Maybe Some Good News Coming Soon

kitty9

My sister spoke to a woman named Joan, who's head of Guest Services for Celebrity. She told her that Celebrity needs to come up with some better single supplements for their cruises, and Joan said Celebrity will soon be rolling out lower SS for some of their cruises. They won't announce these, but it will be up to your travel agent to call Celebrity and find out which cruises will be having the lower SS. I'm in touch with my TA and he's keeping on Celebrity's case to find out which cruises will be included in the lower SS. I will post here as soon as I find anything out.

Thanks, Kitty, I think there are a lot of people here who would appreciate that information. I got skewered on the Crystal board because I made an inquiry on single supplements. A poster implied that those looking to pay less than 200% are cheap.

Roz

Roz: I know the feeling, I'm currently under attack on the Oceania board for having been so bold as to state my case on prohibitive single supplements!! I'm beginning to think it is not only the cruise lines who are unwelcoming of solo passengers but the passengers too!!! Stupid thing is I'm sure there must be many solo travellers who spend just as much, if not more, once onboard a cruise ship than many of those couples do!!! Anne

I spend as much alone as we did together. My travel/vacation budget is the pretty much same as when I late hubby and I traveled together. My bar bill is way bigger now traveling alone since he was diabetic and could not/did not drink. I am good for a couple froo froos/day plus several bottles of wine over a 7 day cruise. I have more of a tendancy to book cruise line excursions as a single female. As a couple we generally booked our own even back in the before internet days. Also, since hubby was a bit of a slob the cabin steward had MUCH more work (= time spent) to do in our cabin. I never have stuff all over the desk/vanity or sink counter. Makes for faster cleanups and only 1 bed needs to be made/changed. Again, a time saver. Wait staff in dine room also had extra trips for hubby as he generally wanted a second entree.

Roz, don't worry about the poster who went after you. He, for some reason, loves to go on the boards and behave in a not so nice manner. Believe me, Crystal's passengers are in no way like him. We are a friendly group.

Many here might be surprised to know that Crystal's per diems can actually be less than on Celebrity. I'm looking at a South America cruise for '06, and Crystal comes out way ahead by more than $5000, when you look at single supplements and Crystal Society discounts. Of course, I'm looking at booking cabins that are similar for each cruise line, and not looking at an inside on Celebrity and a verandah on Crystal. But to book a verandah cabin of the same size on Crystal (cat B---249 sqft) and Celebrity (Sky Suite---251 sqft), Celebrity is way more expensive for a single.

Thanks for all of your comments/insights. People who are in long term relationships often don't realize the challenges singles sometimes face. Because I'm not part of a couple, there have been instances where I didn't receive a social invitation, or was made to feel like a 5th wheel if I did attend.

Cruising is one environment where I can truly say I've been made to feel welcome by staff, couples, families, and other singles. Guess it's because everyone is generally in a good mood on a cruise. ;) I wouldn't go to a bar alone in a strange city, but think nothing of a having a pre- or post-dinner drink in a cruise ship lounge.

For safety and security, I book the ship's excursions. I also play bingo, open an internet account, buy a few items in the ship's shops, and raise a glass or two. I treat the staff respectfully and don't leave a mess for the cabin steward.

Kitty, I agree with you that Celebrity's pricing has gone out of sight. Everyone's 2006 fares are higher, but Celebrity's seem to have gone up much higher if you compare on a % basis. Both Celebrity and RCI seem to be unwavering on the 200% single supplement. It will be interesting to see what Celebrity comes up with. Keep us posted.

Roz

I agree with all of you. I have been cruising for years, mostly with my now adult daughter for whom "the Bank of MOM" is closed and it is very hard to find a deal or someone to travel with. I'm limited also as in education I only have my summers to travel. I really want to go on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in Aug., but it looks like I won't be going unless something in a single or share comes along that is affordable. I am spoiled and I do like my balcony cabin, so it's a little harder with those cabins.

Perhaps someday we can convince ships that we love to sail also and I feel for a single, it's the nicest way to travel.

Archived