Thrift Shops

Calkacky

So, I've been on a weight loss journey and have lost a little over 100 pounds to date. I went on a cruise in June and basically had a whole new summer wardrobe as nothing from the prior summer fit me. Now, my friend and I have planned a Carribbean cruise for this December and I'm kinda nervous about the clothes situation. I need to be able to wear summer clothes but doubt that most of what I have now will fit in December. A lot of it is already getting quite big. I can still get thru this summer with what I have but have my doubts about still being able to wear much of it in December which leads to my question:

For those of you who shop thrift shops, can you get summer clothes in the winter? I hate to buy stuff now as I have no idea what size I might be. If I can, I'd rather check thrift shops later in the year just to buy a few items to get by.

Thanks for any advice!

First off - congrats on your weight loss! You must feel/look amazing!!

We take a trip every winter, and are big thrift/consignment store shoppers. I always go out in the Nov - Jan timeframe to look for a couple new things for vaca. There is always a few things out - I usually shop 2-3 different stores and find what I need. Minneapolis has a ton if thrift stores though - not sure about your locale.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, but....

Honestly - I've had terrible luck finding shorts (at all!) at thrift stores. No clue why - I'm in NC, we have a need for shorts:p I've found a few pairs in the spring and early summer. I went to a thrift store in Austin TX when I was there for a business trip in May and they had lots, and I even bought a bathing suit and a half (one piece and a tankini top) and they had a lot more dresses than I can find locally as well. I have one consignment store nearish that has dresses but they can be expensive....So I guess you have to know your market - next time you're in, ask if they have a policy on seasonal clothing or if they just put out what they have, period.....Good luck! Congrats on your weight loss! I've lost 60# in the past year and I can't remember what fall & winter clothing I have that will fit since I was actively losing during the cool weather and I didn't want to buy too much during that period. Oops:eek:

For those of you who shop thrift shops, can you get summer clothes in the winter? I hate to buy stuff now as I have no idea what size I might be. If I can, I'd rather check thrift shops later in the year just to buy a few items to get by.

My experience with thrift shops is that selection/availability is pretty random. One week there may be PLENTY of a particular item/season, after having very little selection on that item a week or two prior. In the two I frequent in the city, one always has a variety of seasons available, while the other one is usually "current season only", pretty much. However, most thrift stores do not have space to store out-of-season stuff, so I would think it gets to the sales floor if it gets donated.

Our rinky-dink badly run local thrift store had an enormous rack of shorts last year in October (snow was falling here in October), but pretty much NONE this summer.

For me, when I need something very specific, the best strategy is to check the thrift store often. So possibly start thrifting a month pre-cruise???? And in the meantime, check out the thrift stores around you to get a sense of how they stock stuff. Is it "this season" only, or is there a variety of seasons?

Thanks for the responses. I live in the Dallas area which is quite large so I'm sure there's most likely a selection of thrift stores. From the responsese here, it seems it will be hit or miss though. I really don't want to buy stuff now that might not fit me in December, but I don't want to risk not finding "cute stuff" so shopping now and buying some stuff that is too small be my best bet. And, hey, it may be more of an incentive to get the weight loss going again. I've never shopped thrift stores, but think I'm going to for this cruise so that I can save money. Maybe if I buy some too small stuff now from Thrift stores, it won't be a big deal if it doesn't fit come December since I won't have spent as much money had I bought it new from a retailer.

Thanks again for the insight!

Congrats on your weight loss! I am also in the midst of losing and I have bought a lot of things at thrift shops during the process. I just hate spending too much money on things that won't fit in a couple months. With that said, if I find cute things that are a size or two smaller then I wear now, I go ahead and buy them and hang onto them for later. When they are only $4-5 (or less if you can find them on a 1/2 price day), it's worth it to me to snatch them up when I can. If they are the wrong season when they fit, I can always donate them. Good luck with your shopping!

I would also look at ebay . A lot of sellers have shorts all year . Another place to look is Lands End in the sale section. You could also check out Bealls that is the Florida dept.store and we have shorts all year .Congratulations on the weight loss .

Years ago when I lived in Dallas I had really good luck finding clothes at ReThreads at LBJ and Preston Road. I looked on the internet and they are still there. It's a higher end consignment store...rethreadsofdallas.com

I am not sure what size you will be, but there are quite a few of us on the recycling thread that are losing weight and may have what you are looking for. Let us know the sizes and pieces and I bet a few of us can help.

Congrats on the weight loss! :D

Lisa

Archived