Three Queens in Southampton 9th May 2014

Lanky Lad

I know all three Queens will be in Southampton on the 9th May 2014. Does anyone know what if anything is planned to mark the occasion?

I will be on Queen Victoria heading for the Baltic :)

Hi Lanky Lad. I looked, but I couldn't find anything. But I can imagine the new Marketing People, after reading your post, saying: "HOLY SHIP! We almost missed that :eek:"

Best wishes for a very enjoyable cruise :) Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

I know all three Queens will be in Southampton on the 9th May 2014. Does anyone know what if anything is planned to mark the occasion?

Lanky Lad - a long time since our paths crossed!

In 2008 we were on the QV when QM2 & QE2 were also in S'ton. QV was at the City Terminal and the QE2 at Mayflower, although she did not sail that evening. The QM2 left the Ocean Terminal and came down to the bottom of S'ton water, turned, and came very close in to the smaller Queens. A magnificent sail past on a fabulous May evening; thousands of people on the decks and the dockside as well as bands. A great privilege to to have been there.

I hope they do the same for you, and have a wonderful trip to the Baltics.

Edited by LadyL1

Hi Lanky Lad

We are also on QV for that voyage and have been wondering the same thing. I suppose they will announce the plans in due course. Personally I hope the Red Arrows do a display to make up for the twice they were unable to due to bad weather.

We're looking forward to spending two weeks on QV very much.

Eddie

Edited by supered

Lanky Lad - a long time since our paths crossed!

In 2008 we were on the QV when QM2 & QE2 were also in S'ton. QV was at the City Terminal and the QE2 at Mayflower, although she did not sail that evening. The QM2 left the Ocean Terminal and came down to the bottom of S'ton water, turned, and came very close in to the smaller Queens. A magnificent sail past on a fabulous May evening; thousands of people on the decks and the dockside as well as bands. A great privilege to to have been there.

I hope they do the same for you, and have a wonderful trip to the Baltics.

Hi LadyL1 yes been a few years.

I was there in 2008 but had to watch from the land. I am looking forward to seeing this one from on board QV :)

Hi Lanky Lad

We are also on QV for that voyage and have been wondering the same thing. I suppose they will announce the plans in due course. Personally I hope the Red Arrows do a display to make up for the twice they were unable to due to bad weather.

We're looking forward to spending two weeks on QV very much.

Eddie

Hi Eddie

I look forward to seeing you on board. Yes the Red Arrows would be good, they did a wonder display in 2007 in Greenock for QE2's 40th anniversary.

Hi LadyL1 yes been a few years.

I was there in 2008 but had to watch from the land. I am looking forward to seeing this one from on board QV :)

Last year they opened the crew doors for us on deck 5 of the QV so we could stand right at the front. There was an announcement about it. I hope they do the same for you.

I will be on this sailing on the QM2. My hope is that we will be part of something like this... :).

Yes that's what I was referring to above. I posted the following on here at the time:

Sail away on the 13th July was excellent. I was on the QV to Norway. The captain announced what was going to happen. That the QE would leave first and then us which meant they would sail past us and we would both sail past the QM2. Then we all left in tandem (after the QM2 had turned round). We all dipped flags in salute and sounded horns. There were loads waving to us on the QM2 with music and flags waving. Cunard had hired a helicopter to take a promotion video and photos of it all and that was circling round for an hour. It was really good that they had opened the crew doors on deck 5 and let us onto the crew area.

We sailed in tandem for quite a while as were all going in the same direction - up the North Sea. The QM2 looked amazing and we went to the stern to watch it follow us. Later on, the QE pulled over and we sailed side by side a half a mile apart until after it went dark. I think the QM2 was still behind us but it pulled right back in the dark.

-------------

What time are you leaving Southampton? Daylight or in the dark for a firework display?

Yes that's what I was referring to above. I posted the following on here at the time:

Sail away on the 13th July was excellent. I was on the QV to Norway. The captain announced what was going to happen. That the QE would leave first and then us which meant they would sail past us and we would both sail past the QM2. Then we all left in tandem (after the QM2 had turned round). We all dipped flags in salute and sounded horns. There were loads waving to us on the QM2 with music and flags waving. Cunard had hired a helicopter to take a promotion video and photos of it all and that was circling round for an hour. It was really good that they had opened the crew doors on deck 5 and let us onto the crew area.

We sailed in tandem for quite a while as were all going in the same direction - up the North Sea. The QM2 looked amazing and we went to the stern to watch it follow us. Later on, the QE pulled over and we sailed side by side a half a mile apart until after it went dark. I think the QM2 was still behind us but it pulled right back in the dark.

-------------

What time are you leaving Southampton? Daylight or in the dark for a firework display?

I love that video. I watch it all the time. I think I read someplace that we're sailing at 4:30, but I'm not positive. I wish we were sailin next week instead of next year. I am truly excited. :D

I love that video. I watch it all the time. I think I read someplace that we're sailing at 4:30, but I'm not positive. I wish we were sailin next week instead of next year. I am truly excited. :D

Here's another video of the three Queens together, this time sailing INTO Southampton. It's very good, but the first video is more dramatic. Nice job by Cunard on both of them however. The British people really know how to do an event with great class and style. It's one of the things that makes me very proud of my heritage. :)

I like those videos.

When we booked the May 9 QM2 sailing we had no idea of this until we learned about it a couple of months ago and we are excited about it. I also believe they will do some special things on the QM2 to celebrate the crossing.

Keith

I like those videos.

When we booked the May 9 QM2 sailing we had no idea of this.

Keith

I did not know about this when I chose the May crossing, but was told about it when I pre booked at the Cruise Show Back in March.

I think the Qm2 should be towed out by the Red Arrows pushed by the QE and QV :D

Here's another video of the three Queens together, this time sailing INTO Southampton. It's very good, but the first video is more dramatic. Nice job by Cunard on both of them however. The British people really know how to do an event with great class and style. It's one of the things that makes me very proud of my heritage. :)

That's the Diamond Jubilee celebration event in June last year. (They left in the dark due to the fireworks). The 3 queens cruise I was on was was in July last year.

Yes I agree they are very good videos. :)

• 8 months later...

QM and QE are currently sailing in tandem less than a mile apart off the southern coast of Portugal. Looks like they are heading for a rendezvous with QV before sailing into Lisbon on Tuesday 6 May. Doesn't seem to be any mention of this anywhere, just noticed on http://www.marinetraffic.com

Ken