International Jazz Theme clothing

I hope this is in the correct forum since it's about clothing for a theme cruise.

My DH and I are going on our 1st them cruise, the Straight Ahead Jazz cruise in January and we just got some info on the cruise theme. Apparently it's to be International Jazz and cruisers are encouraged to wear clothing in the evening appropriate to the theme. For example they state that formal night is Jazz around the world, or another night is "your favorite nation."

My question is two-fold. How odd does it look if cruisers don't dress the theme? If this was your theme, what the heck would you wear. My DH says, go American. So humorous. I was just getting clothes good for the Caribbean and now I'm freaking. I have months to plan, but fashion is not my thing.

Can any of you fashionistas and world travelers lend me some advice?

Thanks.

Sindee

That's a tough challenge. I'm at a loss to think of standard jazz attire that is typical of any particular part of the world. Let's just say Brazilian jazz, for example. Does any Brazilian jazz musician have attire that immediately makes him or her stand out instantly as a Brazilian jazz musician? I mean woud he or she dress dramatically differently than a South African jazz muscian or a Norwegian jazz muscian or a Californian jazz musician?

You could look at photos of you favorite jazz musicans and see what they are wearing, but I don't know if that will be very much help. Most jazz muscians are known more for their music than their clothing. There might be one or two notable exceptions, but I can't think of any right off hand.

I suggest you try Google Images to see if you can find pics from other cruises put on by this group, y'know? And failing THAT, I'd go "N'Awlins, honey" and find some Bourbon Street pics of entertainers as a guide for "formal" night ;) Masks, maybe, and beads? Yeah, dramatic feather-y masks. I could get into that!

That's what I was thinking. From the Jazz Age of the 20s maybe a flapper style.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think it'd be fairly easy to find a dress with touches of the 20s, especially with Gatsby coming out this past summer.

I have found on the cruises I have been on, that when there is a theme night over 1/2 the people does not dress the theme. However, if this is a theme chartered cruise, then yes, I would expect people to dress themed. Talk to your travel agent or the company running the cruise

According to the website of the production company for the jazz cruise (http://concerts-festivals.theurbanmusicscene.com/2013/04/05/the-jazz-cruise-2014-dedicated-to-straight-ahead-jazz--departs-jan-26th-til-feb-2nd-2014.aspx):

"Stars of the jazz world sailing on The Jazz Cruise for the first time include Manhattan Transfer, Poncho Sanchez, Cedar Walton, Dick Hyman and Gregory Porter. Among the many jazz stars returning to perform onboard include Randy Brecker, Ann Hampton Callaway, Bill Charlap, Clayton Brothers, Freddy Cole, Kurt Elling, Nnenna Freelon, Wycliffe Gordon, Tommy Igoe, Lewis Nash, Houston Person, John Pizzarelli and the world famous Arturo Sandoval."

These are all modern musicians playing mostly post-swing jazz, not 20s and 30s music.

Don't wear a 20's costume. Stick with modern sophisticated dresses. Sandoval and Sanchez might inspire you to wear brightly colored tropical prints, since you're in the Carib and they play Latin jazz.

P.S. Unfortunately, Cedar Walton died a few days ago.

So you all see my dilemma. I don't think the artists are "international artists," so to speak. I'm not sure why it's an international theme. I don't think it's expected to dress as a Brazilian jazz player but as a Brazilian (as an example). The whole ship is chartered for this theme cruise. It was suggested on the roll call for the cruise to look at the pics on their website, but most were of the artists and not the passengers except in their theme t-shirts. I guess I can post a question on their facebook page for now.

Thank you everyone for all your input.

Guest fyree39

This feels more like a class project for a grade than a fun event on a cruise ship. You have much more patience than I do! I'd have thrown in the towel by now and just decided to stay in my room. :(:rolleyes:

Archived