Feedback recent DIY trip to Pisa from Livorno

mimlypops

We have recently returned from CELEBRITY Med cruise including a stop in Livorno. Before we went I was provided with some very helpful advice on this forum to help with our planning for a trip to Pisa and wanted to give you some feedback to hopefully help others.

We are a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and decided we wished to visit Pisa on our stop in Livorno (11 August) and that we would make our own travel arrangements. Well I am happy to say that, as a result of the upfront planning, it worked perfectly and was completely stress free !

Ship docked at 7am but we decided that we would not rush up at the crack of dawn and we therefore disembarked at about 8am after a relaxed breakfast. The first thing we saw when we disembarked was the shuttle bus into Livorno. This was 7euro each return. There were some taxis (minivans) around but they were all trying to sell day trips and there were a lot of people trying to get one. We decided not to try to fight for a taxi to the Livorno Centrale station but instead to jump on the shuttle. This was a good move ! Shuttle left at about 8.15 (and then every 15 mins). Journey took around 15-20 minutes to the square behind Piazza Grande. Cost of taxi would have been 25euro each way and we wouldn't have got on an earlier train so would have gained nothing.

When we got off the shuttle we purchased bus tickets from the tabacchi in the square (1.2euro each) and walked through to Piazza Grande to take the No 1 bus to the Stazione Centrale. This was all very straight forward. We arrived at the station in time to catch the 9.06 train to Pisa Centrale. Now here's the interesting bit. I bought our train tickets on line before we left home. They allowed for a 4 hour travel window on regional trains and were pre validated (we just had to carry photo id ). This was a very good move as the queue for tickets at the station was VERY long and we understand that some fellow cruisers missed the train we caught and had to wait for the next one.

Train to Pisa took just under 20 minutes. We decided to walk from Pisa Centrale to the Piazza del Duomo. It was a Sunday morning and it was a very pleasant 35/40 minute stroll through the town (we headed down Corso Italia and then across the Arno).

Piazza del Duomo was, as expected, very crowded but in no way a disappointment. The tower was just marvellous to see and the other buildings are beautiful. We strolled around and took lots of photographs. We then queued up at the tourist office to get free entry tickets to the Duomo but when we got to the desk were told that no tickets were required that day. I am guessing that this may have been because it was Sunday ? Duomo was beautiful but only needed a few minutes in there as limited access to walk around. We hadn't planned to climb the tower but for your info it was a 3 hour wait for the next available slot. If this is important to you then I would def book in advance.

My son really wanted to eat Pizza in Pisa so we walked down the Via Santa Maria and chose a pretty little cafe with an outside terrace opposite the Chiesa Santa Maria. Pizza was very very good (as was the Chianti Classico !!) and we spent a lovely relaxed hour eating, drinking & watching the world go by. A lovely memory.

We strolled back through the town to Pisa Centrale. The return journey was equally smooth - train then No1 bus back to Piazza Grande in Livorno. There was a shuttle waiting when we got there. I think we were back on the ship by about 3pm. Total travel cost for the 4 of us was under 60euro.

Happy to answer any questions.

Maria

Hi Mimlypops

Great feedback on your trip!

We'll be in Livorno at the end of Sept and we're planning a similar trip to yours; train from Livorno to Lucca with a change at Pisa

It sound like pre purchasing the train tickets is a good idea; did you purchase them from the Trenitalia website? Also when you say 4 hour window, do you mean for outward travel or the entire journey?

Thanks for your help,

Jennybee

Regional train tickets purchased on line have different rules than tickets purchased from a machine or a ticket window in Italy.

The regional ticket purchased on line is for a specific train time; however, you can use it on a later train for up to three hours after the selected time.

Given the time constraints of a port day, this three hour window should be more than enough.

Here is the example given on the Trenitalia web site:

Tickets (printed receipts) are valid for only one journey, on the section requested, on the Suburban, Regional, Direct and Inter-regional trains, provided this is allowed for from among the journey solutions offered by Italian state railways and provided the official departure time (as per Timetable) is within 3 hours from the departure of the train selected when buying (e.g.: a traveller who chooses a journey from Pavia to Milan on train R20266 departing from Pavia at 12.51 can leave from 12.51 until 15.51 on the same day).

You can read the regulations here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=7661d69f1579a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD&vgnextchannel=7a3f99e8e609a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD#3

Hi jeneebee,

Yes I purchased the tickets on the trenitalia website. You will need to register with them first. The 4 hour window works fine. Book the earliest train that you are likely to catch and you have 4 hours from then. It will be plenty of time on a day trip. I booked the outward and return trips as two separate transactions. We booked the regional trains which are much cheaper than intercity BUT just remember on the day that you will only be able to catch the regional trains. This is not a problem as they are regular to Pisa.

We considered Lucca as well as Pisa but decided to just do Pisa on this 1st trip as we didn't know how long we would want to spend in Pisa. Just watch the train times for Lucca. They are not as regular as Pisa after mid morning and so the timings can be tight if you don't make an early start. Lucca looks lovely and that is where we would head on a next visit.

Have fun !

Thanks to both for your helpful info :)

Mimlypops- we decided to visit Lucca as we've been to Florence & Pisa before and wanted a more relaxing day this time around and also because Lucca looks so beautiful.

Thanks again, Jennybee

Hi Jennybee,

You will love Lucca. It is very easy to get there and the train station is right across from the city walls. We rented bikes and enjoyed a magnificent day riding around the ramparts and thru the town. Our time there is one of our favorite memories.

Thanks to mimlypops for a nice review.

Dave

I wouldn't bother buying the tickets online; for a couple of reasons:

• The ticket machines rarely have lineups (as opposed to the ticket counter)
  • The tickets have a limited time window (whereas purchased at the station tickets are valid for 8 hours (including en-route stops)

From Livorno grab a train to Pisa Centrale, change for another train headed to Lucca (on the line to Firenze/Florence). If you want to see the leaning tower, get off one stop PAST Pisa Centrale at Pisa San Rossare, which is only a couple of hundred metres from the tower. Your train ticket is valid for getting off and re-boarding.

I wouldn't bother buying the tickets online; for a couple of reasons:

• The ticket machines rarely have lineups (as opposed to the ticket counter)
  • The tickets have a limited time window (whereas purchased at the station tickets are valid for 8 hours (including en-route stops)

Tickets purchased on line are good for departure for three hours after the time of the selected train.

Tickets purchased at the station are valid for two months, once validated at the start of a journey they are good for six hours, not eight.

The 4th pdf file on this page of the Trenitalia web site (entitled "Utilizzo convalida e validita dei titoli di viaggio") details the terms and conditions of travel on the regional trains.

Under point #1, Biglietti di Corsa Semplice, the third bullet point " Validità" tells you that the ticket is good for six hours, once validated, for trips of less than 200 km.

The fourth bullet point of the same section, " Fermate intermedie" tells you that you can make an unlimited number of stops within the validity of the ticket.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...008916f90aRCRD

Tickets purchased on line are good for departure for three hours after the time of the selected train.

Tickets purchased at the station are valid for two months, once validated at the start of a journey they are good for six hours, not eight.

The 4th pdf file on this page of the Trenitalia web site (entitled "Utilizzo convalida e validita dei titoli di viaggio") details the terms and conditions of travel on the regional trains.

Under point #1, Biglietti di Corsa Semplice, the third bullet point " Validità" tells you that the ticket is good for six hours, once validated, for trips of less than 200 km.

The fourth bullet point of the same section, " Fermate intermedie" tells you that you can make an unlimited number of stops within the validity of the ticket.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...008916f90aRCRD

I had 8 in my mind; but you're right six hours. However 6 hours from when you get to the station, vs 3 based on some arbitrary time you chose months earlier, I'll still stick to buying it from an Automated ticket machine. If you're going from Livorno to Luca with a stop in Pisa, 3 might not be enough if you end up missing just one train.

The regional tickets we purchased were valid for 4 hours. Extract from website below:

After completing your on-line purchase, you will receive an e-mail with a .PDF file attached of the ticket. You then print it and use it directly on board the train. The ticket is nominal and the validity s is 4 hours.

As noted in my previous post, we purchased outward and return as two separate transactions and so had 4 hours flexibility each way. For us, on a day trip, this time window was more than adequate. I can only speak personally but, on the day we travelled, Livorno Centrale was very busy and we know that some people missed the train because the queue to buy tickets was so long. Having never done this before I was glad to have tickets already and avoid stress on the day. I would do this again next time but I appreciate that this would not suit everyone.

I think the confusion is about total validity, vs. when you can board the train. The entire trip must be completed within four hours, so you are only allowed to board a train three hours after the original start time. It all works out the same, but the translation from Italian to English isn't always great and only parts of the regulations are available in English.

I too have experienced huge crowds and long lines at the Livorno station; I don't think there's a lot of risk in pre-purchasing tickets in this instance. In the highly unlikely event that the ship doesn't dock at all, it's not like you'd be out a huge amount of money.

They've probably installed newer machines at the Livorno station since I was last there several years ago, at that time the machines were only in Italian and folks would get stuck in mid-purchase, not understanding what was going on, so the lines at the machines were as bad as for the ticket office.

I think the confusion is about total validity, vs. when you can board the train. The entire trip must be completed within four hours, so you are only allowed to board a train three hours after the original start time. It all works out the same, but the translation from Italian to English isn't always great and only parts of the regulations are available in English.

I too have experienced huge crowds and long lines at the Livorno station; I don't think there's a lot of risk in pre-purchasing tickets in this instance. In the highly unlikely event that the ship doesn't dock at all, it's not like you'd be out a huge amount of money.

They've probably installed newer machines at the Livorno station since I was last there several years ago, at that time the machines were only in Italian and folks would get stuck in mid-purchase, not understanding what was going on, so the lines at the machines were as bad as for the ticket office.

For those machines - can someone verify that they will still take the US-style credit cards and not require chip&pin technology? Directing people to those machines could be an issue in this case.

sorry slight off topic, i also want to visit pisa, however on up coming cruise we are docking in port of Laspezia and not Liverno. Can anyone advise if this is closer or further, can we do on own if so how

La Spezia is three times as far (75k) from Pisa as Livorno (25k); however, you can still get there by train.

From La Spezia Centrale you'll have a choice of regional, intercity, and frecce trains. The morning regional trains take between 1:08 to 1:26 minutes and cost Euro 7.10 each way. Intercity trains take between 53 - 58 minutes and cost 10 Euro each way purchased on site. There is one Frecciabianca train each morning; it takes 50 minutes and costs Euro 14.50 each way purchased on site. While you can get better prices on the Intercity and Frecce trains by purchasing in advance, there is a risk as the tickets are not refundable or transferable if you miss the train.

You can see that the more expensive trains really don't save you much time anyway.

No the machines do not take the US style credit cards -- they read the chip and pin style which means if you have the magnetic strip style you will need to go to the counter to buy your tickets or buy on line in advance.

No the machines do not take the US style credit cards -- they read the chip and pin style which means if you have the magnetic strip style you will need to go to the counter to buy your tickets or buy on line in advance.

Thank you for making that clear.

Archived