainly European accents that I heard around the area.

It would be a boring place though if we all liked the same thing :)

I wonder about the possibility of Thai food, like shrimp pad thai. I don't think I've noticed any Thai on any cruise. I'd like to try Indian food, it would give me new possibilities when going out to eat. All I've had is the bread,and it was good.

They took the Indian off the nightly MDR menus but like I said, you can request and see what happens. They still had Indian on the Jade buffet section at lunch some days, and some days they had poppadams too. (this was on Ex)

Last cruise there was a meat and veg curry plus rice in the windjammer at lunch. Sometimes they are in a separate area and not with the other hot dishes. Even had a potato curry with my eggs for breakfast once! (There were a lot of Brits on my last cruise, so this may have been an influencing factor.)

On the old MDR dinner menus, the vegetarian dish always seemed to be something Indian. However it looks like this has changed with the new menus.

There were a couple of Indian dishes almost every day in Windjammer for lunch on Indy.

This has been true on just about every RCCL ship we have sailed and there have been many. Also, as another poster mentioned, there has been at least one Indian main course on the MDR dinner menu. I have never tried any of them, but I have talked with folks who seemed to like them. I hope you do.:)

And that would have been the easy way for people to try it...on a buffet...sorry...I also wouldn't try it..not interested :eek:

bon appetit :)

The first time I tried it was at a buffet on a cruise...I'm so happy I did!

LOVE IT!!!:D

Archived