Canada/New England Cruises......Lobster Ports......

sail7seas

On the wonderful Canada/New England Boston to Montreal and the return cruises, ONE of the best things about that itinerary for those who do not live in this region is Lobster in every port.

Seeing as we hear on this Board about how some people want multiple orders on lobster night aboard, do any of you take into consideration the wonderful lobster in every port when choosing to book these cruises? Look forward to lobster for lunch just about every day?

I was thinking about this today when I called my local lobster pound to order a bunch of 3-4 pound hard shell lobsters, pounds and pounds of shrimp for shrimp cocktails and great clams for steaming to serve our friends on Monday. We'll all feast on wonderful lobsters and then enjoy the Boston Pops Concert on DH's new TV.

Now, given the choice or still being on Maasdam or cooking lobsters.......being aboard definitely wins!! :)

Not that I would recomend it but rventhe McDonalds in the Maritimes have a lobster roll.

There is a wonderful array of restaurants that have terrific lobster and other seafood dishes.

enjoy!

jan

Sail or any other Bostonians,

Can you recommend a good seafood restaurant for us to try your delicious seafood when in Boston. It does not have to be top of the range, just one that has delicious fresh seafood on the menu.

Jennie

I really, really hate recommending restaurants.....all that stuff about food being subjective and all that...:)

In Boston proper, a restaurant which goes by the name of "The No Name Restaurant" is casual and not outrageously priced and many think it dependable and consistent for fresh seafood. It is in the general area toward Black Falcon Cruise Terminal and you wouldn't have trouble getting directions.

Jimmy's Harborside is on a wharf very near Black Falcon....actually, we go by it when we go to Maasdam. It's been there for years and years and while we have not been there for a while, I feel reasonably safe saying you will get a good (though not necessarily inexpensive) baked stuffed lobster there. They have always served a good meal.

Only my opinion, my I do NOT recommend Anthony's Pier 4 which we think to be very touristy. Many others think it the place to go; we do not. Many years ago it was good but not in recent years IMO A lot of folks will say.....Oh, that's the place to go. No.... I suggest you do not.

We're North of Boston and when we go into the city, we hardly ever go for lobster. We have that in all our local places and think them so wonderful we get our fill here and I often make it at home....as I will on Monday.

Hope this helps.... I'll think about other places you might enjoy.

Oh Sail, You can bet one of the reasons we chose this up coming cruise is for the Sea Food. DH and I both love lobster and shrimp. I also love clams and mussels. We most definitely plan to have our fill of fresh Lobster. As we had dinner this evening we were thinking about how one week from right now we will already be on "Your" Maasdam:)

Another great lunch can be had at Testa's in Bar Harbor. Straight up the street directly across from where you exit the tender terminal. The restaurant is on the right hand side just a few small blocks up the hill.

Sail,

Thanks so much for those recommendations. I do know that food is very subjective but both my DH and self love seafood and as long as it is fresh and not overcooked and served very simply we are happy. To us, a lobster or crayfish (as we have down here), served cold with mayonaise on the side is heaven. We also love Lobster Mornay. ;)

We are planning to have it on Friday 15th, the day before we sail.

Thanks also Mark, we will also check your recommendation out.

Jennie

Sail and Mark, Thanks so much for the recommendations.

Sail, I am glad you are also excited for us. We are getting really excited here. This is such a different cruise/vacation for us. We are still holding a small place in our heart that we might get our upgrade. I don't know why but I seem to think we might find out at the pier but we will have to pay a hefty price for it, which we would do:o But if we don't we know we will still have a wonderful time. I already ordered a bottle of champagne for our cabin with chocolate covered strawberrys.

Thanks,

Robert and Cheryl,

Lisa and DH,

Jennie and DH........

ALL OF YOU HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Happy to hear some of my comments have been helpful to you. The next best thing to cruising HAL is talking about it. :) ....and where better than here on CC ? ;)

*****Lisa.....for some reason, I, too, think you are going to get a great surprise and land in an "S". I have no idea why I think this will happen but maybe it is because I know you so hope for it. I, too, hope it for you.

If it doesn't happen (and you know the ship is more than sold-out), you will have a great time regardless. Enjoy!

Champagne and chocolate strawberries. What could be bad?!?! :D

Sail,

Thanks so much for those recommendations. I do know that food is very subjective but both my DH and self love seafood and as long as it is fresh and not overcooked and served very simply we are happy. To us, a lobster or crayfish (as we have down here), served cold with mayonaise on the side is heaven. We also love Lobster Mornay. ;)

We are planning to have it on Friday 15th, the day before we sail.

Thanks also Mark, we will also check your recommendation out.

Jennie

Jennie....I just remembered a restaurant

Turner Fisheries as another 'fresh fish place' you may wish to consider. It is located at the Westin Copley Place.

We also have a local 'chain' called Legal Seafood. It is hugely successful and way above what most normal 'chains' are. They have about 6 locations and are very popular. VERY fresh seafood served the way you want it. Simple presentations and always reliable. Their Boston Clam Chowder is considered by many to be THE best. In Boston, they are located at Long Wharf, 255 State Street (Atlantic Avenue). There is another location at Prudential Center (800 Boylston Street) which is where HAL's most used hotel (Sheraton Boston) is located. (tele) 617-266-6800. We have a location near us and I never hear of our friends being disappointed at our location.

In my Boston childhood, we used to go to Durgin Park for lobsters and Indian Pudding.

Does it still have a good reputation? Anyone else remember Indian Pudding?

susan.

Yes, I think they are still in business. They may be one of the oldest, continuously serving restaurants in the country. My father always liked their Indian Pudding and though we don't go there, I'd be surprised if they stopped serving it....assuming they are still open. :)

You probably also remember the Union Oyster House....also 'an oldie but goodie'.

Jennie,

Although we always have our lobster at home I was going to suggest Legal Seafood, too, or perhaps The Union Oyster House. Glad that sail gave you the locations of Legal Seafood restaurants in Boston.

I definitely agree with sail about Anthony's Pier 4...stay away.

Good luck!

One of our favorites that has not yet been mentioned is the Naked Fish. It's located near Faneuil Hall. If I remember correctly, they do not serve lobster for lunch, but offer it for dinner.

Our other favorites are Union Oyster House, Atlantic Fish Company (near the Prudential Center in Boston's Back Bay), Legal Seafood, and Durgin Park. The list goes on...

BTW, I'm from New England and we always enjoy an authentic lobster in port on our C/NE cruises. I very rarely, if ever, order lobster for dinner when on the ship. It doesn't compare.

We just were on a NY to Reykjavik cruise on Seven Seas Navigator. We ate at both the Legal Seafoods restaurant on Long Wharf in Boston and at the West Street Cafe in Bar Harbor.

I'm not a lobster fan, but I do like fresh fish. I had the best Boston Scrod ever at Legal Seafoods. It was SO fresh.... After that we toured the New England Aquarium across the way. It is not expensive, and very worthwhile if you are looking for something to do in Boston. They had a great jellyfish exhibit on last month.

My wife had the lobster lunch at West End Cafe in Bar Harbor, and she said it is as good as ever although the price has gone up a bit. It still is very reasonable at about $17 for the full lunch including drink and dessert.

Personally, I don't think the Legal Seafood at the airport is nearly as good as the others. It's fine but we have always enjoyed our food more at the other locations.

Naked Fish is good and we go there regularly. It is Not a place to go for lobster/shellfish IMO and the prices are a little higher than some of the other places.

I always have the seabass there and while I really like it, I hesitated about recommending that restaurant.

The Naked Fish at Quincy Market/Fanuel Hall is always very crowded.

We go to the one North of Boston on Route One.

Thanks everyone especially Sail for the recommendations.

Legal Seafood seems to be very popular. As we are staying at the Sheraton in Prudential Centre (not using HAL but booked it independently) we may eat there as it seems very close to the hotel though I do love eating overlooking water.

We will just have to play it by ear and see how well we get to know the city before dinner on Friday night. Thanks also for the phone numbers as we would prefer to book as we do here.

Jennie

LAFFNVEGAS, (Lisa)

I just would like to wish you and your DH a great cruise next week. I won't be posting after tomorrow so won't know what your impressions will be of the Maasdam before we board her on the 16th.

Hopefully all her engines will be working and there will be no more troubles whilst you are on her.

Happy and safe sailing.

Jennie

Archived