London Pass

Vanta

We are going to be spending an extra day in London after our Celebrity Cruise in the Mediterranean. Has anyone purchased the London Pass? We are wondering if it is worth expense as we are only going to be there for the one day. We leave the next afternoon. Do you truly get to bypass most of the lines (cues)?

Opinion on the value varies. If you like to take your time at an attraction, maybe not - you might only visit 2 or 3 in a day. On the other hand, having the Pass might mean that you pop in somewhere for 30 minutes, which you wouldn't do if you had to pay the full entry.

Don't forget that some of the large museums and galleries in London are free, of course.

This page indicates you can skip the queues at a small number of places, but I have no personal experience (and you may be able to do the same by buying single admission tickets in advance):

http://www.londonpass.com/london-attractions/index.html

Also, even the museums that have an entrance charge often have a concessionary price for seniors (over 60). As already mentioned, state owned museums and art galleries don't have an entrance fee and this includes nearly all the major art galleries in London and the British museum. Decide what you would like to see and look on the relevant website and see if there is an entrance charge.

We used a London Pass while we were visiting in 2011. For us, it worked out great and covered most of the additional attractions we wanted to see (Westminster Abbey) and some that we didn't plan to see originally (the Churchill War Rooms).

That said, if you are only going to be there for one day, I'm not sure it would offer the same value. Another question is have you visited London previously? If not, I agree with the other posters that there is a TON of activities that are either free or not covered by the London Pass.

As a Londoner, I would suggest for a 1 day visit (if you have not been before), then go for the HoHo bus or travel on the buses. The Tube is quick but you do not see anything. If you have a couple of 'must-sees' then a Travelcard or an Oyster card is they way to go.

The number 11 bus goes by most of the sights BTW.

I have lived here for 50 years and have not seen everything yet ("If you are tired of London then you are tired of life" - Dr. Johnson)

As a Londoner, I would suggest for a 1 day visit (if you have not been before), then go for the HoHo bus or travel on the buses. The Tube is quick but you do not see anything. If you have a couple of 'must-sees' then a Travelcard or an Oyster card is they way to go.

The number 11 bus goes by most of the sights BTW.

I have lived here for 50 years and have not seen everything yet ("If you are tired of London then you are tired of life" - Dr. Johnson)

Not tired after 36 visits and the 37th for 5 weeks September- October.

Of us no other place we've ever visited comes near for a theatre, food art and family visit.

Archived