Tell me of inside cabin for 4 people

Kassandra

"Huge" is a relative term and when used in conjunction with cruise ship cabins means "the size of a very small hotel room".

Main deck J cabins aren't even that big. Yes, they are larger than the 160 sq ft inside I had on Princess with just one other person, but otherwise it was no bigger than standard balcony and oceanview cabins I've had on other lines.

Main deck J cabins aren't even that big. Yes, they are larger than the 160 sq ft inside I had on Princess with just one other person, but otherwise it was no bigger than standard balcony and oceanview cabins I've had on other lines.

However they are significantly larger than the outside cabins directly across the passageway. Within inches, for every three outside cabin doors, there are two inside cabin doors.

That's about 1 1/2 times larger than the outside cabins, with a different configuration, too.

However they are significantly larger than the outside cabins directly across the passageway. Within inches, for every three outside cabin doors, there are two inside cabin doors.

That's about 1 1/2 times larger than the outside cabins, with a different configuration, too.

They're not as deep as the outside cabins across the hall though. They're roughly 14 feet x 14 feet. Yes, I measured.

So very "do-able"...so much so we are doing it again!!

We were in L2664 on the Volendam for an Alaskan cruise back in August 2011. The only thing we would change is we would seperate the lower bed into two twins which would make a bit more room.

Here is an inside look, you can see my then 6 year old on the pull down bunk (he wasn't sleeping up there) and the sofa made into a bed in the bottom right of the photo.ry%3D400

I was just unbacking when I took this pictures so this was messier than it was all week until I went to pack.

If you are organized it is a breeze. We even had two weeks and two seasons of clothes, plus formal wear for the cruise and still had room for everything. Each of my children had a drawer under the bed. DH and I each had a drawer in the desk and shared one. We didn't even use the drawer in the beside tables. There is lots of room in the bathroom with a long shelf under the counter/sink and shelves behind the mirror.

I always pack a large ziplock bag for each child for each day and that way I know DD won't wear purple underwear under white pants, etc. Now they are larger I don't think that will work, well not for DS anyway!

We left the TV on all night on the bow camera (sound off) and then when the sun rose the cabin got lighter. Never a problem. I also brought a battery LED OTT light but never used it.

The ship was easy to navigate and we enjoyed it very much.

ry%3D400

This New Years we are boarding the Ryndam and doing it all over again.

ry%3D400

I won an award for this photo taken off the bow....I was there all by myself!

ry%3D400

Smooth sailing and enjoy! Ask any questions and I will tell you how we managed.

ry%3D400

Are all pull out sofa beds twin size on inside categories? We had an obstructed ocean view cabin once with a double pull out sofa bed. Are there any insides with double sofa beds?

That would depend on the ship class, the category, and sometimes an exception in the category. I have stayed in a couple of insides that were quad with a double bed. They were the "square" K-category cabins on S-class ships. The other K-cabins are the rectangular shape.

That would depend on the ship class, the category, and sometimes an exception in the category. I have stayed in a couple of insides that were quad with a double bed. They were the "square" K-category cabins on S-class ships. The other K-cabins are the rectangular shape.

I wonder if I have a square or rectangle. I'll have to check when I get home LOL

Looks like our cabin is a rectangle. Off to look at other cabins/categories :( I don't want our girls sleeping on a pull down bed (I'm afraid of falls).

This is what the HAL website says the cabin looks like. So, it does look like there is a double pull out sofa bed (not the pull down bunk). I'm so confused. LOL

DeckPlansFull.action%3Fship%3Dam_2%26deck%3Dm

You really can't tell from the sketch. Do other sketches show when there's a bed coming out of the ceiling above the queen bed? If so, then this would have a double sleeper.

Your problem is going to be finding a double sleeper that isn't already booked. You could find them, then go on a waiting list. Maybe that would work out for you?

Have you tried looking at the sticky at the top of the page? Your cabin may be there. Also, check for cabin numbers of the same cabin on the other R-class ships (sometimes the numbers for the same cabin differ), and look for those on that site.

I can't remember your cabin number for this cruise. I just checked the Roll Call, thinking I may have seen it there, but apparently not. We must have chatted about it privately. If I remembered, I might be able to add some more information.

You really can't tell from the sketch. Do other sketches show when there's a bed coming out of the ceiling above the queen bed? If so, then this would have a double sleeper.

Your problem is going to be finding a double sleeper that isn't already booked. You could find them, then go on a waiting list. Maybe that would work out for you?

Have you tried looking at the sticky at the top of the page? Your cabin may be there. Also, check for cabin numbers of the same cabin on the other R-class ships (sometimes the numbers for the same cabin differ), and look for those on that site.

I can't remember your cabin number for this cruise. I just checked the Roll Call, thinking I may have seen it there, but apparently not. We must have chatted about it privately. If I remembered, I might be able to add some more information.

Thanks, Ruth! K 2671 :) I'll go do everything you mentioned. I don't think it's on the sticky, but I'll check again.

Just spoke with a PCC and he said only the neptune suites have double pull out beds. That doesn't sound right to me, but I can't seem to understand the ship's deck plans to see if any quad outsides have double pull out beds. :( For sure the k2671 we're booked in is only a twin pull out, so we have to find a different cabin/category.

Please, no posts of 'Don't do it, you will hate it' or 'Spring for a verandah'.

Those options are not available!

I will be cruising with family, some not so well off, and using the 3rd/4th for free option.

What are the cabins like? Anybody do this and give some useful suggestions on how to pack more lightly/deal with space considerations, helpful hints etc?

MUCH APPRECIATED!

My suggestions are that if you are going to have four people in your cabin are, please remember the following:

Please keep your conversations to a normal level as to not disturb those in cabins around yours.

Keep all hotel service charges in place, do not remove or lower them because you have four people in your cabin.

Consider tipping your room steward extra for the extra work that will need to be done in your cabin, based on four people are in your cabin.

Be prepared to pay for any extras that the free 3rd and 4th guests incur onboard.

Have a great cruise, despite somewhat cramped quarters!

soccer

Just spoke with a PCC and he said only the neptune suites have double pull out beds. That doesn't sound right to me, but I can't seem to understand the ship's deck plans to see if any quad outsides have double pull out beds. :( For sure the k2671 we're booked in is only a twin pull out, so we have to find a different cabin/category.

BTW, his name was Georgio and he had a VERY bad attitude. You could tell he wanted to be anywhere except on the phone with me.

The girls sleep in twin beds now. I'm actually thinking a twin is even big enough for 2 girls (3 and 5 at time of sail). 6 year old with either be in with a family member or sleep in the pull down bed.

Mary, after you posted your cabin number I checked the deck plans for the lowest three decks. I didn't see any that fit your criteria.

Mary, after you posted your cabin number I checked the deck plans for the lowest three decks. I didn't see any that fit your criteria.

I know :( Looks like we're going to have to stay with what we've got for now. :)

There are no balconies available, and even if there were, I'd be nervous about little kids climbing on the railing. . . So. . . yeah. Hmm.

Hi Ruth!

Thanks for the great information; I did read one review where someone said below the dining room they heard vacuuming at midnight. We will be careful about cabin selection, thanks!!

We were on the Venice to Venice round trip together; I think your niece was traveling with you? I remember we had a nice chat on Santorini, and I snapped a photo of niece riding the donkey down the hill. :)

We were on the Venice to Venice round trip together; I think your niece was traveling with you? I remember we had a nice chat on Santorini, and I snapped a photo of niece riding the donkey down the hill. :)

Now I remember! :) That was my older granddaughter on her second cruise with me. She just graduated from a 5-year college course, and has started her own grown-up life. I don't expect she'll ever have time for those kinds of adventures with me again. :(

Now I remember! :) That was my older granddaughter on her second cruise with me. She just graduated from a 5-year college course, and has started her own grown-up life. I don't expect she'll ever have time for those kinds of adventures with me again. :(

Aww! But you have that one to remember!

Ok, so taking your advice, I have on hold an I-category, I 6079. They only had two I cabins left and we really didn't want to be below anything that would possibly make noise (I read reviews of noise from Queens Lounge, etc) The K cabins are not quad.

Thanks again for all your wonderful wisdom! :)

I agree, it's not hard to do. We did it on our last cruise because we didn't want to wait either. My question was more about the cabin steward's willingness. The term, "did not like the idea," was really what my question was about.

I would agree, if we asked and they said that I would have a problem with that.

We just returned home from a cruise (another cruiseline) and shared an inside with my DH and 2 teenage children (17 yr son & 15 yr daughter). It was fine as we spent most of our free time outside the cabin. My suggestions are 1)make sure you develops a bathroom schedule and ask for extra towels 2)bring an extension cord...straighteners, hairdryers, chargers 3)unpack and store the suitcases under the bed and lastly 4)space is cramped so make sure everyone picks up after themselves, it gets messy quick. You will have a great time!

Ok, so taking your advice, I have on hold an I-category, I 6079. They only had two I cabins left and we really didn't want to be below anything that would possibly make noise (I read reviews of noise from Queens Lounge, etc) The K cabins are not quad.

Thanks again for all your wonderful wisdom! :)

Glad I could help. Hope the cabin is one of the large-large, and that you have a wonderful time.

Archived