Parental Consent Form ~ Difficult ex-spouse

I have been reading the threads regarding parental consent forms and haven't been able to find the question to my answer. Cruise Critic members, please help me out.

DH, DD, DSIL(new and improved ;)) and DGD, along with myself will be cruising in two weeks. My daughter just remarried and we will be traveling with her four year old daughter. She does have primary custody. She does not have a notartized parental consent form........ex-spouse is, shall we say, 'difficult' to deal with. Took two attempts at even obtaining a passport card for my granddaughter since he had to give permission. If my daughter brings along her copy of divorce papers proving she has primary cutody, will this be accepted in lieu of a parental consent form? Is there any alternative to the parental consent form? Surely someone else has an ex-spouse that is less than cooperative......please help. Thank you.

When we sailed on NCL I was told on the phone that I needed the form signed because I was brining my son without his father (my ex). It also had to be notarized. Here in Canada it is not easy to get something notarized, unless you pay a lawyer. Thankfully the legal counsel at my work could do it. So I hauled my ex into work with me and got the form signed without issue and for no cost.

When I got the port they didn't even ASK for it. And when I said 'Don't you need the parental consent form?' I was told it was only required if I was bringing children that I didn't have custody of, like if my son brought a friend.

So check carefully if you actually need it. This is just MY experience, so I'm not saying I'm 100% right.

I don't think Carnival really cares about the custody situation, it's more like to be the different countries you visit that will care.

I know Mexico requires them for land vacations, but from others here, you're not likely to be asked about it when getting off the ship in port. You might have an issue if you miss the ship however, and try to fly back to the US.

Chances are, you won't need it, but I'd check with the customs requirements of each country you will visit to determine if the individual countries require something.

I too have a difficult ex. Every time we cruise it is a song and a dance to try to get the proper notorized letter from the ex. The first time, I actually had to complain to my ex about not getting me the letter in front of my son and letting him know that the boys couldn't go with out it. I don't like bringing my dislike of and problems with my ex-husband up in front of the kids...but after six months of trying, several thousands of dollars spent, and only a three weeks before the cruise...it was the only way I could get him to give me the permission letter.

The boys have now been on seven cruises (five with CCL, one with NCL, and one with RCCL) and I have only been asked for the letter once. I was asked on our RCCL cruise out of San Juan just this past June. I was never asked for the letter (even though I had it) when we cruised out of FL (Tampa, Miami, Port Canaveral). Not sure I the cruise lines are getting more strict, if RCCL is more strict than CCL, or if it was due to departure port.

Do what you have to do to get the letter. You may not need it...but you don't want to be stuck without it.

I called Carnival because I am brining my kids without DH since he has to work next year. I asked if I needed a consent form or anything since the dad was not coming. They said as long as my last name and theirs is the same I won't need anything.

I am still going to have DH sign one just to be on the safe side, don't want to get to the ship and be turned away since we don't have all the paperwork onhand.

From the Carnival FAQ

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising,

we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

You will hear a lot of different stories. Many will bring it and never get asked. Some will not bring and not get asked. Some will say they've been asked once after taking X number of cruises.

The bottom line is that they CAN ask for the consent letter and if you don't have it they can deny you boarding. I just had to get one from my ex and this time he decided to be cute and try to hold it up until I gave his lawyer something they wanted. I told him in no uncertain terms that the travel letter was part of our custody agreement, the other document was part of the settlement agreement, I met the requirements for the letter and that I didn't think the judge would appreciate his attempt at blackmailing me when I went back to court for a travel order. Had the letter within the week.

I probably won't be asked, but my last name is different from the boys, so I definitely wanted it.

I got a passport for my girls. I have sole custody so I just provided the passport office with the divorce decree shwoing I had sole custody of the girls and 3 weeks later I had passports. We have taken them on 3 cruises and never had any letter from their father to allow them to go. In fact he didn't even know they were going. We were never asked for anything. maybe it is all on the passport but, they never asked for any forms of documentation. I have a different last name then my girls 2 oldest girls as I have gotten remarried. Never an issue....

From the Carnival FAQ

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising,

we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

You failed to point out that getting off the cruise ship for the day is not debarking. Debarking is what is done at the end of the cruise and no cruise line that I know of debarks in Mexico, although passengers can choose to debark there if they wish.

Similar situation. We are leaving on a cruise next week. My nephew is married and has 3 kids.

2 of his children (12 and 14) are from his first marriage. He has birth certificates for them, but no passports. He cannot obtain a letter of permission from his ex because they have no idea where she is. While I don't think he was formally granted sole custody, she just stopped coming to see her children and hasn't done so for more than 4 or 5 years. They THINK she's still in the area but do not know where, nor how to reach her.

He called our Carnival PVP and asked her and she said he would be fine as long as his last name and theirs is the same on the birth certificate, which it is. He then called back and talked to someone else at Carnival, just to see if he would get a different answer and was told the same thing again.

So.....here's hoping all goes well.

Thanks for all the great answers and information. My daughter is trying to get the consent form signed but there are definitely no guarantees the ex will cooperate. It's not that he is worried about the child (hasn't seen her in five months, no child support for well over a year) he just likes to play games. Daughter and granddaughter now have different last names. We are only visiting Nassau and Half Moon Cay......no Mexico involved in this trip. Planning for the best, but expecting the worst. Thanks again everyone.

Just for the record, I've never personally experienced this situation so I wasn't really aware of 'parental consent' or we would have definitely pursued this much sooner than two weeks before travel!! :eek:

I have a question; If you have a passport for your child and are not showing the birth certificate, how would Carnival know whether or not the consent form you have is signed by the child's actually father?

Because the letter needs to be notarized. My husband never cruises with us, we have been to Mexico, I ALWAYS get the letter notarized. I've NEVER been asked for it. On the other hand, we forgot to do it when my DH drove to Canada with my son, and they did ask! Luckily, they let him in anyway. Do your best and bring whatever documentation you have!

Thanks for all the great answers and information. My daughter is trying to get the consent form signed but there are definitely no guarantees the ex will cooperate. It's not that he is worried about the child (hasn't seen her in five months, no child support for well over a year) he just likes to play games. Daughter and granddaughter now have different last names. We are only visiting Nassau and Half Moon Cay......no Mexico involved in this trip. Planning for the best, but expecting the worst. Thanks again everyone.

Just for the record, I've never personally experienced this situation so I wasn't really aware of 'parental consent' or we would have definitely pursued this much sooner than two weeks before travel!! :eek:

Did the new hubby adopt her since her last name changed? If so, that would put a different light on the whole situation. If so, possibly bring BC and adoption papers.

I have a question; If you have a passport for your child and are not showing the birth certificate, how would Carnival know whether or not the consent form you have is signed by the child's actually father?

That's the reason the letter needs to be notarized.

I have been reading the threads regarding parental consent forms and haven't been able to find the question to my answer. Cruise Critic members, please help me out.

DH, DD, DSIL(new and improved ;)) and DGD, along with myself will be cruising in two weeks. My daughter just remarried and we will be traveling with her four year old daughter. She does have primary custody. She does not have a notartized parental consent form........ex-spouse is, shall we say, 'difficult' to deal with. Took two attempts at even obtaining a passport card for my granddaughter since he had to give permission. If my daughter brings along her copy of divorce papers proving she has primary cutody, will this be accepted in lieu of a parental consent form? Is there any alternative to the parental consent form? Surely someone else has an ex-spouse that is less than cooperative......please help. Thank you.

It may be a little late now but will help later, if you get your divorce decree modified so that you are able to take the kids on vacations that may take them out of the country you will never need to get your X to give consent.

By the way it took me 2 weeks to get mine modified years ago when I was having problems with my X.

Archived