Coffee card Princess web site price vs deal onboard

Sailingpeace

Someone kindly posted Royal Patters. I noticed an ad for the coffee card that said : " Save 20% when purchasing a card from any of our bar locations. $29 + 15% gratuity for 15 cappuccinos....(...)".

Princess web site( in the cellar's items you can buy before boarding) sells the card for 31$.

Is 29$ + gratuity the after 20% reduction price ...?

So , if I understand there are three prices for the card; one on the website, one on board, regular price and sometimes a special onboard offer.Maybe I need an expresso to understand that...;)

Someone kindly posted Royal Patters. I noticed an ad for the coffee card that said : " Save 20% when purchasing a card from any of our bar locations. $29 + 15% gratuity for 15 cappuccinos....(...)".

Princess web site( in the cellar's items you can buy before boarding) sells the card for 31$.

Is 29$ + gratuity the after 20% reduction price ...?

So , if I understand there are three prices for the card; one on the website, one on board, regular price and sometimes a special onboard offer.Maybe I need an expresso to understand that...;)

1. Buying precruise is $31

2. Buying on board is $33.35

3. I have never seen a coffee card discounted on board. Or anywhere.

Hi Pia ! Last deal I saw was the two for one coupon...long gone...and missed...

$ 29 + gratuity comes to 33.35... Wonder what the 20% discount is from...?

Maybe I need a glass of wine and not an expresso... ( I still remember that I owe you one...wine that is , not expresso ).

... If it is that it is a reduction from buying coffee without a card... silly me... Such an optimist....

Edited by Sailingpeace

Maybe I need a glass of wine and not an expresso... ( I still remember that I owe you one...wine that is , not expresso ).

... If it is that it is a reduction from buying coffee without a card... silly me... Such an optimist....

So when am I going to cash in? :D

I think they are saying buying 15 specialty coffee's without the card would be 20% more:D

Miss those B1G1 coffee card coupons:mad:

I don't have the actual numbers but I'd guess the 20% is the savings when compared to purchasing 15 specialty coffees individually.

Hmm ... lets work it backwards. $33.75 / 0.8 = $42.19

$42.19 divided by 15 coffees = $2.81 (that includes gratuity)

$2.81 divided by 1.15 = $2.44 for a specialty coffee? That's real rough math but probably pretty close.

1. Buying precruise is $31

2. Buying on board is $33.35

3. I have never seen a coffee card discounted on board. Or anywhere.

I think the reference to a savings of 20% is due to the savings they assume buy purchasing the card at all. I saw the 20% savings in the Patter as well and when I first read it thought maybe some discount offer but it wasn't The Prices you list are correct for purchasing the card.

I am such an optimist... The words save and card so close to each other... Taught the deal was on the card... not on individual coffee price per cup ... Silly me :). Definitely should have had an expresso or two before posting !

Pia, as soon as I am lucky enough to be on the same ship as you ! Hope you are well, best regards.

Can someone tell me what type of cups they serve the brewed coffee and specialty coffees in? Do they have lids? Should I bring a travel mug? Can you use those on board? Also, I am aware of the IC, but how many OTHER places on board can you get a cup of brewed coffee?

Thanks in advanced for the answers.

Can someone tell me what type of cups they serve the brewed coffee and specialty coffees in? Do they have lids? Should I bring a travel mug? Can you use those on board? Also, I am aware of the IC, but how many OTHER places on board can you get a cup of brewed coffee?

They have 2 sizes in to go cups with lids. (12 and 16 oz) They also will serve in glass/ceramic cups if you wish. Your call as to how it is served. While you can bring your own mug you don't have to.

I don't have the actual numbers but I'd guess the 20% is the savings when compared to purchasing 15 specialty coffees individually.

Hmm ... lets work it backwards. $33.75 / 0.8 = $42.19

$42.19 divided by 15 coffees = $2.81 (that includes gratuity)

$2.81 divided by 1.15 = $2.44 for a specialty coffee? That's real rough math but probably pretty close.

Sounds about right, plus the included brewed coffee. So a good deal.

Just as an aside. We had 1 coffee card. We do not drink the specialty coffees. We did ask the server if we could get 2 brewed coffees and use the punch for the extra, they just smiled and gave 2 coffees. We get the card more for convience since for us it kind of ends up costing about the same.

Should I bring a travel mug? Can you use those on board?

You can use a travel mug for brewed coffee & my wife uses her insulated Starbucks container for her frozen coffee drinks.

They have a Princess souvenir insulated mug for $5 when purchasing a coffee card onboard ($7.50 without buying the card). I don't know if you can prepurchase a coffee card for $31 & get the mug for $5 but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You can use a travel mug for brewed coffee & my wife uses her insulated Starbucks container for her frozen coffee drinks.

They have a Princess souvenir insulated mug for $5 when purchasing a coffee card onboard ($7.50 without buying the card). I don't know if you can prepurchase a coffee card for $31 & get the mug for $5 but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have two of the Silver Princess coffee mugs that used to be given with the purchase of the coffee card, but no more. Anyway, I always get a coffee card and a Soda sticker. It just makes ordering any non-alcohol drink so much easier and once they know you at the coffee bar areas getting a cup of the brewed coffee is so much easier as I don't even have to show the card. Too convenient to pass up.:D

Edited by Holomoku

I have two of the Silver Princess coffee mugs that used to be given with the purchase of the coffee card, but no more. Anyway, I always get a coffee card and a Soda sticker. It just makes ordering any non-alcohol drink so much easier and once they know you at the coffee bar areas getting a cup of the brewed coffee is so much easier as I don't even have to show the card. Too convenient to pass up.:D

That's the same silver coffee mug only now it costs an additional $5 to have it "included". ;) I like that coffee mug & brought mine on my last cruise however I may leave it at home & buy another mug.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's the same silver coffee mug only now it costs an additional $5 to have it "included". ;) I like that coffee mug & brought mine on my last cruise however I may leave it at home & buy another mug.

I may take one of mine on the next cruise just to get some use out of it. On sea days it does require a trip to the cabin after coffee to get rid of the mug because it does not fit in my pockets. Such are the trials and tribulations of enjoying another cruise and being spoiled.;)

Does anyone know if you can get speciality coffee on Island Princess,asi understand there is no International Cafe.

Sun City Cruiser

Yes, specialty coffee & brewed coffee are available at the Lobby Bar at the bottom of the atrium. On the Coral they also make specialty coffee drinks at the bar in the Horizon Court but don't recall if it is the same on the Island.

Can anyone tell me if I buy my coffee card on the first of 3 B2B2B cruises (totalling 11 days) if the brewed coffee portion is good for all three cruises, or just the first one. I know the punches are good until they are gone but I wonder about the "free" brewed option.

Can anyone tell me if I buy my coffee card on the first of 3 B2B2B cruises (totalling 11 days) if the brewed coffee portion is good for all three cruises, or just the first one. I know the punches are good until they are gone but I wonder about the "free" brewed option.

I had the same thoughts on our cruise. Although we booked as a 14 day, it was 2 cruises and our cruise card was as such. We did prepurchase the coffee card. When I went to the coffee shop to redeem the voucher we had, I explained the situation. They said it would be no problem and gave a coffee card with no expiration date on it. We had no problem throughout the 14 days. I would just hold on to your cruise cards just in case (as the cruise cards change)

Yes, specialty coffee & brewed coffee are available at the Lobby Bar at the bottom of the atrium. On the Coral they also make specialty coffee drinks at the bar in the Horizon Court but don't recall if it is the same on the Island.

Did they redo the buffet on the Island as they did on the Coral? If so, there would now be a dedicated coffee bar there too.